#19 Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

Frog,

I completely forgot to check Taylor & Lodge, and it happens they have something very nice :
Réf A120 1
It's a 570g worsted, in super 100s. Presumably an overcoating, but it's quite dry, so it might give good results as a suit. It's certainly "smoothier" than a tweed or any wollen.
Posted Image

Same as usual, sample visible in Paris, and can provide you a cut length if you need (but I'm sure your tailor knows Taylor & Lodge).

Thank you. It does look very nice and in a serious weight :good: , too. As it happens, I am going to London next week and will bring the references with me to check against M & M's books.
Frog in Suit

#20 Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:25 AM

To keep you all posted, I finally went with the John G. Hardy Alsport 2432, (17-17 ½ oz.). It is a hard cloth, with the kind of dry hand I prefer. It should last a long time and looked bold enough, dissolving into a salt and pepper effect at a few paces, without shouting "look at me!" :Hypnotized: .

Posted Image

The others I looked at were too soft, with too much nap for my taste. It will be made into a three-piece lounge, the coat to be SB button three, with horizontal pockets with flaps plus a ticket pocket on the right, a waist coat (SB, perhaps with SB lapels unless that proves too bulky, given the cloth), and trousers with braces and turnups. The lining will be dark red/wine, nearer to a Coteau du Languedoc than a Beaujolais, perhaps…Posted Image

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice.
Frog in Suit

#21 murtadza

murtadza

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:40 PM

Would this be akin to what you're looking for ?

Posted Image

It's black & white micro herringbone (3mm), in a nice 310/330g super 100s worsted by Harrisons (Burley).It's quite wooly for a worsted, similar to Dugdale's English classics (but a tad lighter, though still in a good weight).

This is the lighter herringbone I have, this book has a good selection of darker ones (8 shades from white/black to pure black, with the black & greys between).

If your tailor does not work with them, I can provide you a cut length (in Paris, or send it to them in London). You can visit me in Paris to check the sample, coffee included.

If you're looking for bold herringbone, in the 8mm-1cm wide, I think you need to choose a woolen cloth. I have some nice ones in shetland and saxony, but those a "fuzzier" than worsted.
Maybe this would be nice, it's a saxony with a milled finished, quite smooth, in 390g.
Herringbone is 8mm wide (each row, which means 16mm for an "up and down" ^).

Posted Image

Mill is Marling & Evans, same as Harrisons I can provide it to you. And there is also a darker shade.

Nishijin,

I am from W.Malaysia.
I've been wanting to do me a herringbone suits but unable to find suitable cloth in the weight 390 gm/or slightly less in Saxony/Shetland.It prompt me to ask your good office to help me with getting the above mentioned cloth.Who do I contact for samples.

We don't get many good cloth in Malaysia like the saxony/shetland,mostly the new Super's is available everywhere.

I prefer something stronger then superfine and fuzzier and smooth looks better in the herringbone.

Merry Chrismas

Murtadza

#22 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:44 PM

Murtadza, please contact me via my website or via pm about this, not use the forum.

I cannot send you samples, I only have one of each for my own use and I need to keep it.

If you want samples, you should tell your tailor to get in touch with the mills referenced above. If you want a specific cloth and are willing to buy based on picture and description, then if your tailor does not want to deal with mills, I can send you cloth. But cut lengths only, no sample.
Sorry, I'm not a cloth merchant, I just don't have samples to send.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users