Photo

WANTING TO INTERVIEW TAILORS FOR A HOMEWORK TASK :)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#19 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:40 AM

It really depends on what thread you use in the serger. Try Scala 360 from GŁtermann. This is as thin as possible, it will be thinner than if you hand-serge with cotton.

I am using Serafil 120, I have the strong feeling scala is thinner.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#20 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

The number gives you an idea of thinness. I presume Serafil 120 is similar in thickness to Mara 120, the difference being fiber and method to make the thread (Serafil is continuous polyester fiber, while Mara is coated short fibers - Serafil is good for serging, Mara is good for sewing). Scala 360 is semi-transparent and is the thinnest of threads made by GŁtermann.

My mom saw a few weeks ago the thread I was swing with (Mara 120), and marveled how thin it was. To me, now, it is normal, and compared to Scala 360, it is thick :)

Ask your GŁtermann rep about it.

If you want to stick to Amann, I think Serafil exists in 300, instead of 120. It should do the work too.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#21 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

I think there is also a 180/2 out there, which might be similar (or even the same) as the Scala 360 (just a different way of measuring/ calculating). The "secret" is in the fact that it's not 1xx/3 (which is for sewing), but 1xx/2, which makes it 30% thinner, since it's made of only 2 threads.
There is also thread out there that will make an even flatter seam (I think the German term is "Raschelgarn?), but has the huge disadvantage that it will hook onto anything, even rough skin or the edge of a fingernail, and the seam is ruined.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#22 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

There is also thread out there that will make an even flatter seam (I think the German term is "Raschelgarn?), but has the huge disadvantage that it will hook onto anything, even rough skin or the edge of a fingernail, and the seam is ruined.

I think you mean texture thread, it's collocially called "fil mousse" in French. It irons quite flat, and is what I use most of the time since I like the look better on stuff like 340g worsted, moleskins or other cloths having some "body". On very thin cloth, such as 240g worsted and lighter, I find that this thread becomes to thick, even ironed, and I switch to Scala 360.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#23 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

The number gives you an idea of thinness. I presume Serafil 120 is similar in thickness to Mara 120, the difference being fiber and method to make the thread (Serafil is continuous polyester fiber, while Mara is coated short fibers - Serafil is good for serging, Mara is good for sewing). Scala 360 is semi-transparent and is the thinnest of threads made by GŁtermann.

My mom saw a few weeks ago the thread I was swing with (Mara 120), and marveled how thin it was. To me, now, it is normal, and compared to Scala 360, it is thick :)

Ask your GŁtermann rep about it.

If you want to stick to Amann, I think Serafil exists in 300, instead of 120. It should do the work too.

Serafil 120 is almost 3 times thinner than Mara 120, I have both here. But Skala 360 is at least 2 times thiner maybe even 3 times than serafil 120.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#24 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

actually i thought maybe some people might not want to answer here.

Oh, I see. But it is helpful to other forum members to read the answers.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#25 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I wonder how many are still using a treadle machine-at least in the developed world. But really, the sewing machine itself works the same way with or without electricity.
The question is obviously ill-defined, or without much thought behind it. Though of course so few people sew any more that one could excuse the thought that there must be some modern update that may have changed the essential function.

Hello Terri,

I used my Grandmothers Singer treadle machine for years as a backup when electric was out for days at a time during hurricanes. This machine worked fine, just have to get used to it. To reverse the stitch, just turn wheel towards the back. I no longer have this machine, but would not mind finding another one day.

I had to move the machine near the front window(98" x 110") for light and was open for business.

Kind regards

Jeffrey

Edited by jeffrey2117, 01 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users