46 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

I was delighted to read that the infatigable David Page Coffin has a book and DVD combination coming out soon on trouser making. The book concentrates on the making up of trousers rather than on cutting and assumes the reader already has a working pattern. For more details see here:

http://makingtrouser...c.blogspot.com/

#2 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the plug, Sator!

By way of an introduction, let me establish right away that I'm strictly an enthusiast, NOT a sewing pro, and have no experience in any of the garment-making trades, altho I did once take on a client who wanted some (eight, IIRC) custom shirts, right after I'd completed the self-published version of my shirtmaking book. I learned two things:

1. Making the same thing many times in succession is a fabulous way to improve on how you do it. This is not something the average one-garment-at-a-time hobby sewer is likely to experience.

2. I much prefer writing about sewing to doing it every day. Production, for-others, sewing, that is. Experimental, let's-see-what-happens-if sewing I could happily do every day, for a while at least. I sew for pleasure, not profit, which means when the pleasure wanes, I stop doing it until it beckons once again.

If you put 1 and 2 together, you'll understand why my intended audience, in my several books and many articles, is also the enthusiast, and never the pro. In fact, I regard the subtext of each of my books to be a challenge to the professionals: Fix my mistakes! So far, none have answered, or if they have (I've spotted a few comments in a few fora I don't belong to, never directed to me in person…), they've missed my purpose, and mistaken my goals. The main result of this for-enthusiasts orientation is that I look for solutions that will fit an amateur's skills more often than I attempt to explain a pro's skills, since that would mostly be presumptuous if not downright dishonest, not being in possession of them myself.

Nonetheless, I've always approached the project of writing about the topics I've chosen with the hope that I might be able to create the best thing so far ever written about them, FOR my audience, and to that end I've tried to discover as much sharable info as possible about how the pros have done their work. In each case, my starting point has always been to describe the best garments I can find to examine, so that my exemplars can be impeccable even if my skills can't be. Let it be said that in each case the bar has not been set very high—where is my competition?—and that I fully acknowledge that my access to exceptional garments has been limited, if enthusiastic.

For any here who have seen my shirt book, I'll further explain that while in that earlier work I was trying to show how to recreate at home all the classic features of a top-quality shirt, in the pants book, I seem to have wound up showing why I think the enthusiast can safely dispense with many of the features seen on some top-quality trousers. The problem of course is that there's so much variance amongst trousers compared to shirts; what exactly IS a "classic" trouser feature?

Again, I start by sharing the details of a wide-ish collection of RTW and custom garments, give my reasons for the features I do and don't feel worth replicating, and then show how I make my trousers, always exhorting the reader to make different choices as they see fit. So, the main strength, if any, of my book & DVD for experienced trouser-makers will probably be the range of garments I've been able to show, and the details I've been able to document.

I sincerely hope that at least some pros who bother to read my book will take me up on my implicit request to show me the error of my ways, and will do so either here or on the blog I've started, so that others can make the most of my education or my self-defense! I very much look forward to any such discussions; the prospect of them is one of the reasons I allowed Jeffery D. to lure me into joining this august company.

And with that, I return to lurking.

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:19 AM

There is one shirtmaker in town who thinks very highly of your shirtmaking book. He was the one who told me about it. Although he is rather busy, I hope he drops in soon. I have invited him along and when I spoke to him on the phone, he seemed enthusiastic to join, especially as has been reading your book for years and has many questions for you, along with suggestions for improving. After all, if you cut shirts day in day out, you will streamline your cutting and making system.

I think Jefferyd will agree that knowledgable enthusiasts are extremely welcome here. So I do look forward to your continuing contribution.

#4 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

Very gratifying! Thanks once again.

dpc

#5 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

Yes, Charles has gone through a couple of copies of your book. One went missing when he moved house. His website is here:

http://nakhleshirtmakers.com.au/

The last copy I procured for him. He sounded upset when he couldn't find it recently (the kids playing with his stuff, I suspect). If it doesn't show up maybe we can arrange to buy him an autographed copy.

#6 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

Tell Charles to watch his (snail) mail.

#7 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

FWIW, I have David's shirtmaking book, Claire's couture sewing book, as well as numerous others, and look forward to the Chanel DVD and the pant book. Sometimes when I'm stuck for ideas or need some inspiration they have been great sources for me. While I (as many pros) tend to fixate on the techniques that I know best, it is often the enthusiasts who have a far broader perspective who help me expand my horizons. My recent drape experiment, for example, would have never existed were it not for the animated discussions between amateur enthusiasts, and for that, I welcome your input.

#8 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

I just rang Charles. He is extremely grateful for your generous touch, as he hasn't been able to find your book. He says that although he has since developed his own system, he is deeply indepted to you for publishing that book. He said he would never have made it in the business if it weren't for it. When he has time he will log in and would like to start a thread discussing shirtmaking with you.

#9 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I just rang Charles. He is extremely grateful for your generous touch, as he hasn't been able to find your book. He says that although he has since developed his own system, he is deeply indepted to you for publishing that book. He said he would never have made it in the business if it weren't for it. When he has time he will log in and would like to start a thread discussing shirtmaking with you.

I too am indebted to Mr. Coffin for his enthusiast geared book on shirtmaking. His openminded style of writing motivated me to try his techniques and after making a number of shirts, I have devised my own techniques. I look forward to a thread discussing shirtmaking and can't wait to ask questions about a few challenges I still face. I also eagerly await DPC's trouser making book and DVD.

amateursarto
AMATEURSARTO

#10 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

David, when when when please.

#11 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:29 AM

Another of David's projects which may be of interest to some here and which has just become available is his collaboration with Claire Schaeffer called Behind The Seams- The Schaeffer Collection , Volume One: Chanel.

Readers of my blog know my love of looking inside other makers' garments and in this interactive work we get up close and personal with Claire's extensive collection of Chanel couture and RTW garments, and this is an absolute treat for me! I just started reading it and will be posting a proper review soon. Something to keep me busy while I wait for the trouser book.....

#12 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

They tell me: "August!" (You might be surprised how low on the info food chain a mere author is…)

The Amazon US page for the book/DVD set says August 1st; hope so!
I'm supposed to get advance copies mid-July; if they arrive then, I'll post…

Thanks for the Chanel plug, Jeffery; look forward to your review.

#13 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Well, you know when someone with as many decades of experience as Alex is excited about the book, how well thought of the author is.

#14 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

FLASH! Just rec'd an advance copy of my book, so it's ahead of schedule; should be shipping by the 15th… (It's lovely btw:))

#15 le.gentleman

le.gentleman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

FLASH! Just rec'd an advance copy of my book, so it's ahead of schedule; should be shipping by the 15th… (It's lovely btw:))

So if I buy it on amazon now, it should be shipped on July 15th? Thanks

#16 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

So if I buy it on amazon now, it should be shipped on July 15th? Thanks

That's what my editor tells me, but I can't guarantee it. Basically the printer's ahead of schedule, but there's lots of links in the chain to the shipper, so who knows how it'll play out. But sometime between the 15th and the 1st for sure.

#17 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

I don't know about the rest the forum members but I received my copy yesterday. It looks absolutely splendid, and everything that I had hoped for. This is definitely the gold standard when it comes to books on making up trousers. It is beautifully illustrated and the explanations are crystal clear. A must have for every library!

#18 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

A must have for every library!

Thank you, Sator; I blush…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users