Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,381 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

I wonder why someone wants to become a tailor. The trade is difficult to learn cause of the real cutting knowledge. You need to have money already in order to reach a certain level of customers. Otherwise you get plenty of fortune customer with style forum knowledge, they have learned everything and teach you how to make a suit so they can be sure to get out a 5000$ one where 'they' can brag around with their friends. Those people maybe make decent money, let’s say 20$/h but they expect their 5000$ suit not to be more expensive than 500$, means you the tailor you better work your ass off for 5$/h. This is the majority of all customers. Or, you the tailor you are a real cutter on the table and get to know the right people. A new arrived tailor should have a first profession in order to avoid slavery. So if you make in your first job 18$/h you don't need to prostitute yourself to make some customer, who make 20$/h, a suit for 5$/h. You gone tell the customer, look I make already 18$/h I don't need you to make you a 5000$ suit for cheap. The 'style overbearing customer' will be pissed that his scam didn't work this time and will f.o.

There was that cloth rep from Todd Hudson, Ed Castlenach and had an appointment with me. I give nothing on such mouth movers, he did not even show up here cause there was no money to be made with me. He was probably drinking coffee somewhere with some other tailor and gave a shit on me. So better remember the name of this fortune teller and avoid his business. Those are sales men they need to move their mouths in order to appear busy. I was an IBM Sales Account Manager I know what I am talking about.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 25 September 2012 - 12:06 AM.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#56 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Somehow you need to put in the wow factor the customer is buying prestigious clothes (which they are) and the more they pay is a higher status symbol.
There are three minds to buying. One is cheap. Another is always middle of the road. Last and best are those that want to spend large amounts because they think they are worth the best which they think is gotten by paying losts. The last group is rather sublte, but there are give aways that point them out from the crowd. They know that quality cost lots and they are willing to pay for it. They also are competitive. While they rarely brag they will sometimes in a war with words revile to the loser how much they paid and how cheap the loser wears. So, there is a pride you want to look for when people come in to see what you make and pursue them.

#57 prttyktty76

prttyktty76

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

Are there any in Michigan, I am very interested in becoming an apprentice.

#58 EMTailor1989

EMTailor1989

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

Hello, Are you still looking for a tailoring job?

#59 Enriquetailor

Enriquetailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Hello, Are you still looking for a tailoring job?

Where are you located? Im in New York looking for an apprenticeship. Thank you

#60 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:16 PM

The CTDA has some short classes that maybe helpful. These classes are only a few hours each. Only read about them. Believe they are aimed at CMT. You may meet some tailors worth talking to. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users