#1 SillyBugger

SillyBugger

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm thinking of bespeaking a morning coat, as I'm now getting to the age when a some my friends are getting married, and I can only see the trend continuing. Since a lot of these things tend to be in the spring and summer (not to mention Royal Ascot and the like), and I tend to feel the heat more than the cold, I thought I might get it half-lined or quarter-lined. Is this technically possible, given it's a much more complicated coat than that of a lounge suit, and if it is, what sorts of qualities of the coat would I be compromising as a result?

#2 SINNED

SINNED

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

Choose a lightweight cloth and have it lined. You must have the sleeves, shoulders, tails, and most of foreparts lined so the small amount of the back left unlined seems pointless and can only be to the detriment of the drape and hang.  Choose a silk lining if you can afford it, otherwise high quality viscose but not polyester.  If you have the back of the coat unlined then you will have to line the back of the waistcoat to stop the fabric dragging on your shirt, so it would be better to line the coat and have a backless vest.

#3 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

Choose a silk lining if you can afford it, otherwise high quality viscose but not polyester.  If you have the back of the coat unlined then you will have to line the back of the waistcoat to stop the fabric dragging on your shirt, so it would be better to line the coat and have a backless vest.

Silk has been abandoned as a quality lining as it does not take the wear as needed.  As well as that silk wears hot which this gent wishes to avoid.  A bemberg or viscose lining is what you should go for. 

• Pavel likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users