#1 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:haute couture

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:46 AM

We went to the opera on Mon. The man sitting next to me in not-cheap seats was wearing a chalk-stripe coat and cords. The coat had plain buttons.

I looked around at the next intermission and noticed that several men were wearing jackets that looked like suit coats with unmatched trousers. Is this a new trend?

It raises the question about suit coats and odd jackets. What are the differences? 

Oh, the opera was Tristan and Isolde and it was fabulous!

C

Claire Shaeffer

Author, Couture Sewing Techniques

claire.shaeffer@gmail.com

www.sewfari.org

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:55 AM

Well, suit coats belong to a suit and, unless it's a plain colour, don't really go with anything but the suit trousers.

Odd jackets are actually meant to be stand alone garments and be mixed with odd trousers (it's called a Kombination in German).

However, I have seen pictures of men combining pinstripe suit coats with jeans/ chinos and I must say I'm not a fan.

I don't read men's fashion magazines, so I don't know whether it's a trend or not.

Probably just ignorance on behalf of the people wearing that stuff.

• fronno likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#3 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

I have not thought about that ever but you are right, Claire, the first impression is: That jacket is part of a suit.
I think that odd jackets are designed so, that they play the main role in the outfit. The trouser comes later.
In a suit the whole ensemble is regarded.

lg
posaune
My father bought coats with 2 different trousers in the past.
And they matched - combination of fabric and color and cut was okay.

#4 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:57 AM

The elements that I see that are different are the buttons and fabric.

Blazers generally have metal buttons and a dark (navy) fabric. 

Suits have fabrics with more pattern--stripes, plaids, etc. 

Claire Shaeffer

www.sewfari.org

#5 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

I never think woollens as suits, even cut as such. Nor, woollen for blazers. Suits and blazers are from worsted. Young people are saying all kinds of things. And clothes are changing, anyway. The peacock age is long gone, as other types before. Leaves the question. When is the suit age leaving? And, what will replace it? Suit coat and cords, black tie coat and jeans, etc. combinations. Is this the beginnings of something new? Or, a younger generation, that has hippie parents or grandparents, where there is a break in the suit age lessons, which has left some confusion, or minor changes? It only takes one generation to change life forever. Don't see anything new. It is probably minor changes. As attitudes change, so do the rules. It wasn't that long ago men wore top hat, spats, white gloves, cape, white tie rig to the opening seasons first opera. That expectation seems long gone. Newer generations naturally want to set a new standard. Make their mark in history. When grandad started tailoring frock coats is what business men wore. When the frock coats fell to the side were the tailors telling business men the lounge and reefer was not the correct business wear? What the tailors did was to take the lowly lounge and reefer and made them into a higher standard coat. The younger generation has to figure out what they want to wear. Even if they have to invent it (and smart tailors will figure out how to make it, as they have done throughout history). History often shows that the word "Correct" has a new meaning when used with clothes. Suit coat and cords is an odd combination.
  • dimmerswitch likes this

#6 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 04:52 AM

I agree that about woollens as suit and also blazers, but woollens are used for odd jackets. this would be what I would call an English country look. 

Claire Shaeffer

www.sewfari.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users