Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Since World War III is on its way, I need to make some money.

I can show you how to make your own trousers from alpha to omega in a trouser 16/7 boot camp.

We will produce patterns in metric system which will fit without fittings, then we sew them high end together. The complete iron work will be revealed and the making will be cleaned up from 100 years of fake tailor books and old fashion wrong teachings. I can show you all the secrets tailors are hiding, so you can produce your own 1000$ trousers. Tailors are going to hate you! Once your trouser is ready you might be going to any tailor to get an apprenticeship or just make trousers as little business after the end time. I also show you how to stitch crisp clear gimp buttonholes in a short time. Once you know the secrets its all easy. I also give you copies of all tailor forms for the trouser and show you how to work on original tailor equipment from 1950. I can not show you coats as it is too difficult to learn. You don't need to buy fabric.

When you are here, you will have all German scientific cutting resources from 1936 - 1980, 24/7. This is not available in North America not even in Europe.

I can only teach 2 students at the same time and I need 2500$ for the time here for each person.

If I find two students, we can start at any time until the trouser is ready, 4 weeks should be OK. I have room to sleep, you need to buy your own food.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 08 September 2013 - 01:43 AM.

• tailleuse, Philip_AMS, jeffrey2117 and 1 other like this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#2 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

It sounds like a trap. You'll have us both working in a basement out of your house producing these $1000 trousers for your clients in exchange for board and lodgings (food not included).

Seriously though, I envy the two students who will take up this offer, it sounds spectacular. I just don't currently have the money or the vacation time for it. 

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#3 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hello DZ,

What a bargain priced trouser workshop you offer for the serious student.  Those who are able to participate will be very fortunate indeed. 

If I had someone extra available person to sponsor,  I would send them easily for training with you.

Ball season time is only two weeks approaching and we will be at very busy time of the year until early December.

What level experience would you expect from your students to be able to participate in your workshop?

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

• tailleuse likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#4 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Sounds great. Wish I could do it.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#5 Philip_AMS

Philip_AMS

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

If only you were based in Europe....I'm sure you would get many takers for this.
  • tailleuse likes this

#6 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hello DZ,

What a bargain priced trouser workshop you offer for the serious student.  Those who are able to participate will be very fortunate indeed. 

If I had someone extra available person to sponsor,  I would send them easily for training with you.

Ball season time is only two weeks approaching and we will be at very busy time of the year until early December.

What level experience would you expect from your students to be able to participate in your workshop?

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

You think I am still too cheap? I was guessing this could be a good price for the beginning. But If I get many students I raise the price in 500$ steps. It is just an idea I had, maybe someone really has a need to make a perfect trouser to find an apprenticeship later. The trouser the student produce is their own trouser. I don't even know if 4 weeks is enough. There must be some fundament knowledge. To train someone with absolute no knowledge is probably useless for the person. You need to have some math knowledge and an eye for detail, otherwise stay away to become a tailor.

• tailleuse likes this

#7 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

If only you were based in Europe....I'm sure you would get many takers for this.

They need to take an airplane then.

• tailleuse likes this

#8 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'd like to do this, and I've got family and friends in Houston, but I can't take off for that long a period.  Here's a thought: video record your instruction and sell it via digital download.  I'd go for that too.  Just a thought...

• tailleuse and arthurkrichevsky like this
AMATEURSARTO

#9 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

You think I am still too cheap? I was guessing this could be a good price for the beginning. But If I get many students I raise the price in 500$ steps. It is just an idea I had, maybe someone really has a need to make a perfect trouser to find an apprenticeship later. The trouser the student produce is their own trouser. I don't even know if 4 weeks is enough. There must be some fundament knowledge. To train someone with absolute no knowledge is probably useless for the person. You need to have some math knowledge and an eye for detail, otherwise stay away to become a tailor.

Hello DZ,

I think it is a good starting cost for beginning your workshop.   Once the four weeks are over, you should have been able to identify changes and make adjustments to your workshop learning environment for the next time.

The price for your workshop fee is low cost, given the number of days and that it also includes a room to stay, even though they must provide for their own food and transportation.   

A person can find low cost airfare to Houston, TX, from any international airport route in the U.S. and Europe if you look around.

The knowledge, experience and training that they would receive from you would greatly benefit the student and business who wishes to sponsor them to attend, which may possibly be tax deductible?  The CPA would know these things.

I believe this workshop is a great knowledge opportunity that should not be missed.

I wish you the best with this workshop.

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

• tailleuse likes this
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#10 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

If a student already owns a sewing-related business, then the continuing education is deductible. If you're learning a new skill to prepare to start a business, it is considered personal enrichment and is, therefore, not deductible.

• tailleuse likes this

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#11 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hello JCSProwls,

Thank you for the information regarding deductions for business, very good to know and I appreciate your taken time to post a reply. 

Kind regards

Jeffrey2117

• tailleuse likes this

#12 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Only personal enrichment in order to find maybe an apprenticeship. It is not needed that two students start at the same time, they come as necessary. It is like a tutoring to help students to get out of the darkness of tailoring instead they try on their own with sticking in all kind of materials with no success.  A trouser boot camp. You can learn here things that will take ages if you want to learn it on your own.  

If I would show you how to make 5000$ coats, tailors would gone hate us until hell. If you would know how easy that is... But I can not do that, only if someone is really progressive. An engineer would be able to learn how to make a complete suit in a very short time as they have a different mind set. But engineers have better jobs than making suits other than for themselves maybe.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 11 September 2013 - 01:32 PM.

• tailleuse likes this

#13 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 AM

Start with the trouser class, DZ. Let students demonstrate they're ready to progress into the coats before you spend all that time creating a structured class for them.

I generally waited until my staff were consistently maintaining quota and quality in better trousers for 3-4 months before I moved them to budget (i.e. fused, unshaped) coats. After I held them there for 6 months, I would cherrypick who to bring in for weekend training to qualify them to move up to better coats.

If they use the lower level knowledge to open a sewing-related business, then the coat class would be a qualified expense for them. This allows you to charge a more appropriate rate because they will have experienced the return on their initial investment.

Edited by jcsprowls, 08 September 2013 - 05:15 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#14 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Showing a coat is quite complex and needs to start with trouser for a beginner. If someone is in a good mind, I could teach a coat and it would safe an apprentice a couple of years working as a slave for a tailor or trying to read endless expensive Tailor books with no success by stumbling from one problem into another one. If the cutting is not right, there is no way of ever to make a perfect suit. Even I improve my work constantly in cutting and making, but I am quite close to get nice results. Those tailor books are so full of rubbish, it is really not easy to weed the nonsense out and it takes an enormous effort of analytical reasoning.

Right now I am going to college to pass a couple of courses, if I get a job, the workshop windows closes here eventually.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 11 September 2013 - 01:33 PM.

• tailleuse and napoli like this

#15 A. Ferrell

A. Ferrell

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:32 AM

I would be very interested in this if I had vacation time, but I've used all mine up until the new year. If you were to offer such a course again in 2014, DZ, I would do what I could to attend.

Andrew

• tailleuse likes this

#16 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

We will see what is in 2014 then.

• tailleuse likes this

#17 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:42 AM

I would go without a doubt if I were in the US. As I am not, sadly  I am going to Napoli.

• tailleuse likes this

#18 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Ey , why don't you make videos as well. Our friend Maldonado has literally hundreds of students worldwide.

If you do, you must give me the videos and  lessons for free or I will send you the ASCAP, american editor right association to collect my royalties for the idea.  :super:  :sorcerer:

• tailleuse likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users