#1 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

Dear All.

As I am sure most of you are aware, I moved back to Ireland from New York in 2016 to start my own school of tailoring, The Handcraft Tailor Academy. I am proud to say that so far it has been a great success and I have no regrets leaving New York behind and moving to the tranquil Irish countryside. In the past year I have completed my drafting book 'Pattern Drafting for Bespoke Menswear, the Imperial System' and added a number of new online courses, which have allowed so many people to learn tailoring skills, that may have otherwise eluded them. 

Like so many, my online students would love to take the time and career break necessary to join me on one of my in-house courses, immersing themselves in the magical world of tailoring, devoid of outside influences and distractions. Alas not everyone can take the time away from their commitments and responsibilities, so I have introduced a number of online options, so that you too can learn a new skill, from the comfort of your own home.

The first course I offered in-house back when I launched The Handcraft Tailor Academy and welcomed my then student and now good friend Tom Bennett to Ireland, was Pattern Drafting for Bespoke Menswear. This course is also available online as a ten week program with two one hour lessons per week. Backed up by my new book of the same name, live one to one demonstrations over Skype video calls and the option to record the lesson for future learning, it is certainly a good rival to the in-house course. Students are encouraged to mail their patterns in weekly for assessment and some much needed feed back on their progression. This course covers everything from taking Measurements, to Figuration, Pattern Manipulation & Alteration, Coat, Waistcoat, Overcoat and Trouser Drafts for Regular and Disproportionate figures.

As the thirst for knowledge from my international students seemed unquenchable and video series seemed so impersonal I bowed to demand and now offer online making courses too. Supported by trimming packages from Dugdale Brothers in Huddersfield England, students can be reassured that when they take my online making course their raw materials are an exact match to the ones I am using during all of our lessons. Whether its my 'Waistcoat Making the Savile Row Method' or 'Men's Bespoke Trouser Making' course, you decide what size and style you would like me to demonstrate. Perhaps you've always wondered how I draft and make my signature Trousers, Brace-top, half band with full extensions or would like the emulate a style you have seen in a Hollywood production or BBC series. 

I work with all my students to give them a unique learning experience and not limit them to my own style and preferences.

Alas Coat making is too broad and complex to offer through live demonstrations, after almost twelve months of filming, I can now say with confidence I am only weeks away from launching my new and complete video series 'The making of a Handcraft Coat'. Unlike my last video series this is a how-to series and covers every step in depth and is also backed up with a trimming package from Dugdale Brothers. Once this series is complete it will be available to view on my website.

If you would like to find out more about the courses available from The Handcraft Tailor Academy please visit my website www.Handcrafttailor.com where I have listed all the courses available until the Summer of 2019, under the heading "COURSES".

If you have any comments or suggestions I would love to hear from you and you can contact me directly on Roryduffybespoke@gmail.com

All the best for 2019, keep sewing.

• Bobbie, Schneiderfrei, Simiquaver and 6 others like this
Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo
Blogspot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trouser making, Waistcoat making, Pattern drafting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users