#1 LuKas02

LuKas02

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

Hello everyone,

Here I am addressing more specifically to the french readers (as I don't think this method has been translated to English, German or other language).

I just got my hands on the 23rd edition of the Ladevèze Darroux cutting method for ladies which has been edited in 1967.

I would like to know if anybody has experience with it and if, as for men, it should be considered as one of the last good years before too much simplifications killed the fit and the adaptability.

Thanks for the feedback.
Lucas.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

It's not the quantity of years in life, it's the quantity of life in years. That's the way of the shokunin.

#2 fronno

fronno

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, designing, sewing, drawing, teaching

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:50 AM

Hello LuKas02,

It is translated into Spanish!. For your direct answer, sorry I can not help you, I am working with Esmod and Rundschau (Müller & Sohn)

Kind regards

• LuKas02 and Schneiderfrei like this

#3 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 02:33 AM

It is maybe like in all proportional systems. After the war there was a tailoring "hype".
The books from around 1950 to 1970 are very nice to have.
But the industry enlarged the textile production more and more and produced cheaper and cheaper.
Tailoring is now at a low level.
To live the fashion schools adapted their curriculums, because their absolvents work in the industry.
Nowadays the pattern are done so that par example: the garment fit a Bust 90 up tom 98.
So be happy with your book.
lg
posaune
  • fronno, the4roads, LuKas02 and 1 other like this

#4 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Here's the real question... " Does it work for you?" If it does and you can get a lovely silhouette with modern appeal then use it. If you find it dated and and not in line with modern tastes, scrap it. The "fit" of the block is what's important, the style lines can be changed. For example, the T&C system found in the Cutters Practical Guide was first published by Vincent in 1888 and the basic skeleton changed very little in its history because the system works and there are cutters that still use it or a variation of it today. There are also Savile Row houses who still use an evolution of Thorntons. Form follows function
  • fronno, the4roads, LuKas02 and 1 other like this
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#5 LuKas02

LuKas02

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Thank you all for your answers. I guess my initial will to try it and see for myself was the right one.

I was just afraid that this method would be known to be needing too much alterations and that my time would have been better used in trying another method.

J. Maclochlainn, if Jeffery D. is the zen monk of lapel buttonholes, you definitely are the poet thinker of tailoring. Not the first time I have this thought about you, always a pleasure to read what you write. :thumbsup:

• fronno, the4roads and Schneiderfrei like this

It's not the quantity of years in life, it's the quantity of life in years. That's the way of the shokunin.

#6 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

I've always liked to think I was the grumpy neighbour of tailoring, then I realised DZ has that market covered. Thank you for your kind words though. We really have to have the passion and love of the art. As such we should have a fraternity to support and help everyone.
  • Der Zuschneider, fronno, the4roads and 2 others like this
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users