10 replies to this topic

#1 J.Kelner

J.Kelner

Apprentice

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:48 AM

A website that apparently goes through step-by-step video courses in how to tailor garments.

Thoughts?

Edited by J. Kelner, 21 September 2010 - 10:49 AM.

#2 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

from what i see the tailor here simplifies tailoring to fit the home sewer.  i thihnk the education you'll get here will surpass what he provides.  it seems like he gives a good overview of the process, bit i don't know how in depth you can go with internet posted videos .  it just seems like something is missing.  who knows,  he may be very expansive in his tutorials.  i plan to subscribe for one month just to see.  i do think his idea is ingenius though.  i'd certainly subscribe if one of the pros here were doing this.

Edited by amateursarto, 21 September 2010 - 12:06 PM.

AMATEURSARTO

#3 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

Fused sleeve cuff is not tailoring. Fuse destroys the properties of the cloth. If you want to learn tailoring stay away from fuse. My view is if you are going to bring fuse here then you don't belong here.

One of the rules for this site for beginners to read is- no fuse. Don't even ask.

#4 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

I'm just finishing my first fused coat. I agree with Greger this is no tailoring. This is cheating. It's much easier to do, but the result is not the same at all that on a not-fused-at-all coat.
If you want to do pretty stuff, ok, fuse. But if you want to learn real tailoring, the real stuff to make gorgeous garments, then fuse is the devil.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#5 J.Kelner

J.Kelner

Apprentice

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

So in other words, the site could be best compared to "Tailoring", by the Singer Corporation. Makes sense.

#6 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

in another thread (the one where the guy was making a suit for a wedding), it was suggested by someone that a beginner make a fused coat first. so which is it?
AMATEURSARTO

#7 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

That guy had less than a month to make a three piece garment.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#8 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

He only had few days to make. The garment would be worn probably only a few times.

The problem is Amateursarto, will you ever make a real quality suit, or just those non tailored garments? Will you be basting your judgements upon what a fuse can do and never learn what tailoring can do? If this place is about tailoring, which fuse isn't, then there is almost no reason to ever bring it up. You can waste a life time on hundreds of other sites that talk about fuse, why bring it here? Maybe if you ever start making a real coat you'll wish you hadn't wasted your time with fuse. Would you rather have a solid 24 carat gold ring or a plastic one with thin gold foil covering it? There is a difference between luxury and junk, and sometimes they look the same, but they are at opposite ends. This site is about high end. Not middle or low end. Is there something wrong with this place only being high end? Do you want something less? If you know the best, then all the other that is less is simple and it is boring to write about.

#9 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

That guy had less than a month to make a three piece garment.

Or to look at it another way, this forum is a continuously evolving experiment. It's an experiment that's never been done before. When we started I thought this forum should encompass RTW and homesewing as well. With time, and much discussion, a strong consensus has emerged that these dilute down the identity of the forum. There already are websites that cater to RTW manufacturing and homesewers. There is no reason to run a restaurant that offers kosher and halal food at the same time.

At that time, it seemed the right thing to advise him to fuse his coat. These days we are increasingly more inclined to say that beginners have to learn to respect the difficulty of the trade and the need to take the task of learning slowly and seriously. You can't rush it.

In a properly structured teaching environment you would be made to start from basics, and the experienced teachers here are all in agreement that we need to impose a little of this sort of structure on beginners to try to temper their enthusiasm.

All of this is part of the ongoing experiment of using the internet to keep the art of tailoring alive. Are we doing the right thing? Only time will tell.

#10 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

The very first coat I made a few years ago, which is pure crap, was fused, because at that time I knew no other way (and I had no time, too). I knew nothing about tailoring (and nothing about fuse, either), and I made crap.
Since then, I studied tailoring.
And recently, I had to make a fused coat, for business reasons (I do not like that, but business is business). Having a little experience in tailoring, fusing was a breathe : I knew where I needed to reinforce the cloth, so I could choose the different kinds of fusing I needed (yes, a fused coat has several different fusing inside), and I knew how to make a garment so fusing was actually easier than usual.

Learning fusing first will teach you nothing about making a real properly tailored coat.

BTW, if you read the thread in reference, you'll see that everybody said that the guy did not have enough time for his project, and that everybody thought he should go step by step instead of jumping right into a very difficult project. Still, people usually do not listen when we say so...
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#11 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Don't understand it wrong sometimes you have to ‘cheat’ a little with a thin fusing in the front which you won’t hardly feel.
There is bad fusing and smart fusing. There is even expensive canvas for small parts to be fused, like little flaps or piping.
All fusing depends how smart you choose the fusing material.

A beginner should start without fusing and no tropical/light fabric so the learning effect is better. Then later he should fuse a coat to see the difference.
If a newcomer is fusing, the coat might not get the fullness and stays flat like a pancake.
The newcomer might choose wrong fusing material and also it is not easy to iron the fusing on the fabric in the whole front if you don’t have a fixing press.
Fusing should only applied to tropical and other light fabric.

In traditional tailoring with good worsted wool above 10oz there is no need to fuse.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 23 September 2010 - 09:59 PM.

www.berlinbespokesuits.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users