6 replies to this topic

#1 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

I have a 3 panel boxer short pattern. I would like to perform the large trunk alteration as indicated below on the trouser pattern on the 3 panel boxer short pattern. What is the proper way to make this pattern alteration?

Large Trunk Alteration:

0nNnzsr.png

Boxer Short Pattern:

6maXUqa.jpg

#2 peterle

peterle

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Find the point at the leg hemline where the line begins to curve.

Draw a straight line from this point to the single notch on the back panel seam.

Cut this line beginning at the back panel seam, ending at the leg hemline. Don´t cut the hem allowance, you need it as a hinge.

Now spread the slash for about 1 to 1,5cm at the back panel seam. Secure it with tape.

Measure how much the back panel seam got longer.

Draw a straight line across the center back piece from the single notch of the panel seam to the other single notch.

Cut this line and spread it the same amount you measured before. The panel seam line must have the seam length in the both pattern pieces.

Secure with tape.

Smooth the altered lines.

What do you want to achieve with this alteration? In long trousers this alteration is made to get rid of folds under the butt, so it seems pretty useless to me for boxer shorts.

#3 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

Thank you Peter! I'll give your instructions a go.

For the boxers, the 2 seams at the back are clinging to the seat a little too closely and dragging the shorts down a bit to the bottom of the back. I'm trying to allow for more volume in the back while keeping the front the same.

If you have an alternative suggestion, do let me know!

#4 peterle

peterle

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:08 PM

Ok, I see. The alteration will make the panel seams a bit longer, so it works probably for your purpose. In this case I would aim the slash a bit higher above the single notch. Just a feeling. Often the run of the folds give a hint where the garment needs more length.

For this particular pattern I would cut the back panel in bias direction and sew it with a stretchy stitch (overlocker or a narrow zig zag). So the panel seams have more elasticity than when cut on grain and can adapt better to the body contours.

#5 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

Interesting idea about the bias and stitching!

I Hope you don't mind, but I'm quite new at this so I just want to check if I understand this correctly.

I should make a wedge on right + left pattern as illustrated on only the right side below. Then add the appropriate length to the center back pattern.

Af0aNYH.png

#6 peterle

peterle

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 24 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

yes, exactly.

#7 ballmouse

ballmouse

Umsie