#1 Moahiek

Moahiek

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

Dear all tailors and seamstresses,

Like many others on this site I am looking to start my own tailoring business and have been very fortunate to have found this community!

I learned alot here and as I build my business plan I would really appreciate any advice on the below questions.

1) What are the biggest expenses for a tailoring business?

2) what is the most time consuming process in making a tailored suit? Why does it take so long assuming it is not outsourced.

3) What do you call the person that takes measurements and but is not the actual tailor? What sort of skills does this person need?

4)What can you customize in terms of fit with the first loosely made garment (is it called a dummy or baste fitting garment?) compared to altering an off the rack suit?
Trying to maximize JIT and Mtm!

5) Do tailors frown upon customers bringing in their own fabric? If so, under what circumstances would they welcome it? I understand there are off seasons with regular garment factories who would offer better prices to fill up their capacities.

That's all for now and any input would be much appreciated!

Robbie
  • tailleuse likes this

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:32 AM

Sorry, but until you give us a brief introduction (professional background and so on) in the Welcome to new members thread this one will be locked.

And given your questions I doubt that you have any tailoring experience, otherwise you would know the answer to a lot of them already!

• Katherine Maylin, Der Zuschneider, MANSIE WAUCH and 4 others like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#3 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:49 AM

If you ask those questions, may I suggest spending a few weeks going through the forums - you'll find all the answers you need in previous conversations.

• ChiTownTailor likes this
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Business, financials, operations, tailor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users