5 replies to this topic

#1 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:05 PM

I am just finishing up Rory's Handcraft Tailoring Academy's online pattern drafting course, and thought I'd give a quick review for those who are considering this option.

Through my work I was given the opportunity to take his online certification course, and I must say I was not disappointed. The course is well thought out and given in bite sized modules that allows the student time to digest and practice the materials. The one on one tuition is nearly as good as being there with clear and concise explanations that is suitable for the novice as well as those more experienced in the trade. I came into this with an open mind with no preconceived notions and kept my own opinions and experience to myself. It allowed me to glean into the workings of another talented tailor. An experience I was glad to take part in.

I am also happy to report that everything is based upon Rory's real world experiences. You will not find this course over saturated in superfluous theory, he lays out his system as it works for him and nothing else. The system, while can be done proportionally, its true strength lies in bespoke cutting. You will also find that there are no polemics bashing other tailors or systems, which was quite refreshing.

I will admit I was not the best student. Drafting and tailoring all day and then studying more in the evening did start to wear on me. So bear this in mind, if you are already in the trade, be mindful that for 10 weeks or 20 modules you will be eating, sleeping and living drafting. Rory has been patient with me, so I hope I didn't piss him off too much. Also make sure you have a decent work table, I only have a 26" deep countertop at my house, so each draft took much longer and was overly frustrating and not efficient at all.

In closing, I feel the course is certainly worth its cost. So if you're new to bespoke drafting, this will give you a great foundation to start your journey. If you're like me and getting back into the trade, it is a great confidence booster as for as much I learned it truly reinforced what I have known and now feel refreshed and no longer feeling hindered by my own insecurities. Now I just hope I passed, I need to put this into practical application to get the most out of it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or DM me.
  • Alfye, jeffrey2117, Schneiderfrei and 4 others like this
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#2 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the report. His school sounds good. Your the second person that speaks well of him and his lessons. 

A suggestion. Have a hardwear store, or carpenter, cut a piece of plywood, or something similar, the size for making patterns. You can lean it up against a wall, or slide it into a a closet when not in use. Might need 2 or 4 legs. If you can find an old engineers drafting table the right size they also work really well. Engineers use computers nowadays. An older engineer would be able to tell you how to make one. The plywood method is so handy. Plywood made out of Birchwood is probably the lightest for handling. 

Edited by greger, 11 December 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#3 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

Thanks Gregor I have plans to build a proper cutting table at my house, however there has been scheduling issues with my friend with a truck. Hope to have it done soon. 👍
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#4 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:37 AM

I was that first person: Glad you had a great experience Jason with Rory and his online course.  A very patient teacher and as you say there is no waffle or bad-mouthing anyone in the industry, or Savile Row as some tailors do in this country.  I use the system daily and really have not found any particular issues when fitting the coat to the client, of course I have only been in practice since I got back form Ireland in March of this year but delight in the ease and speed in which the draft can be completed.  For those interested in coat making I would also recommend his course on that subject.  Have to agree with Jason, for Rory's online course make sure you have a good drafting surface, and a good supply of brown paper.  If you are attending his academy then I do recommend driving over so it is easier to take over necessary materials etc, obviously if one is coming from the UK.

Edited by tombennett, 13 December 2017 - 01:05 AM.

• Schneiderfrei and Zephyr like this

#5 PoHappiness

PoHappiness

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:27 AM

Wow interesting. Thanks for sharing your feedback. 

I will definitely be looking into this as I grow more competent. 

EDIT: 

Sorry, I looked to Rory's blog, but didn't see the online course. 

Do you mind sharing a link to his online course?

Edited by PoHappiness, 12 December 2017 - 03:30 AM.

#6 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Am pleased that I could provide a service to satisfy my students both for online and in-house.

I wish Tom and Lachlan all the best with their careers and remain only an email away for any questions they may have in the future.

There is currently no information available regarding my online courses on either my blog or website, an issue I intend to resolve in due course.Have promoted mostly through Instagram and Facebook, sending out all info direct to those enquiring.

In January I will be hosting the first of my online making courses.
The Making of a Handcraft Waistcoat, will be available to anyone wishing to apply. Like my online course Pattern Drafting for Bespoke Menswear, the classes will be a live video feed over Skype which students will have the option to record (everyone does).

Planning to offer a Coat Making course over the summer too.
Have partnered with Dugdale Brothers in Huddersfields who will provide a trimming package to students at an affordable rate.

Anyone who is interested should email me at Roryduffybespoke@gmail.com
  • Zephyr likes this
Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo
Blogspot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users