napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

I found that chisels work best
http://www.nancysnot...er 3 pc set.do.
I have some in different width from a hard ware shop. They are used by carpenters.
I get a very clean cut and the hole will not fray so easily. If I ever do a hand made button hole, I prestitch with the machine.
Now nail me to the cross!:-)
lg
Posaune
I think the german expression: ein Knopfloch schlagen (Means maybe (not sure about the verb) knock in or bash in the buttonhole) originates from using this tool.

His, that link canīt be accessed without being a member, could you please take a picture and post it instead?

cheers

#38 Claire Shaeffer

Claire Shaeffer

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:haute couture

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I can add a few hints that may be helpful.

Experienced tailors know to insert the needle from the underside, but if you're just learning, it's easy to confuse the buttonhole stitch with a blanket stitch.

The keyhole buttonhole is for tailored garments; in dressmaking you frequently use straight buttonholes and a fine silk thread.

After waxing the thread, put it between two paper towels and press so the wax melts into the fibers. It will be easier to handle and the wax won't rub off as you make the stitches. I wax and press several yards at the outset and wind it onto a spool for use as needed.

To reduce fraying at the opening, use a small knife, heat, and beeswax to seal the edges.Hold the buttonhole with wrong sides together and both cut edges on top.  I warm the knife with a hot iron, quickly rub it over the beeswax, then rub it over the edges. Lastly,I overcast the edges if needed.

When making the stitch, begin by holding both threads close to the needle eye. Slide your fingers away from the needle until you have enough thread to wrap it under the needle point in the direction you are going. If you keep this in mind you can work top to bottom, vice versa, right to left or left to right. I realize that old-school tailors will work in only one direction but if you are left handed or learning these directions will be helpful.

The stitches around the buttonhole can be used as a guide for the depth of the buttonhole stitches and the closeness. I have to work to avoid crowding my stitches.

When I teach thread buttonholes, I teach the stitch first; it's a waste of time to try to make a buttonhole before your stitch is perfect.

• tailleuse, ladhrann and cperry like this

Claire Shaeffer

Author, Couture Sewing Techniques

claire.shaeffer@gmail.com

www.sewfari.org

#39 Proudmoore

Proudmoore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:vintage, fibers

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Very precise, very thorough. I hope I can work it out now with the guidelines. Also CLaire - THANK YOU for your tips. Having read them I am starting to have an idea where I made a mistake and why the buttonholes never looked as they were supposed to. I am gonna perfect my stitch first using your rules and then move on to proper buttonholes making.

#40 Faya

Faya

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Sewing, crochet and knitting.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

A video about making a Milanese buttonhole:

• adelrio likes this

#41 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

Has anyone observed the square cut, two piece collar; with the front facing finishing in line with the lapel!   A sure sign of a ready to wear coat.

Edited by MANSIE WAUCH, 07 February 2015 - 09:45 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#42 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

If not yet done check out this step by step guide to the tailored buttonhole.
http://williamscloth...nhole-tutorial/

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 17 February 2015 - 10:10 PM.

• tailleuse and cperry like this
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

#43 littlemind

littlemind

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

Rory Duffy has recently published a video of him making a buttonhole on his vimeo stream:

Edited by littlemind, 05 March 2015 - 08:38 AM.

• tailleuse, A. Ferrell, Henry Hall and 5 others like this

#44 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

I hope its okay to post this here. As it is so difficult to locate silk buttonhole twist - especially when a large amount of a special color is not required - has anyone ordered from Carmen Warehouse recently? They seem to have bought Gilbreath. They are carrying Italian, Cucirini Tre Stelle in 11 yard spools, 24 wt.

I'm always a bit hesitant to order from unknown sources. Any thoughts?

#45 Darren Beaman

Darren Beaman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:51 PM

This my help too

#46 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:11 AM

I hope its okay to post this here. As it is so difficult to locate silk buttonhole twist - especially when a large amount of a special color is not required - has anyone ordered from Carmen Warehouse recently? They seem to have bought Gilbreath. They are carrying Italian, Cucirini Tre Stelle in 11 yard spools, 24 wt.

I'm always a bit hesitant to order from unknown sources. Any thoughts?

$2 for 30 meters.

http://www.baytailor...hole-twist-30m/

• cperry likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#47 KristineS

KristineS

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the step by step points. It helped me in the last week to stitch a shirt for my husband.

#48 Merlene

Merlene

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for sharing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users