Photo

Cufflink post length (how tight should it be)

cufflink

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alberttsemetalsmith

Alberttsemetalsmith

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hello all, 

I am working on some cufflinks and was hoping that I could get some information on what for tailors is the ideal post length on cufflinks are.

Attached File  FullSizeRender (18).jpg   23.75KB   1 downloadsAttached File  FullSizeRender (17).jpg   65.93KB   1 downloads

Currently the posts on the cufflinks that I am making are 15.5mm in length, do you think that it is too long? how fitted should they be on the cuff and is it preferable to have a bend in the post or just keep it straight?

I have spoken to a tailor and he said that it was a little bit long.

Thanks 

#2 LuKas02

LuKas02

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

There are no absolute rules. If the wearer has a shirt with thick fabric and thick interlining, 15mm may not be too much. It will keep the easiness of pining the cufflinks and not create too much tension when worn.

If the shirt has thin fabric 15mm will definitely be a bit too much. I think the most compatible length would bee around 12mm.

By the way, do you do cufflinks as hobbies or for a living?

It's not the quantity of years in life, it's the quantity of life in years. That's the way of the shokunin.

#3 Dunc

Dunc

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Shirtmaking

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:38 AM

Mine are all 13 - 15mm, with the exception of my vintage gold-faced silver chain links, which have a full 25mm of chain. (Well, I guess it would have been 1" at the time...)

• Schneiderfrei likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users