Photo

Not a tailor, but need advice; What causes a roll like this on a shirt?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 teknique

teknique

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:52 AM

Figured it'd be best to ask here since you all know the inner workings of shirt making quite accurately

This is a picture of the shirt on both my body and hanger, as you can see there is a crazy "roll" on both sides of my upper shoulder area. I was told this may be due to "forward shoulders" but I honestly don't see how that's possible considering the same roll is present on a hanger.

bb50fd4f0361437f5faa8a2113b3f544.jpg

This is a picture of the shirt on both my body and hanger, as you can see there is a crazy "roll" on both sides of my upper shoulder area. I was told this may be due to "forward shoulders" but I honestly don't see how that's possible considering the same roll is present on a hanger.

#2 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:42 PM

Sorry Teknique, I only see the image of the shirt on the hanger.

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#3 dpcoffin

dpcoffin

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:46 AM

Whatever's causing it, any sort of roll, bump, wrinkle like this is simply a sign of excess length in the piece that's rolling. Simplest way I know of to start tackling getting rid of that length it is to pin out the wrinkle right where it occurs on the body (or hanger, I guess), then trace the affected parts with the pins left in. In this case, obviously that'd be the yoke and neckline (which in this case looks not wide enough), but probably includes a bit of the fronts, too. Cut new pieces from the tracings and see if there's any improvement in a muslin.

Are you getting this on all your shirts from the same pattern, or just this particular shirt?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users