Photo

Womens' Sleeve Length - Appropriate length for long sleeves.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:33 AM

This is an area that I rarely see addressed in discussion. And unfortunately its an area that often results in sleeves extending almost to the knuckles on both sewing/construction forums and in RTW photography.

An online search for information yielded a photo assisted brochure on how to dress professionally for women. The brochure stated shoes should have closed toes with no more than a 1" -2" heel - stated very clearly next to a photograph of a 3" heeled pump! So when they state all long sleeve lengths should be 1/2" longer than the wristbone - hmmmmm - color me skeptical.

I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on womens' shirts/blouses sleeve length and jacket sleevelength.

Part of the problem in determining sleeve length is that many of us do not wear long sleeves under our jackets - so the men's rule of 1/4" to 1/2" above the cuff edge doesn't really work.

I have always used to the wrist bone for jackets and never more than 1/2" below that bone for long sleeved shirts - The fullness of the sleeve affects the length as far as I am concerned.

Any thoughts?

#2 theBlackSheep

theBlackSheep

Umsie

• Senior Apprentice
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Generally, it can vary with style but following the same rule as men's wear is appropriate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users