• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#19 jruley

jruley

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

There is an Anglo-American team in America that comissioned a mill to make them period weight Kersey and from what I hear they are doing a bang up just in selling it, infact having a hard time of keeping up with the runs, which is surprising considering I can not find these guys! None the less most of the larger re-enacting supplie shops carry their line.

Jason

So far as I know, there is no "period weight kersey" available in the US that compares favorably with the real stuff. Several suppliers offer a heavy weight, heavily napped woolen but there is no "kersey weave" visible if you scrape the nap off. I'd appreciate more information if available.

#20 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

"kersey weave"

As far as I know Kersey is a twill weaved broadcloth as opposed to the more available plain weave superfine broadcloth.

I'd appreciate more information if available.

This cloth is made by James Kochan and Sean Phillips. It is available at most re-enacting drygoods shops like W.M. Booth Draper. Unfortunately, every email I've been given to Mr. Kochan has been bad, I have a snail mail address but I'm not wasting 2 euros should he have moved. I have heard nothing but rave reviews over this kersey for a couple of years now. They appear to retail between $50 to $60 a yard so comprable in price to Hainsworths Broadcloths. I am currently trying to track him down through his retail outlets I will let you know if I have any word.

Jason
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#21 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:29 AM

Ok, I finally tracked them down and currently awaiting swatches. Once received I'll post a review of the cloths. I am happy to also announce that they are currently researching and testing period weight/ texture Serge, Bay, shalloon, Broadcloth, and Superfines :drool: :dance: :hyper: :clapping: :frantics:
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#22 jruley

jruley

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Yes, I've also read good reviews of the Kochan & Phillips cloth, including at this vendor's site:

http://www.najecki.com/repro/Wool.html

However, they state that the weave of the kersey is invisible under the nap. Compare that to this photo of an original US Army overcoat, circa 1860's:

Posted Image

This is the kind of "kersey weave" many Civil War reenactors are after. It sounds like the K&P cloth is not the answer, but I'll be interested to see your review of the swatches in any case.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users