2 replies to this topic

#1 Annie Belle

Annie Belle

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:52 PM

I've read a few threads on here about the variety of irons available, from vintage to steam and vacuum table setup to gravity feed to dry. I thought about investing in a Reliable system with a vacuum board but it seems as though those are not taken too seriously. I am thinking about going vintage with a Sussman or American Beauty; any recommendations? Or should I get in contact with Norris Steam about getting a 110 v of their heavy dry tailor's iron?

Your advice is much appreciated.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#2 lngn2

lngn2

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

As posted on another thread I am thrilled with the 3kg Mini Lemm I bought from Norris a few months back. We have access to a real mix of irons at the place I'm presently doing my coat making course but most are a lot lighter than this and require some effort to press on heavy cloth. That said our tutor (who is at Dege and Skinner) says some of her colleagues laugh at her for using such a heavy iron...
  • Annie Belle and Schneiderfrei like this

#3 Annie Belle

Annie Belle

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Well, I just did a crazy, impulsive thing and bought a NOS Sussman Pressmaster off of eBay. I plan on doing dressmaking this summer and tailoring with more heavy fabrics in the fall/winter so I may pick up a 5kg iron off of Norris Steam too, unless I find one of the heavier American Beauties on eBay. I'm super nervous and excited because this is my first piece of professional-ish equipment for sewing.

That being said, anyone got their hands on a manual?

• Schneiderfrei likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users