#37 Prakash Parmar

Prakash Parmar

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

See Martin,
You seem to know a bit about Dubai, have you had any professional experience in Dubai?

Best regards
Prakash parmar

#38 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:06 AM

Nope. But I know the world a bit, and I know how business works. Marketing too.
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#39 Prakash Parmar

Prakash Parmar

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Thank you for your reply.

A thought to all: why is the best way to encourage masters & tailors to join & stay in a tailoring house. Our tailoring house is a family run business, owned & run by tailors.

Is salary enough with regular increments.
Or a package which consists of basic salary with incentive either linked to either growth or an incentive like a fixed amount linked to every garment made?

Thank you all for your valuable thoughts.

We are looking at structuring our company from now so wether or not the next generation joins the business, the business is managed & runs professionally. FYI: no family member is allowed to join the business unless they are qualified.

Best regards
Prakash Parmar

#40 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

If $36K/yr is your maximum, you're likely to find student-grade labor. It simply isn't strong enough to attract senior-level talent.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#41 Prakash Parmar

Prakash Parmar

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Please guide me: what is a reasonable pay for senior level talent?

Regards
Prakash

#42 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:46 AM

Has anyone called the job ads that Alex posted to find out for themself what Oxxford is paying?

What about calling recruiters in the apparel sector to help you set wages & benefits?

Human Resources work is only hard if you don't dig into it.

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#43 nlieb

nlieb

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

Please guide me: what is a reasonable pay for senior level talent?

Regards
Prakash

Keep in mind that a tailor working by himself doing exclusively bespoke would make around 50k a year in the US. Further keep in mind that more business minded tailors will incorporate lucrative mtm business or hire other tailors to help out, and you begin to see that 50k is very much a minimum (in fact, most would say far too little considering the skill level of these guys, how few of them there are, and what the cost of living is). In another thread someone talked about, and I'm not sure whether or not he was joking, some really successful tailors who had really played the game well owning estates in Tuscany. So I guess depending on where the tailor is from, how talented they are, and how good they are at business, anywhere between 50k and 500k. All figures in USD, the international currency of choice (the Euro had its chance, and until the Chinese float the RMB it is irrelevant outside of China).

Edited by nlieb, 21 October 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#44 Prakash Parmar

Prakash Parmar

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thank you for the information, will be helpfull in our future planning.

#45 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I work for a MTM firm and all of our tailoring is done by outside contractors (Skip something for the shirts, John H Daniels for the suits, some random dude in Como for our ties). I want to take most of this tailoring inhouse because it will a) improve quality over the mediocrities (they're not bad, really: the suits are fully canvassed) currently foisted upon us b) allow us to offer fully bespoke clothing c) give us greater freedom over what materials (ie cloth, buttons) we use for the clothing (ie we could use multicolor Thai silk in suitlinings, which would otherwise cost us extra but fits in excelently with our branding).

So I'd like to hire maybe 8 tailors, 7 young tailors, preferably half and half out of Maestro Gallo's academy in Rome and Sedwell's academy on Savile Row (perhaps a Frenchman thrown in for good measure), and one old master. I think I already have my old master: he's currently retired to doing alterations work but I know exactly how much would be needed to bring him back to bespoke (I asked). My question is, how much would be fair to pay the young tailors? I understand that one guy turning out suits couldn't hope to make more than 50k a year after expenses. A young tailor, one who just finished their apprenticeship or school program, I assume would make less. Would 40k a year with a promise to increase salary with increasing experience attract any talent whatsoever or am I gonna have to go higher than that? If higher, how much higher?

Hello Nlieb,

What are the work hours expected and responsibilities required with the positions mentioned for the 40K per year?

What is the cost of living in the area of the planned location of your business?

I am asking for the benefit of the forum readers who may be interested.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#46 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:44 AM

Under 100k $ no Senior will go to Dubai. The good ones have their own business, they might not abandon it. The very good ones who work in MTM also make about 100k. The seniors are old now and rare. To bring a senior from UK you might have to pay 200k/y. It is just my opinion. You might get Seniors from Asia quite cheap. Japanese are good tailors too. The best way is to become a Senior yourself, that means to put effort in learning and sitting down in the evening with expensive books.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users