#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

Jeffery Diduch, a member of the forum, recommended this video on his blog.

• gatto, jeffrey2117 and tombennett like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

That's very clear, I know buttonholes can be daunting when first starting out.  :thumbsup:

• tailleuse likes this

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:04 AM

That's very clear, I know buttonholes can be daunting when first starting out.  :thumbsup:

I believe that if I set aside the time I could teach myself from that video.  

Did you see the supplier's list at the end of the video that he mentioned? I have many of the supplies, but I'd like to know what size John James needle "Izzie" was using.

In the U.S., Bay Tailor Supply is one place that has Güttermann buttonhole twist and gimp.

#4 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:59 AM

Didn't really watch it to the end.  Just skipped through, seems he has forgotten to mention his suppliers.  I know how to sew a buttonhole, I was taught a slightly differently than Izzy, it is practice for me.  Izzy is using a John James "Betweens" I can't make it out but it looks like size 6, they're the ones I use (#4 between for basting).  It would make sense, it is quite a short needle which are perfect for sewing buttonholes, nevertheless I stand to be corrected on the size. :Big Grin:

I get my John James needles from Kenton Trimmings as they stock a better range of than the only other stockist I know MacCulloch & Wallis, who I use for other things. The only place I know to get a good selection of Gutterman gimp is from Bernstein & Bailey (The Lining Company in the UK).  The silk twist I buy from them as well due to their larger range of colours than Kenton, who sell twist and, skeins of silk too. The gimp is a little more expensive than Kenton but, as I say a slightly wider range of colours. I also get Silesia from Bernstein's, again because of the choice, along with my sewing threads; Kenton for needles, machine and hand; MacCulloch's for bremsilk lining and, chalks.

Edited by tombennett, 07 November 2015 - 09:30 PM.

• tailleuse likes this

#5 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Izzy is using a John James "Betweens" I can't make it out but it looks like size 6, they're the ones I use (#4 between for basting).  It would make sense, it is quite a short needle which are perfect for sewing buttonholes, nevertheless I stand to be corrected one the size. Big%20Grin.gif

Thanks.

I get my John James needles from Kenton Trimmings as they stock a better range of them than the only other stockist I know, MacCulloch & Wallis who I use for other things. The only place I know to get Gutterman gimp is from Bernstein & Bailey (The Lining Company in the UK), they have a small selection of colours.  The silk twist I buy from them as well due to their larger range of colours than Kenton, who sell twist and, skeins of silk too. The gimp is a little more expensive than Kenton but, as I say a slightly wider range of colours. I also get Silesia from Bernstein's, again because of the choice, along with my sewing threads; Kenton for needles, machine and hand; MacCulloch's for bremsilk lining and, chalks.

As I mentioned above, in the U.S., Bay Tailor Supply carries gimp and silk twist. I've bought Silesia from Beckenstein Men's Fabric Czar and I just saw that Bias Bespoke carries it too.

#6 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:23 AM

A topic on buttonholes started by Sartor.

#7 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:49 AM

It really is just practice and having a feel for what you are doing.
I liked the fact that she has soft hands as she sews.
I think many people struggle with sewing tension. If you have a stranglehold on the garment or the thread it shows.
  • tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#8 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

Thanks for posting Tailleuse, much more fun to watch on a larger screen. "Brilliant!"

#9 kinloch

kinloch

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

I've never known anyone use a 6 between for buttonholes - and its easier to thread twist into a 4 between
  • tailleuse likes this

#10 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 04:21 AM

I've never had a problem using them, but then I use them for most jobs so am pretty used to it. Once the twist has been waxed and pressed I can get it through the 6's eye, there is less needle to get caught up; but it is all very subjective.  I did wonder whether she was using a 4 as it looks a little longer in the fingers than I'd expect a 6, definitely betweens though.

• tailleuse likes this

#11 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

She probably has small fingers  :Big Grin:  

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#12 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:37 AM

There is one detail that the video doesn't mention: snipping off the corners where he eye meets the straight cut.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: handmade buttonholes, Darren Beaman, Jeffery Diduch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users