34 replies to this topic

#19 jaw

jaw

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

putting aside price, I have always viewed the "traveling" tailor with a bit of caution. it is about the "distance" and the communication.

I am here (Boston) and the tailor and cutter are "there" (London). A lot can get missed in the hand off. Then, there is the time element, as well.

Just a feeling, not a philosophy.

Thank you for the comments.

#20 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

I tend to agree with you somewhat and think that looking for someone more local is better. It is easy to get more fittings. If there are problems they are accessible. I still thought I would include a couple of more reputable travelling tailors for the sake of completion, albeit as an afterthought.

#21 jaw

jaw

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:08 AM

I appreciate your thoughts and advice. Indeed, I am most thankful to everyone who has provided their candid advice on this topic.

It would appear that NYC has many high quality "bespoke" tailors though at a considerably higher price point than I may be willing to go. Indeed, if it was just a question of going from $2,500 to $3,000 that would be easy.

It appears that that (at least in Manhattan) the bespoke tailors would be well in excess of $3K. My guess is demand well exceeds supply. It does not appear that there are many new entrants into the bespoke tailor market in Manhattan. (Where are the artisans of the future?)For example, I "goggled" Mr. Nicolisi's name and he has been on the scene for many years and is very well regarded.

I can appreciate even in this lackluster economic market there is far more NYC demand for "bespoke" than there are high quality bespoke tailors.

I have a lot to think about thanks to the members of this forum.

#22 jaw

jaw

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:03 AM

after a lot of thought, i visited "Michael Andrews Bespoke" on Manhattan's Lower East Side (20 Clinton Street). He has a website that can be easily found by a google search.

Despite the name, by and large, he does not offer Bespoke. He offers a suit that is more than a MTM but certainly less than a Bespoke.

This is what I was told:

A pattern is cut from your measurements in China. The suit comes back basted not completely sewn. I especially am concerned about the pants so I asked that I be given leeway on the final form and fit of the pants. Then, after one or two fittings, the suit is complete. He has two tailors on the premises.

A decent fabric and working button sleeves will run you about $1,500. Good sturdy English fabrics.

Michael seems like a good fella that wants to establish his business. I will keep you posted. The suit will be ready some time in August.

He will be moving more toward the Greenwich Village area in August.

Questions? Comments?

#23 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:05 AM

Wow what is this world coming to? A pattern is cut to your measurements in China? wow, simply wow.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#24 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:31 AM

My first thought is that august is late, considering that it is going to be made in a factory, but maybe there is quite a lot of finishing on the premises, so he will have to divide his work between his two tailors.

Don't know, you might have a good deal there, you might end up disappointed. Please keep us informed. Would be nice to see pics when you go for the first fitting.

Though I still think you should have come to Spain and gotten a suit+holiday :Big Grin:

Edited by Martin Stall, 30 June 2010 - 05:32 AM.

Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#25 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Martin, you sure got your thinking cap on - a suit+holiday Posted Image - that is a good way to spend a holiday, on the side getting a fine handcrafted suit.

#26 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

You know that might be a marketing ploy for you to investigate further Martin. Think about it, mix a B&B with bespoke services. Bloody brilliant!

#27 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

Yep! First travel stop at your shop! Decide what garments and cloth and take some measurements and then send them off to some beaches along the coast- town hopping. Come back for a first fitting and then off exploring castles and hill towns. Second fitting and then back to the beaches. After third fitting and paid for and walking out the door with new garments, then let them know where the wife can go shopping.

Oh yes! Don't forget to let them know where a few good restraunts are.

#28 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

You know that might be a marketing ploy for you to investigate further Martin. Think about it, mix a B&B with bespoke services. Bloody brilliant!

No, no Jason. A sleepy B&B in the suburbs just won't cut it. The correct way to go is to book a suite in a five star hotel in the heart of the business district to draw in professional clientèle. You need to ask for a suite with plenty of mirrors - preferably not on the ceiling, though! :)

#29 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

No coin operated bed?

#30 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Not in the honeymoon suite of a five star hotel. You obviously only stay in cheaper joints. :Big Grin:

#31 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

I camp :p

#32 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Is my future marketing being planned here by the board? Keep on rolling guys, I like the ideas :Big Grin:
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#33 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

No need to follow Greger on everything. If you are a sartorial tour operator, jsut do as others do : make them pay in advance. You can send the wife shoping the whole week, no worries, you have your money.
Meals are not included, of course.

Sator : the 5 star hotel might be an alternative for some, but a nice boutique hotel of the south of Spain could very well be the thing. Especially if the rooms were designed by a local modern designer.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#34 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

From what I have seen in the BBC series about SR I must say I find it strange that people buy or try on expensive suits in a hotel bedroom.
The better way to deal with it would be to rent smaller rooms for the tailor(s) and for the money saved rent a smaller conference room with a set of chairs and tables, a big mirror and a stand to hang the suits on. It's easier and more pleasant to work in such an environment, not to mention that it's more comfortable for both tailor and customer.
Or maybe rich Americans enjoy being invited to hotel bedrooms?

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#35 jaw

jaw

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

From what I have seen in the BBC series about SR I must say I find it strange that people buy or try on expensive suits in a hotel bedroom.
The better way to deal with it would be to rent smaller rooms for the tailor(s) and for the money saved rent a smaller conference room with a set of chairs and tables, a big mirror and a stand to hang the suits on. It's easier and more pleasant to work in such an environment, not to mention that it's more comfortable for both tailor and customer.
Or maybe rich Americans enjoy being invited to hotel bedrooms?

Good observation. The one time I met with a visiting tailor, it was more of a suite. The bedroom was separate from the fitting room. In any event, it is not that appealing.

Do the SR tailors visit the major cities in Germany? Does Germany have its own high quality bespoke tailors? thank you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users