tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

hello everyone,
my name is Neche from Nigeria. I am here because I love to sew! I'm constantly trying to improve my skills. According to "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell, it takes 10,000 hours of hard work to become an expert, in this case, professional tailor. So I'm on a mission to test this theory. I believe I'll find the help I need in here.

Glad to meet you. From what I've read, Gladwell popularized a theory and it has been oversimplified as people summarize it. The number is not set and some people in some fields are prodigies; they don't require 10,000 hours.  But it is not in dispute that it takes many years to become a qualified tailor.

Edited by tailleuse, 04 August 2016 - 05:08 AM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#650 MikeA2479

MikeA2479

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:24 AM

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike and I am based on the South Coast of U.K. in West Sussex. I came across the site and forum after a lot of searching for sewing for men, and tailoring advice. From the few bits I have seen so far on the forums (within a matter of an hour or two) I have already had many questions answered about a variety of topics I have been looking for answers to. Although I am a novice sewer I am keen in learning more and more to be able to hopefully produce quality garments for myself and my wife to the expert tailoring standards that my Grand father and Grand mother produced. I sadly lost the opportunity to gain from their knowledge and skills as a tailor and seamstress. With guidance from posts on here and a local tailor offering help to improve my skills I look forward to adding pictures and hopefully contributing to the forums.

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#651 Dalma

Dalma

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:56 AM

Hello to all,
My name is Dalma, I'm from Hungary.I'm currently studying with a ladies tailor. I started learning because I wanted a little baby clothing startup, but it was impossible to find experts in the field. I love this profession and I'd like to know everything. Thanks for admitting me and have a nice day!
  • tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#652 Stitchmilitz

Stitchmilitz

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sewing tailoring ,cycling walking ,canals

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

Hi to you all
I am from the Uk ,I live on my narroboat mudskipper with my husband and dog Chico.
I love sewing which I found 3 years ago ,since then have done a few courses including city and guilds in tailoring .
I have surprised myself what I have achieved ,but still learning and what a great site this is with people with so much experience .
I love to use wools and tweeds ,I like making men's waistcoats ,but need to learn more on pattern cutting and the measurements ,
Thank you so much for admitting me to this site .
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#653 Popgent

Popgent

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Greetings all!

My name is James, and I am honoured to be networking with such respected professionals. I am from Vancouver, Canada, and am currently involved in retail menswear. My passion and respect for tailoring has moved me to develop my own understanding to a greater degree, and I am just now taking up the needle and thread. Thanks for all the support that I have gleaned from these forums so far, and a pleasure chatting with you in the future!

• ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#654 Raf

Raf

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Good day
I am Rosemet from Liberia but now staying the Philippines, I am thankful to God that I am able to be taught by wonderful people like you. I I love sewing since I was 7years old but didn't thought it will do me any good back in my country but I just realise that if you say it's not going to be good it won't be so I decided to start sewing again and this time make a lot of good come from it and now I know a lot of stitches and are having so many good thoughts of what to do with it. Thanks for your support and may God bless you and your families.
  • ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#655 alibond

alibond

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:computer aided pattern design
    sewing man clothes

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

Good day to everyone,

I started sewing about six months ago, and this hobby gradually became a real passion. I made several shirts, with some success, a pair of trousers and a jacket, always taking as model clothes that I already had.

I discovered this forum and I really appreciate it. Recenlty I'm interested in the draft of pattern and, since I'm a programmer by trade, I thought of making an automatic pattern generator. The project is in progress but the men's shirt model is already freely available. If someone wants to try it and give me suggestions you can find it on selfpattern.alwaysdata.net

Thank you!

#656 Coren

Coren

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Wide and varied, but limited for anything after 1950.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hi all,

I am so excited to have re-found this site. Looks like I signed up in 2012, which was while I was attending college. I am certain I had intentions to sit with a cup of earl grey, on a rainy day, and binge read. Seems it unfortunately slipped my mind. Sadly.

As for me, I had a BFA in Apparel Design and a love of Neo-classical fashion (read "post-Rocco English driven fashion" or think of what the Founding Fathers wore). That being said, my goal and passion is to have modern clothing, inspired by the past.

My driving force is that I feel that clothing should have inherent value, stemming from the skill and time bestowed to the piece to construct and perfect it. The clothes we wear should be an expression of us as an individual. The devaluing and cheapening of our clothing belies and drives an unsustainable paradigm, championed by H&M, Old Navy, and the like.

But mainly, I long to see people in clothes that actually fit. 😉

Looks like my time on the soapbox is up.

Glad to be here. Superb job keeping the faith, sharing you knowledge, experience and life choices.

Coren
  • cperry, ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#657 Matt0231

Matt0231

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Learning, understanding, teaching, meditation, life.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

Good evening,

I believe that I may have indulged in a little over excitement, and lack of etiquette, by not saying hello before hurriedly posting a trouser draft for feedback. Apologies for that.

I'm Matt, 38yo, absolute beginner at tailoring but astonished at how it's grabbing my attention. I work in shipping as an engineering/safety/security surveyor and auditor.

The forum is a simply awesome source of reference and knowledge. I'm very happy to be here.

Thanks,
Matt
  • cperry, ChiTownTailor and Schneiderfrei like this

#658 davidwedge

davidwedge

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Buddhism and food.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hello!
My name is David, I am 34 years old, a father of 2 amazing and crazy young boys (six and eight years old). I am an air traffic controller in New Brunswick, Canada. I am a beginner in tailoring, and I am here to continually learn. I love how bespoke clothing fits a person, and how one can tell right away when something is well made. My dream is to cut my own suit by my 55th birthday, I would like to enter retirement with style! Until then, I am simply going to enjoy the therapeutic benefits I get from learning and practising this fascinating art. I would like to sincerely thank all of you who contribute to the wealth of information found in this forum, I am astonished and very grateful.

David

Edited by davidwedge, 24 November 2016 - 06:05 PM.

• cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#659 catechumen

catechumen

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Costuming, tailoring, 1940s styles, pattern drafting.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm Felix, from the UK. I've always been interested in performance and costuming (I love any reason to dress up outlandishly) and as I get older I've come to be more and more interested in how clothing, both costume and ordinary, is put together. I'm also very keen to learn about both cutting and sewing menswear - I have an unusual build which is hard to get RTW clothes for, and a sense of style which doesn't line up with what one can find on the high street in any case. 

Currently I'd say I'm a home sewer who's more informed about how it all works than some but not particularly skilled in the actual sewing. I've self-taught myself a little about pattern drafting using Winifred Aldrich's books; I find patternmaking fascinating in its own right, the technicalities of creating a three-dimensional garment from two-dimensional fabric are amazing to get involved with, and the whole cut-and-move pattern origami business delights my love of problem solving. In terms of practical skills I have a lot to learn, I'm getting fairly confident with machine sewing but I know my hand sewing is in need of work. I've made some forays into waistcoats based on shop-bought patterns and tried out a (night)shirt drafted from scratch, although I won't post a picture since it came out somewhat wonky even to my untutored eye!

I'm delighted to have found this site as there's so little information out there about menswear, not to mention communities with such a high proportion of men who sew. I've often felt a bit like the only male in the village in other sewing forums.

At the moment my big costuming obsession is 1940s styles, since I've recently taken up lindyhop -  I spent this afternoon wrestling with a vintage draft-your-own pattern for trousers, one of the ones based on a ruler, and scratching my head at the rather peculiar results I got. I'm very keen to get myself a copy of Cabrera and take a look!

#660 Nitasha Gupta

Nitasha Gupta

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

thanks for welcome. hi this is Nitasha, Working with epitome stitches, as a fashion designer.epitome stitching offers online tailoring & stitching services.

http://epitomestitches.com/

#661 m4x

m4x

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:25 AM

Hello everyone! My name is Max. I came here because I hear it's an amazing place to share the experience of tailoring.

I'm very new to the world of tailoring so I'm sure I will utilize the search tool a lot but also hope to join a fun and compassionate community.

#662 eedzy

eedzy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:56 PM

Hi All,

I'm excited to be here! 

My name is Joel, and I am a suit-obsessed small business owner in Edmonton, AB Canada.

Experience is moderate as I've had the amazing opportunity of working in a tailor shop for three years under two master tailors. Before any hands-on tailoring experience, I was also employed in menswear retail dealing mostly with custom MTM suits and accessories. All of which fed my passion to open my own operation, offering MTM and Bespoke menswear here in Canada. 

I'm sure fun stories to come!

Best,

Joel

#663 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Is the tailor shop where you were working in Edmonton?

#664 eedzy

eedzy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Is the tailor shop where you were working in Edmonton?

Thank you. Yes, it was!

#665 Stitchy_Fingers

Stitchy_Fingers

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

Hello! Thank u for the add! I own s titchy fingers upholstery in Ozark mo.I have 28 yrs sewing, tailoring and dressmaking experience. It's still my favorite thing to do, I can offer a lot I believe. I also have several industrial machines I'd like to sell, such as buttonhole machines, single and double needle machines as well. I bought out a small company and have a few extra.
  • Measure Man, cperry and Schneiderfrei like this

#666 ElBanna Tex

ElBanna Tex

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:59 PM

hello thanks for the add

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users