#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:53 AM

http://www.draperson...5000570.article

I find it typical of the industry these days that they don't know the difference between tailoring and shirtmaking! It's good to read of a company taking the initiative to start some sort of education programme.

<i>[David] Gale, who previously headed up the bespoke shirt departments at Sulka and Dunhill, has been charged with creating an ‘in-house academy’ to train potential shirt makers in the art of pattern-making, cutting, sewing and finishing garments such as shirts, pyjamas, dressing gowns and boxer shorts.

Gale will also work on Turnbull & Asser’s bespoke and ready-to-wear collections. Gale is one of the last classically trained master shirt makers and started his career with Turnbull & Asser in the early 1970s before moving to Savile Row where he continued his apprenticeship as a bespoke shirt maker making shirts for the likes of Frank Sinatra, Donald Sutherland, Daniel Craig and David Bailey.</i>

#2 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

http://www.drapersonline.com/news/menswear/turnbull-and-asser-to-set-up-tailoring-academy/5000570.article

I find it typical of the industry these days that they don't know the difference between tailoring and shirtmaking! It's good to read of a company taking the initiative to start some sort of education programme.

<i>[David] Gale, who previously headed up the bespoke shirt departments at Sulka and Dunhill, has been charged with creating an ‘in-house academy’ to train potential shirt makers in the art of pattern-making, cutting, sewing and finishing garments such as shirts, pyjamas, dressing gowns and boxer shorts.

Gale will also work on Turnbull & Asser’s bespoke and ready-to-wear collections. Gale is one of the last classically trained master shirt makers and started his career with Turnbull & Asser in the early 1970s before moving to Savile Row where he continued his apprenticeship as a bespoke shirt maker making shirts for the likes of Frank Sinatra, Donald Sutherland, Daniel Craig and David Bailey.</i>

In case nobody knows, ( I doubt as on this forum all are pros ) Kiton does a 2 year course and you get a small salary paid for the Italian government . I was invited and thinking about...

Edited by napoli, 02 March 2012 - 07:33 AM.

#3 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Napoli, we have a page where we try to group all information we have about training programs in the world (a page is enough, since there are so few of them). If you can add more information, or ask Kiton for more, and send it to me, it will be nice to say more here about it.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

#4 Gordon C Wong

Gordon C Wong

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi All,

There is a Tailor & Cutter book on men's shirts, the pattern drafts are excellent. I am surprise Sator have not post a copy on his forum. According to my mentor a men's shirt collar taken a life time to perfect. My mentor told me that most of best shirt-maker were Jewish. They kept to themselves with their knowledge and secrets when the Nazis round them up in concentration camps the world best shirt making tradition died with them.

What we have today is tiny compare what was then. Most RTW collars out there are total crap, the only collar comes close this a Hathaway shirt that cost $150. I bet the Turnbull and Asser's shirt is based on the tailor and cutter pattern. If I have the time I would take that course no doubt.

regards

#5 MrRozzer

MrRozzer

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

There is a Tailor & Cutter book on men's shirts

Would you supply information for the book you mention? I would be interested to read a copy.

#6 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think all of the shirtmaking pages of that T&C book have already been posted in this forum.

#7 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

Napoli, we have a page where we try to group all information we have about training programs in the world (a page is enough, since there are so few of them). If you can add more information, or ask Kiton for more, and send it to me, it will be nice to say more here about it.

Yes I was there last week again. Confirmed, is a 3 years course, with official tittle. Each course starts on September and ends on June. Scuola di Arta Sartoria. Don´t know more.

Here , a Picture I took myself of the plate.

Attached Files

Edited by napoli, 17 June 2012 - 10:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users