Photo

Rory Duffy Has Opened a Tailoring Academy in Ireland

Rory Duffy Bespoke Tailoring Courses Mens Pattern Drafting Course Savile Row-Trained Tailors

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#19 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:35 AM

Just as Canada is cold and huge and Ireland is tiny and green Australia is desolate, Australia is the home of nowhere.

• aFineMess likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#20 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

"Australia is desolate, Australia is the home of nowhere."

Be home sweet home for me, except it's tooooooo hot. Even the Brooks Range up in Alaska is tooo hot in the summer.
  • tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#21 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

More updates as they come.
  8)

Keep the (understandably brief) dispatches coming.  :)   Take lots of photos.  If you don't already have a blog, maybe you could create one upon your return and write about your experiences.  A good marketing tool, too, I imagine.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#22 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:03 AM

Fèlicitations à vous, tombennett!  I inquired about the course, but the timing wasn't right .  I agree that you have to invest in yourself to make the best of yourself.  I hope that you are able to chronicle your experience and share it here.  Enjoy!

Obviously, you have to have the time and money, but I really admire people who throw themselves into things.  It's often the only way.

#23 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

Well, I certainly have the time, not sure about the money but, as you say tailleuse it is often the only way to do it.  I know it is not a full time apprenticeship but the next best thing.

Keep the (understandably brief) dispatches coming.  :)   Take lots of photos.  If you don't already have a blog, maybe you could create one upon your return and write about your experiences.  A good marketing tool, too, I imagine.

Yes, I think a blog might be a good idea, I'll need to think about that.

Got the camera today, just finding time to take a few.  :thumbsup:

#24 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:05 AM

That is the end of the first week: we have learnt the top section, by heart of the draft and started on the underside.  I am now understanding what I learnt by myself and with the help forum members.  It is so nice being able to ask a questions and gain clarification as we go which makes for a smoother journey.  For example I always wondered why the underside fork line dropped, in effect this is making a dart to help shape the cloth around the posterior of the wearer.  I am going to buy some calico this week from the local town to try out Rory's draft with my measurements as I know how my trousers should fit.

working-trouser-block_zpseboupj5t.jpg

Edited by tombennett, 08 August 2016 - 06:30 AM.

• tailleuse and A. Ferrell like this

#25 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:09 AM

A few more pictures for your delight.

The Academy Building

the-academy2_zps4cxfvfbg.jpg

Rory and I.

cutting-room-2_zps6ehouxix.jpg

The Master at Work

master-at-work%203%20of%203_zps5pd8nc9h.

master-at-work%201%20of%203_zpsx8w2buds.

Edited by tombennett, 15 August 2016 - 01:11 AM.

• pfaff260, tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#26 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

A few more pictures for your delight.

Thanks for the update. What kind of hours are you putting in?
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#27 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

Hi tailleuse, the hours are from 10 till 4 monday to friday, however, we are going in on Saturday and staying late when we can too.  We're going to start making up toiles this week to see how we are progressing with our blocks, with the goal at the end of the course to make a three-piece suit in as few a fittings as possible; one preferably. :Praying:

#28 deborahlewislondon

deborahlewislondon

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Pattern Cutting.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:29 AM

I'm a bit late to the party but congratulations Rory! That is fantastic news. I've learned a lot from you over the years just on your blog and videos. About time you opened your own academy! 

• tailleuse likes this

#29 Bobbie

Bobbie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:51 AM

I just found this post and I am thrilled that Rory has open an academy!  How is it going?  We wold love some updates!

#30 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

The Handcraft Tailor Academy in partnership with Dugdale Bros & Co., ASBCI and The Textile Institute are delighted to announce the launch of the Handcraft Tailor Academy Scholarship Award 2018.
The winner of this prestigious scholarship will have the opportunity to undertake a place on the 12 week Summer course at the Handcraft Tailor Academy in picturesque Monaghan, Republic of Ireland (June to August 2018). Under the tuition and guidance of Master Tailor Rory Duffy ( formerly Henry Poole and lecturer at Parsons The New School, USA) the winning student will learn to measure, draft, fit and make a mens bespoke suit using old world Savile Row techniques passed down through generations of time served tailors.
Prize includes course fees covered by the Handcraft Tailor Academy, accommodation costs of £1750 and £250 worth of cloth sponsored by Dugdale Bros & Co, as well as £200 towards travel costs from the Textile Institute.

https://htsaward.wixsite.com/htsa
  • Schneiderfrei likes this
Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo
Blogspot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rory Duffy, Bespoke Tailoring Courses, Mens Pattern Drafting Course, Savile Row-Trained Tailors

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users