43 replies to this topic

#37 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:29 AM

Ha! Rory...I stole that cold iron for cooling off idea from your video series. :dance:

I'm glad you mentioned domestic irons. Some years back I saw the coatmaker at Thomas Mahon's 'English Cut' using one of those domestic reservoir irons. I thought then: If he's using one, I should be using one'.

I do have one of those huge irons (a Grossag made in Germany) and I do use it, but increasingly I find myself using an old 6lb AEG dry iron (1950s domestic) and a good domestic steam iron.

Horses for courses.

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury." - Coco Chanel.

#38 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

A six/seven pound iron would be nice.

A flat surface (no holes in the bottom plate).

T'was thinking about having one custom made,

because I wanted a certain shape, because it's faster.

Today, so much cloth is very light weight.

Although, Alex Kabbaz, a shirt maker, uses nine pounds for pressing shirts.

Shirt cloth is very light weight.

Some irons (German?) are two weights (one can be taken off).

I should find an antique one that sets on a wood burning stove, since I'm burning wood.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#39 krulle

krulle

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

Yup, I totally agree with Rory! I do have two heavy German dry irons from the 30s...6 and 8 kg old Grossag models, but in terms of steam I do use very simple domestic tefal with very good results.... now I do only use the heavy ones for the very final pressing of the creases :)

#40 krulle

krulle

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 08:10 AM

..photo too big .... pfff

Edited by krulle, 01 February 2019 - 08:19 AM.

#41 johannah_moor

johannah_moor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Yup, I totally agree with Rory! I do have two heavy German dry irons from the 30s...6 and 8 kg old Grossag models, but in terms of steam I do use very simple domestic tefal with very good results.... now I do only use the heavy ones for the very final pressing of the creases :)

Sorry to interrupt your discussion, though I came here looking for recommendations.

I'm not a professional tailor (no special sections for me, got it!), so all I can is to hijack topics like this and wait if somebody would be so kind to answer.

Still. I totally agree with both of you that for final pressing there's nothing better than a good ol' iron, but we have lost our during the moving and I'm desperate to find a good heavy iron in our neighbourhood. That's why I'd like to know if there are any good semi-professional (heavy) modern sewing irons? I already checked our local boards and flea markets, no fullmetal irons available, so guess I'll need to order one online. 

#42 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 15 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

Sorry to interrupt your discussion, though I came here looking for recommendations.

I'm not a professional tailor (no special sections for me, got it!), so all I can is to hijack topics like this and wait if somebody would be so kind to answer.

Still. I totally agree with both of you that for final pressing there's nothing better than a good ol' iron, but we have lost our during the moving and I'm desperate to find a good heavy iron in our neighbourhood. That's why I'd like to know if there are any good semi-professional (heavy) modern sewing irons? I already checked our local boards and flea markets, no fullmetal irons available, so guess I'll need to order one online. 

Johannah,

If you're in the US you might check ebay/  I found a Grossag dry 12 lb. dry iron for $15 a few years ago.  Also, if you are really interested in a high quality, albeit older iron, you can also hunt for a Sussman steam iron on ebay too.  I bought one on recommendation from Alexander Kabbaz the shirtmaker, and after rebuilding one, I can say they are fantastic.  Parts for the iron are rare, but a reasonably handy person can rebuild one using the existing parts.  An exception to that is if the steam pressure valve goes it has to be rebuilt using industrial parts, found at places like Grainger Industrial here in the States.  I also can recommend Naomoto irons.  They get really hot and are well built.  I bought a Naomoto PS2 pump powered steam iron and the only thing I've done is replaced the standard water reservoir with one of my own making.  I substituted a recyclable water dispenser jug and suspended it into a stand I built.  Now I have about 2.5 gallons of water instead of 1 liter.  Having said that, I agree with Rory Duffy, good equipment is a must, but great equipment doesn't trump good tailoring skill.  I think at this point, I enjoy refurbishing old tailoring tools almost as much as I do sewing.  The aforementioned irons can be found from time to time on ebay.  By the way, I know most people aren't interested in fixing or rebuilding irons, but if you are, they will last decades!

Pete

Edited by amateursarto, 15 September 2019 - 01:09 PM.

AMATEURSARTO

#43 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

I have a Sheldon steam iron and boiler (basically the Sussman) and I bought it used 24 years ago. It is still going, but I have had to make repairs over the years. Currently I am looking for a new steam hose that will fit. I think my iron fittings are imperial and the new fittings are metric. The existing fittings are brass and seem to have a slightly finer thread than the ones on the replacement hose I ordered.
Any thoughts on a source for steam hoses?

#44 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

I have a Sheldon steam iron and boiler (basically the Sussman) and I bought it used 24 years ago. It is still going, but I have had to make repairs over the years. Currently I am looking for a new steam hose that will fit. I think my iron fittings are imperial and the new fittings are metric. The existing fittings are brass and seem to have a slightly finer thread than the ones on the replacement hose I ordered.
Any thoughts on a source for steam hoses?

Terri,

Thinking outside of the box here, a plumber, pipefitter, or HVAC technician might be be able to repair or recommend suppliers/technicians who can help.  All have experience fitting and retrofitting, pipes, hoses and/or fittings. A master plumber with experience working on radiant heating systems or boilers should be able to easily help.  Only caveat is if proprietor parts are involved.  But usually universal parts still can be found to repair if not replace proprietary parts.    

Best.

Pete

AMATEURSARTO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users