4 replies to this topic

#1 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

Do you mark up your cloth when working with a customer? If so how much? I have just added vat and freight costs, and thought it would be dishonest to do huge markups. But talking to another tailor I realised that there is money to be made there, that tailor added hundred percent (with vat included). Maybe there is a middle way?

• tailleuse likes this

#2 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Do as you feel. In ladies tailoring I have catalogues which provides me with a customer's price list and one for me.  If I want: I can say, they give me a special price on this fabric and I give it to you. That is up to you.

You have to order and all the work ! If you have storage - you must pay when you order  - so!

lg

posaune

• tailleuse and OJD like this

#3 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

I don't have storage, except for canvases, silesia, pocketings, sleeve linings etc. And for that I charge.

• tailleuse likes this

#4 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:44 AM

I thought everybody marked up. It pays for the time making the orders and shipping and a little extra.

• tailleuse likes this

#5 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Its pretty much a common sense thing, work out all of the costs of getting the fabric to your door, then any interest costs from the time of ordering it to getting paid for the garment, if you have scored the fabric at a good price that is under market, you can pass on as little or as much as you want and the final test is what the market will bare. Over charge a customer and they may not come back, under charge them and you may lose money, inbetween is where the action is and how to keep a customer happy.

• tailleuse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users