44 replies to this topic

#37 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

I awoke this morning feeling quite happy, now that I have read this thread I think I will go back to bed!

But wait! all is not lost for followers of this forum. Look on the bright side!  So many businessmen and speculators, will soil their trousers over this forthcoming crisis, they will all need new suits!

Goodnight all, see you in 2016. 

• tailleuse likes this

#38 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

Hi Mansie, and: Fantastic reply! Bravo (where's the applause icon gone?)

Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#39 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Isn't there a name for that called enron?

Before Enron and Bernie Madoff there was Charles Ponzi in the 1920s. And long before Ponzi came along, Charles Dickens described similar fraudulent schemes in his 1844 novel Martin Chuzzlewit and 1857 novel Little Dorrit.

There is an argument to be made that global capitalism is just one big Ponzi scheme. Even the assumption that it is possible to have an eternally growing GDP is fundamentally unsustainable and delusory.

#40 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:52 AM

Global capitalism is good, it just takes a while to catch up. It needs good rules and penalties, like any game. For example, to much greed is Unhealthy.
Klaugman is not worth reading or listening to.

#41 Martin Stall

Martin Stall

Wizard

• PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:20 AM

If you think about it long enough, you'll find that greed in any measure is unhealthy, IMO.

• tailleuse likes this
Sure, I believe your work rocks, but... have you considered, how are you going to sell that stuff?

http: under construction...

#42 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

Well Martin you are absolutely right. But, since greed is already there and sometimes it is hard to know when a few rules helps keeps it from getting outlandish. Raising and lowering taxes can help. Taxes are a great tool. Raising when to much greed shows up and lowering to encourage to hire and raise wages to those down lower on the ladder.

There is lots to say about economics. Like, where does money come from and where does it go. If you think about that from a commercial fishers view it is when and where do you drop your net? Fishing can be seasonal, so can investing. Why work for every penny one gets?

#43 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

Harry Dent debates Mark Skousen:

http://research.econ...ts.com/X195OUTF

Dent is known for being bearish but Skousen is more bullish. Their views are often quite contrarian. Worth watching.

#44 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:16 PM

"Don't believe the bears" says Mark Skousen:

http://www.investmen...rs#.VD8nt4vLewA

Note that he calls Harry Dent a Permabear! 

Who is right? Make up your own mind.

#45 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

Bear and Bull seems often misunderstood. When a bear is running is a bull chasing it?  Bear means that 51 percent or more of the market is not doing so well, so what do you think the bull is doing? Explained another way; if you own a hiking camping mountaineering store during a bear market your business is doing bullish well because people are buying tents etc instead of motor-homes and flying to distance lands for vacation. So there is almost always times when some are losing and others are gaining, either way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users