Photo

Any formal tailoring school out there for international student.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

Hi there, i am interested in learning bespoke tailoring any of you guys know about tailoring school besides the savile row academy, Savile row tailoring course, newham and national tailoring school. apprenticeship scheme is too long for me as I'm still in university. thank you. Looking for school in london or italy.

#2 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

Marangoni in Milan is simply the best in the world.

in London nowadays only live out past glory, sorry to say.

#3 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

thanks for the reply. yeah its really hard to find school that actually teach you bespoke tailoring. in my country we have few fashion school but they more focus on designing part instead of making one.

#4 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:23 AM

What about the National Tailoring Academy at Louis Copeland in Ireland?  http://www.nationaltailoringacademy.ie

Maybe others would comment on it, but it seems they have quite a lot going there under a master tailor; focused on bespoke.

#5 ChiTownTailor

ChiTownTailor

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:Bespoke tailoring, bespoke shoemaking, bespoke shirtmaking, and all that jazz :-)

Posted 13 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

http://www.newham.ac...rentice-course/ Bespoke Tailoring Pre-Apprentice course at Newham.
What's not to like here? This's a good place to start!
Tailoring can't be learned on a half-hearted effort.

Edited by ChiTownTailor, 13 January 2015 - 09:03 AM.

• tailleuse and cperry like this
-There might be a lot of tweed merchants out there making a bodger, but I'm sure not one of them. I'd rather be kicking my heels than making a pork on the mangle. No crushed beetles to be found here!

#6 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

What about the National Tailoring Academy at Louis Copeland in Ireland?  http://www.nationaltailoringacademy.ie

Maybe others would comment on it, but it seems they have quite a lot going there under a master tailor; focused on bespoke.

Hi thank you for your reply. since currently i am on student loan in uni that already cost me $70k and National tailoring academy would be too expensive for me.

#7 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

http://www.newham.ac...rentice-course/ Bespoke Tailoring Pre-Apprentice course at Newham.
What's not to like here? This's a good place to start!
Tailoring can't be learned on a half-hearted effort.

i really interested with newham but the problem is that you need to be either uk citizen or EU and I'm Malaysian. Had some argument with my parents for almost 3 years and now they agree to let me learn the craft with condition. Thank you for the reply. tailoring has been my passion since i was 12 and even now. 

#8 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Fine sewing for children, English smocking, tailoring for women and men

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

Hi thank you for your reply. since currently i am on student loan in uni that already cost me $70k and National tailoring academy would be too expensive for me.

Yes, I understand all those factors.   I am certainly not an expert to suggest where to study.  Napoli might be right that Italy is where you want to be.  I have only been enjoying learning about the options for bespoke tailoring and about the people who must be "called" to the craft.  There is an older thread on this forum where people were talking about the cost and difficulties involved in going to London to study being above $10,000.  You are not alone.  I thought it was great to see the apprentice opportunities listed at Newham.  It's a good conversation to hear from the masters here on where they would recommend, though maybe there would be much debate. :)

#9 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

Yes, I understand all those factors.   I am certainly not an expert to suggest where to study.  Napoli might be right that Italy is where you want to be.  I have only been enjoying learning about the options for bespoke tailoring and about the people who must be "called" to the craft.  There is an older thread on this forum where people were talking about the cost and difficulties involved in going to London to study being above $10,000.  You are not alone.  I thought it was great to see the apprentice opportunities listed at Newham.  It's a good conversation to hear from the masters here on where they would recommend, though maybe there would be much debate. :)

Yeah its good to know when you not alone. if i can get into newham that would be great, since they actually teach you the art instead of forcing you taking non-related papers(like my current university). Thanks for you time to share some ideas. I just email newham and savile row academy about accepting international student.
  • cperry likes this

#10 Youngsarto

Youngsarto

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

I attended Scuola Europa Del'Alta Sartoria in Roma. It is ran by Maestro Luigi Gallo and is a three year program. You can see the website at Cedaseurope.com . What it lacks in organization it more than makes up for with content. Old school bespoke with loads of hand work.

#11 napoli

napoli

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:32 PM

I attended Scuola Europa Del'Alta Sartoria in Roma. It is ran by Maestro Luigi Gallo and is a three year program. You can see the website at Cedaseurope.com . What it lacks in organization it more than makes up for with content. Old school bespoke with loads of hand work.

I was there last year one day to know it but stayed in Naples. Nice place, cheers.

#12 tasman

tasman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

thanks for your reply. Its the first time i heard about this academy and it looks good. I just send an email to them about the requirement and if they welcome international student from malaysia. If they do accept international student i will definitely go there. 

#13 cperry

cperry

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:34 AM

Scuola Europa Del'Alta Sartoria in Roma has a nice website at Cedaseurope.com, and also a great Facebook page, with some very nice behind the scenes photos.  https://www.facebook...192590267441518

• tasman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users