8 replies to this topic

#1 lngn2

lngn2

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

I've been puzzling over a question on trouser rise. Some of the high rose drafts on the forum have inseams of 32' and a total rise of 44'. If one has an inside leg measure of 30.5 should there also be a proportionate decrease in rise?

#2 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:47 AM

you just measure this.

If your inseam is shorter than 32' your outseam is (hopefully) shorter too. But you can not assume 1.5 ' shorter - it depends on you body (and hip measurement)

lg

posaune

#3 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:46 AM

Inseam has virtually nothing to do with rise. One of the main reasons I began sewing was because my rise was 2" shorter than what was considered "average/normal" and my inseam was 2" longer than normal, (4" with heels and dress trousers).

#4 Vinny

Vinny

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

I've been puzzling over a question on trouser rise. Some of the high rose drafts on the forum have inseams of 32' and a total rise of 44'. If one has an inside leg measure of 30.5 should there also be a proportionate decrease in rise?

#5 lngn2

lngn2

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

Thanks all (in hindsight that should be obvious). The last pair of high rise trousers I made (trews) felt ridiculously high and have some fitting issues so planning to start afresh at some point, hence the question!

Attached Files

#6 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

Normally you start from your natural waist: But not easy to find. With men I take it with 2 fingers above the hip bone. In your case I would shorten the trouser 4 cm. So they are a bit over your natural waist which I assume is  under the black stripe.Baste fold  and check

lg

posaune

Edited by posaune, 31 January 2018 - 07:43 PM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#7 pfaff260

pfaff260

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Everything about tailoring.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

Our teacher would ask you to put your hands on your hips, that's where your natural waist normaly is. Works most of the time

#8 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

Natural waists, if normal figured is at the small of the back.  If you are carrying a few pounds about the middle then this can make the natural waist seam high. My tip: run your thumb down your spine with slight pressure pushing forward, at the moment you feel you're toppling forward, stop, you have found your natural waist.

#9 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

The picture, it really is not that high. True high trousers are higher than that. Those are between moderate and high. 

• Terri and jeffrey2117 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users