2 replies to this topic

#1 benjaminh

benjaminh

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

I was wondering how you find a balance between fabric weight for matching vest and pants? I believe that you want a medium weight fabric for pants, unless your going to line it, but most vest patterns specify a "light wool" fabric. Since I don't want to line my pants, want to use the same material for both, how will using a medium weight fabric, with good drape, work for a vest/waistcoat?

Benjamin

#2 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

The only specifications are what you choose, there is no official specification for "light wool" or "medium weight". Trousers and waistcoats have been made from lighter-weight and heavier-weight cloths.

Obviously these are not going to be made out the kind of cloth used to make an heavy overcoat, but anything from 8oz-14oz (maybe 16oz) is legit for whatever your needs are.

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury." - Coco Chanel.

#3 benjaminh

benjaminh

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

The only specifications are what you choose, there is no official specification for "light wool" or "medium weight". Trousers and waistcoats have been made from lighter-weight and heavier-weight cloths.

Obviously these are not going to be made out the kind of cloth used to make an heavy overcoat, but anything from 8oz-14oz (maybe 16oz) is legit for whatever your needs are.

OK, kind of what I was thinking. Am I correct in thinking that medium weight (~12oz) fabrics are easier to work with than light fabrics, provided that they drape nicely?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users