2 replies to this topic

#1 benjaminh

benjaminh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

I was wondering how you find a balance between fabric weight for matching vest and pants? I believe that you want a medium weight fabric for pants, unless your going to line it, but most vest patterns specify a "light wool" fabric. Since I don't want to line my pants, want to use the same material for both, how will using a medium weight fabric, with good drape, work for a vest/waistcoat?

Benjamin

#2 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

The only specifications are what you choose, there is no official specification for "light wool" or "medium weight". Trousers and waistcoats have been made from lighter-weight and heavier-weight cloths.

Obviously these are not going to be made out the kind of cloth used to make an heavy overcoat, but anything from 8oz-14oz (maybe 16oz) is legit for whatever your needs are.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#3 benjaminh

benjaminh

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 01:58 AM

The only specifications are what you choose, there is no official specification for "light wool" or "medium weight". Trousers and waistcoats have been made from lighter-weight and heavier-weight cloths.

Obviously these are not going to be made out the kind of cloth used to make an heavy overcoat, but anything from 8oz-14oz (maybe 16oz) is legit for whatever your needs are.

OK, kind of what I was thinking. Am I correct in thinking that medium weight (~12oz) fabrics are easier to work with than light fabrics, provided that they drape nicely?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users