#1 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

While I am discussing Chalks I would like to show the Buttons I use these days.

They are pearl shell buttons.  I understand the pearl is harvested in Australia, made up in Italy and the retailer I found is in USA: 

http://www.prestigebuttons.com/

They work out to about $17.00 a shirt but that is still less than I can buy locally and they are much better quality.

I would love to get them cheaper!

Attached Files

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#2 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

I like those buttons Schneiderfrei much nicer than any plastic ones I have seen. Thank you for sharing.

As for the price, remember for those of us who care about what we wear it is all in the detail... and you can always recycle them when your shirt expires :)

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#3 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

Thank you for your reply Mr Todd.

I certainly agree with your philosophy of care.  And yes they will be recycled but as with any natural product they fade with time.  Especially I suspect with washing and ironing.  So, I try to only hand wash in cold water and not press them too directly with the iron.

As for getting them cheaper, I am amused that they are harvested in my home country, and crafted in Italy where style is Master and I bless Prestige Buttons for making them available, but can we do better?? :Big Grin:

• Mr Todd likes this

Shell made out of gold

#4 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

You will find this truly disgusting but after reading this post and remembering what mother of pearl buttons looked like, while I was taking a quick look through a Chinese bargain shop near where I live I saw these packets of fake mother of pearl buttons for $1.20 for what looks like about 100 or more 11 mm buttons. That is slightly over 1 cent each. Now for obvious reasons they do not look anywhere as nice as the natural ones but from more than a couple of feet you most probably would not be able to see the difference.

Mass production is truly disgusting.  :w00t:

• ladhrann likes this

#5 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

....as with any natural product they fade with time.  Especially I suspect with washing and ironing.  So, I try to only hand wash in cold water and not press them too directly with the iron.

...as with any natural product they fade with time.  Especially I suspect with washing and ironing.  So, I try to only hand wash in cold water and not press them too directly with the iron....

MOP does not have to fade if properly treated. The main problems are from modern living; chemical attacks from aftershave, antiperspirant, deoderant, hair spray, perfume, biological wash powder, even perspiration, and drying out.

To wash, I button my shirts, turn them inside out, scrub the collar and cuffs with soap and water before washing the whole shirt in 'Woolite' (Stergene and Dreft were also good but they have disapeared from the shelves now :( ), dry the buttons with a soft cloth and rub them with clean fingers. The oils in the skin will stop them drying out... :)

#6 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

...I saw these packets of fake mother of pearl buttons for $1.20 for what looks like about 100 or more 11 mm buttons. That is slightly over 1 cent each. Now for obvious reasons they do not look anywhere as nice as the natural ones but from more than a couple of feet you most probably would not be able to see the difference...

Interesting, what were they made of, and were they being sold as real MOP buttons or did they just apear to be MOP?

#7 hutch48

hutch48

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Interests:Big snippers, practical garments, computer programming and engineering. New website at signature link.

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

These are definitely plastic buttons, they are "Day Newer" brand and come in a bubble pack that says STATIONARY PINS & CLIPS. Having invested the sum of $2.40 AU, I may in fact find a use for them some day.  :yes:

#8 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I am not disgusted, there are I guess those who can tell the difference and those who can't. You won't put MOP buttons on theirs who can't  :thumbsup: .

Edited by Schneiderfrei, 18 March 2014 - 01:23 PM.

• Mr Todd likes this

Shell made out of gold

#9 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

I understand that buttons are measured in 'lignes' - 40 lignes = 1inch.

Shell made out of gold

#10 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

I understand that buttons are measured in 'lignes' - 40 lignes = 1inch.

It is true. One of the relics from the pre-metric system.

#11 Mr Todd

Mr Todd

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

My dear Schneiderfrei, On the question of getting them cheaper have you asked if they will give a discount for bulk purchases?

It is a shame we live on different sides of the world we could have formed a buying syndicate for people 'who know the difference' ;)

#12 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Yes, relics  :pinch: .  I have not asked about bulk purchases as the wanting to have them crept up gradually.  They do look and feel excellent in large quantities. 

Shell made out of gold

#13 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

You can buy huge amounts of both plastic and MOP buttons on ebay for ridiculously low prices. Shirtbuttons at least. Quality wise it's a 'hope and pray'. I was positively surprised once, and let down twice.

Lignes is a nice standard.

Edited by OJD, 18 March 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#14 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

I do forget to try ebay for stuff, I got out of the habit while looking for antique books, such as the ones posted on these fora. I figured that if you were buying on ebay you were always competing with someone else, I suppose there are many more "buy it now" options these days.

Well lignes still seems more human than a tiny division of the planet.

Shell made out of gold

#15 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Yes, relics  :pinch: .  I have not asked about bulk purchases as the wanting to have them crept up gradually.  They do look and feel excellent in large quantities. 

The standard order size [depending on company] is 500 for 18L or 16L i.e. the front buttons and 200 for 14L placket or button down collar buttons. Wholesale in euro runs about 00.60/pc 

#16 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

What kind of quality buttons is that referring to ladhrann?

Shell made out of gold

#17 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Mercier, in France, sells truly magnificent MOP buttons though these are thin ones (which I prefer than thicker ones as being more understated).

Sold by 100 pieces around 30 euros for their best quality if I remember well.

http://www.boutons-mercier.com/

They propose several designs for their top quality shirt buttons ("nacre franche").

http://www.boutons-m...sNFChemises.jpg

as well as dark and light grey MOP buttons:

http://www.boutons-m...s/BtsNg1Ng2.jpg

They send cards.

These buttons are used by most parisian shirtmakers and haute couture houses.

Hope it helps

Edited by gramountoto, 19 March 2014 - 04:16 PM.

• ladhrann and Mr Todd like this

#18 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Now that's starting to sound really good.

The ones I have been using are quite thick but not gaudy.  They also have an delicate ripple to the nacre, some are more striking than others.  I take the time to put the most pleasing buttons toward the top of the shirt.

Prior to the buttons I currently use I could only find very thin paua shell, they are delightful but not really for a mans shirt.

Thank you very much for the links

Shell made out of gold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users