Photo

Rory Duffy Has Opened a Tailoring Academy in Ireland

Rory Duffy Bespoke Tailoring Courses Mens Pattern Drafting Course Savile Row-Trained Tailors

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:28 AM

His bespoke tailoring course is an

intense 15 week training session ... The first course on offer is Pattern drafting of Men's Bespoke Garments. Pattern cutting is the base needed by any tailor wishing to master handcraft tailoring, no matter how well any garment is constructed, unless the garments fit as easily as a second skin all the other craftsmanship is at a [loss] to both the wearer and the tailor. The student will learn about body portions, variations in the male form and how to cut for a range of figures allowing for the idiosyncrasies of the human body.

Beginning with the trouser draft, Rory walks each student through the knock knee, bow and straight leg drafting techniques ensuring each student understands before move them forward to the next stage.

Next on the agenda is the waistcoat, each student will learn the single breasted, double breasted and corpulent draft. There will also be an opportunity to exam[ine] waistcoat drafts from the turn of the last century.

Over the final five weeks the student will learn the coat draft for the single breasted, double breasted and corpulent style. The project will be set that each student will draft, cut and baste a muslin pattern for a corpulent male figure (my father), grade [will] be assigned and the student who cuts the pattern with fewest alterations with be awarded "Student of the Year".

https://roryduffy.bl...y-old-park.html

So shall we all take off four months and fly to Ireland?   :)

• cperry and ChiTownTailor like this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

For me? It is a quick hop across the Irish sea, and I am seriously thinking about it, I could come home at the weekend!

• tailleuse and cperry like this

#3 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

There are two places still available.

The course is reasonably priced aimed at being affordable to students, am confident the material covered could allow the graduate to enter the industry as a pattern cutter.

Unlike London and other major cities accommodation is also available only a short walk from the Academy which is much lower than that available to students in London's East End.

A full syllabus for the pattern cutting course will be available in the coming days.

More classes with be added in the New Year.

• tailleuse, cperry and ChiTownTailor like this
Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo
Blogspot

#4 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:42 PM

If someone here in USA need cutting classes, I can do that here as well. No big deal. I work metric, German systems, fool proof, 5.0 mm around the body. Stitching suits together seam on seam no alteration necessary.

5000$ as long as it needs but only for the right person. Correct English or German. Common sense mind, mathematically sound.

Edited by Der Zuschneider, 10 July 2016 - 04:11 AM.

• tailleuse, jeffrey2117, cperry and 2 others like this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#5 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

Rory,
Is there a chance you'd offer a tailoring course similar to this course's structure? Stateside? .

Pete
  • tailleuse likes this
AMATEURSARTO

#6 Rory Duffy

Rory Duffy

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

Hi Pete,

I did seriously consider basing  my academy Stateside, but found any option too expensive. I want my academy to be affordable, as is often the case, those who would benefit the most wouldn't be able to afford the fees. There is a reason why my video series "The Making of a Coat" was free to view online, so it could reach and inspire more people to join the trade.

With air travel being more convenient now, more routes and a competitive pricing structure, I feel that those who really want to learn will make the effort and travel to Ireland. In my experience it is more affordable to fly to Ireland than mainland UK. Accommodation, food and transportation all cost less here. Saying that, considering the location there is accommodation available through the academy, which is self catering and complementary pick up and drop off from Dublin or Belfast airports.

The location of the academy is rural, which offers few distractions. Too often in NY my interns, some traveling from out of State where too fond of the night life which impacted their daily studies.

• tailleuse, Henry Hall, Schneiderfrei and 1 other like this
Rory Duffy - Handcraft Tailor

Rory Duffy Bespoke
YouTube / Vimeo
Blogspot

#7 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

I traveled to Washington state and lived there for three years to complete my learning in Manual therapy.  It was all self funded.  You have to follow your dreams you know.

• tailleuse and tombennett like this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#8 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Well, that's all paid, Ireland here I come.  Really looking forward to this opportunity. :)

• tailleuse and Schneiderfrei like this

#9 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

The location of the academy is rural, which offers few distractions. Too often in NY my interns, some traveling from out of State where too fond of the night life which impacted their daily studies.

Rory,

Is it possible to rent a machine in order to work at home, assuming the students won't have 24-hour access to the workroom? Just curious. Many fashion students I've known had an industrial machine at home.  If they had a big deadline they would go home at 2 a.m. and continue to work.

You might want to indicate what level of sewing skills is required. 

Edited by tailleuse, 22 June 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#10 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:22 AM

Well, that's all paid, Ireland here I come.  Really looking forward to this opportunity. :)

What kind of price tag are we looking at for the course alone?

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#11 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Without accommodation it cost £4000 for 15 weeks intensive learning, I'm taking my camera but I don't expect to have much time to  take any photographs.

Edited by tombennett, 06 July 2016 - 05:09 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

#12 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:28 PM

I was paying 900 USD for a weekend (18 hrs) of manual therapy training 15 years ago.

Edited by Schneiderfrei, 05 July 2016 - 09:29 PM.

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#13 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:27 AM

It certainly is a great deal SF, of course there is accommodation and food on top of that but that is negligible.

• tailleuse likes this

#14 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:15 PM

If I want to make a career in tailoring then I need to learn from the best, and have a good name behind me.  Originally I just wanted to make some nice trousers, maybe a shirt or two but then the bug bit me, reawakening the passion I had when I first left school; I've always said how I regretted not taking tailoring further, my Auntie was pleased when I told her over the weekend.  With flight, accommodation and food it is going to be closer to £8000.  I calculate that this will be the best way to move forward, I am hoping to make that back in a year, with Rory's help.  As for sewing machines, the course if specifically for cutting so the only sewing being done will be the first baste which will be hand sewn.

• tailleuse likes this

#15 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

If I want to make a career in tailoring then I need to learn from the best, and have a good name behind me.  Originally I just wanted to make some nice trousers, maybe a shirt or two but then the bug bit me, reawakening the passion I had when I first left school; I've always said how I regretted not taking tailoring further, my Auntie was pleased when I told her over the weekend.  With flight, accommodation and food it is going to be closer to £8000.  I calculate that this will be the best way to move forward, I am hoping to make that back in a year, with Rory's help.  As for sewing machines, the course if specifically for cutting so the only sewing being done will be the first baste which will be hand sewn.

When do you start? 

#16 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:59 PM

1st August, not long now.

• fronno and tailleuse like this

#17 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:13 PM

Fèlicitations à vous, tombennett!  I inquired about the course, but the timing wasn't right .  I agree that you have to invest in yourself to make the best of yourself.  I hope that you are able to chronicle your experience and share it here.  Enjoy!

Edited by amateursarto, 01 August 2016 - 07:15 PM.

• tailleuse likes this
AMATEURSARTO

#18 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:48 AM

Thanks Pete, it's a real shame you couldn't match the timing as there is a spare place, I understand that Rory will be running some more classes in the New Year.  Only two days in and so far it is matching up to all of my expectations.

Rory is a great guy and the other two students are fun too.  I am in the middle age wise and the only male apart from the master.  We have started to learn Rory's drafting methods which on the face of it seems to be a very good system, so far we have drafted the top part of a pair of trousers; I am starting to understand what I have been doing for the last year.  I'm going to take some photos to post but we have bene very busy.  We have no distractions here as we are situated in the middle of absolutely nowhere, though probably not as desolate as the outback, eh Hutch.  As we are in Ireland the weather is changeable.  We stay at Rory's parent house who have set up as a self-catering situation in their house.  The academy itself is in Rory's house which is a beautiful late 19th century farm house with adjoining farm, with the obligatory stray kittens.  Rory has done an amazing job getting his academy up and running and I am truly pleased to be a member of the first cohort to experience the course.

More updates as they come.
 8)

• tailleuse and A. Ferrell like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rory Duffy, Bespoke Tailoring Courses, Mens Pattern Drafting Course, Savile Row-Trained Tailors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users