#1 funkyfresh84

funkyfresh84

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:03 AM

​Dear all,

​I'm searching for buttons. I have commissioned a two piece lounge suit. The fabric I have chosen is a light grey with a hint of violet. The colour of the fabric is fairly even and homogenous.

​The overall look I am aiming for is light and affable, with an elegant, simple cut, a balanced and moderate style. 

​I'm hoping to find some buttons which will complement this style. I have an idea of what I am looking for. Colour is critical. I'm looking for buttons which have a similar lightness value to that of the fabric of the suit, with some colour but not a very bold colour. Possibly the colour should be a contrasting colour, opposite violet on the colour wheel, so perhaps slightly yellow or slightly orange or slightly green. Ideally I would like the colour of the buttons to be homogenous with a slight translucence. I also have in mind that I would like the buttons to have "wide flat" rims.

​I have done a lot of searching but have been unable to find such buttons. It would be great help if any of you can share knowledge with me of where I might find such buttons or even of any button maker who I might be able to commission to make these buttons. I'm based in London, but don't mind ordering internationally.

​So far I have looked at horn buttons, however the majority I have seen have been too dark, highly figured and with a traditional round rim. I like the translucence of horn, and it seems some are homogenous and without figuration, which I like, but I haven't seen any the right colour or with flat rims. To me the figuration of most horn buttons is complexity. Most horn buttons I've seen are dark and richly complex, to me there is something heavy and old about that. I'm looking for simple and plain, light and affable. 

​So horn without figuration, the right colour and rims might be what would be right, if I can find it. I would be fine with round rims if I can't find flat rims. I haven't yet seen any polyester buttons which seem right. Are there any other materials I should be investigating?

​Can you give me any guidance or direct me to where I may find such suitable buttons?

Many Thanks,

Duncan

#2 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

go
http://www.jagdberg-shop.de/en/shop
maybe they have it
lg
posaune

Edited by posaune, 25 April 2017 - 06:03 AM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#3 lepus

lepus

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:09 AM

​Dear all,

​I'm searching for buttons. I have commissioned a two piece lounge suit. The fabric I have chosen is a light grey with a hint of violet. The colour of the fabric is fairly even and homogenous.

​The overall look I am aiming for is light and affable, with an elegant, simple cut, a balanced and moderate style. 

​I'm hoping to find some buttons which will complement this style. I have an idea of what I am looking for. Colour is critical. I'm looking for buttons which have a similar lightness value to that of the fabric of the suit, with some colour but not a very bold colour. Possibly the colour should be a contrasting colour, opposite violet on the colour wheel, so perhaps slightly yellow or slightly orange or slightly green. Ideally I would like the colour of the buttons to be homogenous with a slight translucence. I also have in mind that I would like the buttons to have "wide flat" rims.

​I have done a lot of searching but have been unable to find such buttons. It would be great help if any of you can share knowledge with me of where I might find such buttons or even of any button maker who I might be able to commission to make these buttons. I'm based in London, but don't mind ordering internationally.

​So far I have looked at horn buttons, however the majority I have seen have been too dark, highly figured and with a traditional round rim. I like the translucence of horn, and it seems some are homogenous and without figuration, which I like, but I haven't seen any the right colour or with flat rims. To me the figuration of most horn buttons is complexity. Most horn buttons I've seen are dark and richly complex, to me there is something heavy and old about that. I'm looking for simple and plain, light and affable. 

​So horn without figuration, the right colour and rims might be what would be right, if I can find it. I would be fine with round rims if I can't find flat rims. I haven't yet seen any polyester buttons which seem right. Are there any other materials I should be investigating?

​Can you give me any guidance or direct me to where I may find such suitable buttons?

Many Thanks,

Duncan

Buy white or whiteish buttons of the right shape and dye them (in one batch, including extras). Several directions can be found on the internet. You can achieve exactly the colour you want, although you may have to experiment a little bit. Depending on the material, fabric dyes work well and penetrate thoroughly.

#4 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

Have a look through this collection.

http://hornknoepfe.de/

G

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#5 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:57 AM

Hello, Here is a link to Bias Bespoke, they have a good selection of buttons and other items for sale on Ebay and other stores.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/biasbespoke

Regards

Jeffrey2117

"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#6 lngn2

lngn2

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Duncan,

What about mother of pearl - either white or smoke? Plenty of sources but in London Kenton Trimmings are a good call. Who is making the suit?

#7 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:37 AM

Prestige Buttons are good. Not cheap but the MOP buttons are rather extraordinary, they have a small range of horn.

http://prestigebuttons.com/home

G

Shell made out of gold

#8 lngn2

lngn2

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Yesterday I bumped in to the MD of Courtney and Co who are a British button maker and have some lovely stuff - also worth a try I suggest!

#9 funkyfresh84

funkyfresh84

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

Thanks everybody who kindly shared resources! 

#10 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Does anybody have experience buying from Hornknoepfe.de

I just tried to use them and I have been unable to make contact.  Also my browser says they are not a secure company.

Hmm, they seem to have some good buttons.

G

Shell made out of gold

#11 peterle

peterle

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

Did you see the "Anmelden" top right?

Seems you have to register as a new customer (als neuer Kunde registrieren) .

BTW: I don´t get a "not secure" when loading the site.

#12 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

Thanks Peterle, I did try to register.  I will look again.

Shell made out of gold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Buttons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users