RonD

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:28 AM

New here from Canada,

Glad to have found this forum

I am interested in finding patterns and making  earlt 20th century clothes.

EX:  club collar shirts, tweed jackets and even a burberry style trench coat.

Type of clothing that is often seen in movies that pertains to Irish pubs and the such

around the turn of the last century.

My problem is, I am just learning to sew, therefore:  I will probably never be able to join 

the professionals flora.   Do members of the professional flora have access to response to

the basic forum?

Anyhow, regardless, this is just what I was looking for.

I search and search for patterns and can't find any.

Sincerely,

RonD

#704 RonD

RonD

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

OK,,,I will start with a club collar shirt...

Ronald

#705 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:51 AM

New here from Canada,

Glad to have found this forum

I am interested in finding patterns and making  earlt 20th century clothes.

EX:  club collar shirts, tweed jackets and even a burberry style trench coat.

Type of clothing that is often seen in movies that pertains to Irish pubs and the such

around the turn of the last century.

My problem is, I am just learning to sew, therefore:  I will probably never be able to join 

the professionals flora.   Do members of the professional flora have access to response to

the basic forum?

Anyhow, regardless, this is just what I was looking for.

I search and search for patterns and can't find any.

Sincerely,

RonD

RonD,

In this forum you will not find patterns as such, but you will find many drafts for patterns for various garments, many in your target time period, but you will have to draft them, test them and adjust them yourself.

If you do this as a project and post it in the beginners section, you will find responces of assistance from the wider forum community. 

If there are drafts referred to that are destroyed by the photobucket debacle, make a request and someone may be able to re-post them through a more reputable hosting site.

G

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#706 Jonathan Arklay

Jonathan Arklay

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

Hello to one and all,

Firstly a big thank you to the community for your efforts to keep such a valid and necessary trade/craft/skill current and accessible.

My personal involvement in this ancient and amazing craft is that due to ill health and disability my wife and I have been restricted to the indignity of living within the UK's rapidly dissolving welfare system. Our wardrobe is now mostly over 10 years old and in need of almost total replacement.

We are hell bent on avoiding the "fast fashion" junk that might be cheap to buy but literally costs the earth, so as a creative engineer, who now has to stay at home all day, I have a lot of time on my hands and a lot of dexterity and significant design skills. What better use of my time can there be than Tailoring and Making our wardrobe.

My desire is to try to learn the skills that would be taught to an apprentice and apply them using only GOTs approved sustainable fabrics and haberdashery / notions. I am also a foolish perfectionist who will literally bleed trying to perfect a technique or skill, so with some patience and help from those who have passed the point of pain and disappointment, should be able to master the basic skill required of me.

This maybe a tall order but I love to make and create so, given a helping hand from a forum such as this I am hopeful of at least being able to not embarrass myself, and my wife of course, in public in garments that I have tailored.

Thanks again for the invite to learn, I hope I progress to a point that justifies your efforts.

Regards,

Jonathan

PS All of the PhotBucket images are blurred, is this likely a problem at my end?

#707 Jonathan Arklay

Jonathan Arklay

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

I notice my PS question has been asked a few times before, and also been answed. The Wayback Machine solution seems to work well.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#708 pfaff260

pfaff260

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Everything about tailoring.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:34 PM

Did you look here http://movsd.com/Bes...utter/index.php You might like it!

It's more alive than this one.

• tombennett likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users