lemetailors

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:52 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Paulo, I'm from Portugal.

I will start an online tailoring mtm business that is scheduled to start towards the end of the first quarter.
I want to sell shirts and shirts by measure, using the best fabrics, Scabal, H & S, Cerruti, Alumo, Monti, etc.
I also want accessories such as ties (Italian silk), shoes, belts, socks, etc.
All products will be made in portugal.
I have some doubts about the socks, whether customers prefer 100% Egyptian cotton socks or with 90% Egyptian cotton and 10% polyamide. This to give durability to the sock. But it will be better to open a topic.
I hope to learn and can also teach something in this forum.
Best Regards
Paulo

Edited by lemetailors, 23 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#668 Mammothy

Mammothy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm from Germany and used to dabble in computers and webdesign.

My great-grandfather was a men's tailor master, so it may as well be in the blood.

I'm going to start training as ladies tailor in summer, but I try to learn as much as possible before starting the training, partly because it really interests me but also because my work has to be exceptional to get a job as Schneider Geselle after the exams in 2019.

I found this forum through Hobbyschneiderin.net where it was recommended to someone who felt confused about the apparent lack of professional literature (in Germany)

I hope to learn a lot of things here. Actually I did already benefit from this forum, as I learned about the importance of a thimble, and trough the "instruction video" that I found a brilliant video on vimeo about how Dior works Haute Coture models.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#669 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:46 PM

As a Schneider Geselle, will you have to wear the amusing outfit?? :)

Me zo ganet e-kreiz ar mor 
Teir leo er-maez

#670 Mammothy

Mammothy

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

As a Schneider Geselle, will you have to wear the amusing outfit?? :)

Hihi, no I won't. I'm not going on the "Walz", as I have a family and a toddler to care for.

The prerequisite for going on the Walz are 1. being single 2. have no children 3. be free from debt. (some age restrictions may apply too)

It would have been fun though... If I was any younger and single.

Wearing the red vest and trousers, and a black hat could be très chic :) Maybe I will make an attempt to replicate some features of the "uniform" in silk for my Meisterprüfung. Getting pictures in my head now, I will make a sketch right now.

My great grandfather did go out for 3 and a half years to learn all he could from everywhere. Imitating him to some extend, I will run around in circles at home and go far and wide online.

Tailor Journeyman's clothing:

Color: wine red. Hat: Black

The jacket, like the vest, is decorated with mother-of-pearl buttons.

The three shining discs on the cuff stand for the three years, which they are on the journey.

The six on the jacket for the six working days,

The eight-hour day is marked by the eight buttons on the waistcoat.

Like all the other journeymen they wear flared guild pants.

Edited by Mammothy, 28 February 2017 - 10:00 AM.

#671 Calciver

Calciver

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:03 AM

Hello everyone
I'm Simone from Switzerland and very thankful to have found this forum. I'm new to tailoring and this forum shines like pure gold in the world wide web. Thanks to all, who had contributed. I learned a lot from the posts already. And I’m looking forward to read and learn more.
Best regards
Simone

#672 Ash Zrl

Ash Zrl

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

Hi friends!

My name is Ash and I am a designer turned a Tailor bcos I think creating a Jacket is more cool than sketching one.

I am from Kathmandu, Nepal and learning coat pattern making & construction here in New York. I came to know about this forum and feel super great to be a part of it as it has immense knowledge and information flowing here. Its an ocean!

Keep the good things coming and congrats to Sator for successfully running this form.

Cheers!

a

#673 Ash Zrl

Ash Zrl

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Hi friends!

My name is Ash and I am a designer turned a Tailor bcos I think creating a Jacket is more cool than sketching one.

I am from Kathmandu, Nepal and learning coat pattern making & construction here in New York. I came to know about this forum and feel super great to be a part of it as it has immense knowledge and information flowing here. Its an ocean!

Keep the good things coming and congrats to Sator for successfully running this form.

Cheers!

a

#674 Eviers

Eviers

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Sherlock Holmes, Yu Yu Hakusho, Garment Making, and German.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

Hello my name is Eviers Innocent I reside Westchester New York. I am a young man looking to one day become a grate garment maker, but as of now I am at an absolute beginner and will appreciate any readings, advice, or anything that will help me learn the basics and give me a solid foundation to start off with. I like the posting rules of this forum, it makes for very educational environment. Also I am open to work as an apprentice/intern at no pay anywhere in the New York tristate area. 

Glad I found this forum.

#675 Maxim Thatcher

Maxim Thatcher

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

Hello I am new to cutter and tailor and wanted to thank you to be a part of the community. I have read books on this site that has really expanded my knowledge but I have questions and want to be able to interact with everyone and my first question is, how do I interpret the overlapping on patterns and how do I work around them or in general how do I work with them. Do I trace them? Cut them? Cut around them? Any feedback?

#676 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

If the outlines of a garment part overlap on the paper draft you are meant to copy out each part separately to pattern pieces.

Me zo ganet e-kreiz ar mor 
Teir leo er-maez

#677 Fran

Fran

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:36 AM

Hello everyone,
I'm a 27 years old Italian and I've been reading the forum for about three years before I've finally decided to join. I am thankful for the knowledge you share and I hope I can give my contribution here.
I'm just a beginner at the moment...

• Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#678 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Everybody starts as a beginner, yeah? Welcome.
  • Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#679 Johannes

Johannes

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring, Vintage Motorcycles, Photography, Antiques

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

Hello everybody,

my name is Johannes, I'm originally from Munich, Germany but I live in Bergen, Norway since 10 years. I started to become interested in sewing more or less by accident as I was looking for someone who could sew curtains for my appartment after not finding any ready made ones that I liked. I knew one girl in my circle of friends who had a sewing machine and when I visited her with the fabric, she insisted I should give it a try myself. At first I didn't want to but then when it looked so easy (after all, it was just a straight hem seam) I gave it a shot.

Not long after that, I bought a sewing machine myself (a Pfaff select 3.0, that was one of the ones recommended by a forum after googling a bit) in the hope of learning to hem new trousers that I bought. Since I developed a taste for classic mans fashion I tried out a few more easier alterations such as slimming shirts. I gradually developed a hunger to learn more, slimming shoulders on a coat I bought on ebay with moderate results. Then I got into making pyjamas and later robes (both in the style of Turnbull & Asser that I admired but were a bit out of my price range). The 3rd pair of pyjamas was almost decent, as was the robe. :)

At this point I'm into making trousers, I made 5 of them since November and after being kind of happy with the results I bought even more fabric to make more trousers.

I stopped a few weeks ago when I discovered this forum through more googling and finding out that, was I thought was decent, was actually far from being truly fitted to my body. I've read a lot on this forum since then and bought Cabreras book on mens wear as suggested.

I know a small bespoke tailor in Munich, that I occasionally visit when I'm there. I used his services in the past from time to time, and he is very nice and gives me tips on how to improve my skills. I'm here for advice from all of you and look forward to become more skilled on this journey.

Thank you for this opportunity.

#680 CDB

CDB

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Carla, I am not a newbie to patterns , or sewing,  but I am rediscovering menswear these last few years. And there is no place to stop learning in this business.  I learned hand tailoring as a teenager mostly because of the clothes I had to have and could not afford or did not exist. I then went on to study costume design & fashion history. Over different periods I have learned more tailoring while working in costume construction- the big shops hire the best tailors from Europe during the season- if you pay attention you learn a lot. I work in leather now and have been doing a lot of hybrid tailoring, all in leather since that's my specialty. I've had to develop techniques as I go and incorporate what I know where I can. And in the process have discovered I enjoy designing and making menswear more than womenswear.  

Cheers!

#681 m2m

m2m

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Hello Administrator, this m2m.

#682 AngusArchie

AngusArchie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:08 AM

Hello friends,

I am Angus Archie from Los Angeles, USA and I am glad to join this forum. I provide a huge collection of new design clothes for women at an affordable cost and I want to know some more information for providing the best service.

#683 imtiyaztailor

imtiyaztailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:09 AM

Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users