21 replies to this topic

#1 jsrowan

jsrowan

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:17 PM

I purchased this coat for $10 at a charity store quite some months ago. I have done some digging around for information relating to the maker of the coat, but there is next to no mention online apart from phone book references and some dead links on other websites.

The tag says "Peter Moore 32 Savile Row London W.1". Interestingly when I obtained the coat the 32 was covered with correction fluid and a 13 written neatly in its place, which I scratced to reveal the original text. Online phone books state the address as number 13. Could this be a misprint on the label that was covered up?

I would like to learn more about this coat, is the tailor still around today someplace (number 13 is now otherwise occupied according to my research), what is this tailor's reputation, et cetera.

If any readers of this thread know any details, I would appreciate your time in sharing them

Following are a lot of pictures of the coat

The front

IMG_0575_zpspjd3znkr.jpg

The back

IMG_0580_zpswknhklym.jpg

The cuff buttons and holes (2 working, 2 sham)

IMG_0578_zpsb9gkephh.jpg

Front buttonholes

IMG_0577_zpsu4kpaiqx.jpg

Side and sleeve

IMG_0579_zpsoaltq4qz.jpg

Inner pocket finishing

IMG_0583_zpstzlmu37z.jpg

Underside of collar

IMG_0595_zpsgugznla6.jpg

Lining stitching to front facing

IMG_0594_zpsqqwu2pgu.jpg

Finally, the label - I have erased the client's name for privacy

IMG_05971_zpsxfnlewyz.jpg

Thank-you to those who have any information on this coat...

• tailleuse, Schneiderfrei and greenlake like this

#2 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Clothes (especially from the 1960s), Music Production, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

Can't  give you any information, however, it is a lovely find.  Not quite my style but it is a nice example.

#3 jsrowan

jsrowan

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

thanks - this was a lucky thing to find at a low price. On that day there were quite a few bespokes in the shop, but sadly I could only buy one!

#4 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

It's amusing that after all the work, instead of having a new label put in, the old address number is simply tippexed out. I love a bit of make-do-and-mend.

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#5 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:00 PM

Believe some businesses open small time tailors to use their premises. If this is true, then the small tailors could move to different places to do business. This would be for tailors to meet their customers and do fittings. This way tailors can work from home, or a distance shop, and have a presentable location for customers once a week or three times a week, or whatever the deal is.
  • tailleuse likes this

#6 pter moore

pter moore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:12 AM

I have just come across this forum and was astonished to find the posting by "umsie". The coat that he purchased for ten dollars was truly a bargain, it would be little more than the horn buttons would cost today. I know because it looks remarkably like my tailoring and is certainly carrying my label in the inside breast pocket but without knowing the name of the client it was made for I can't be one hundred per cent sure "only ninety nine per cent sure.

I don't know if there is the mechanism in this forum to pass my email address to umsie, and I grant my permission to do so, but to him alone I can give him much more information about myself and his jacket.

In the mean time I will keep my eye on this forum.

pter moore

• Measure Man and Schneiderfrei like this

#7 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

Ok....this is the most excitement on this forum in a while!

Peter, you can send jsrowan a private message- just look at the top right hand corner of your screen. (Everyone is "Umsie" when they are new members - including you at the moment!)

#8 pter moore

pter moore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:29 AM

spookietoo,

Thank you for your response and information. I have been looking at the top of my screen and can't find anything that prompts a personal private message. No doubt the fact that I am coming up 82 years and just coming to terms with the television remote may have something to do with it.

Best wishes anyway

Peter Moore

#9 Measure Man

Measure Man

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:46 AM

I have sent a PM to jsrowan asking him to PM Peter.

#10 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:30 PM

Hi Peter!

In my excitement earlier, I forgot to mention how lovely your work is.

I've sent you a PM to make the personal message icon easier to find. It is just a tiny little drawing of an envelope. It should now also have a little red dot with the numer "1" in it, due to my message. Hope this helps.

82 years old and on a computer having come from a non-technical background is awesome! I never noticed the envelope icon myself until someone sent me a PM and that red dot showed up!
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#11 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

Just move the mouse pointer over the member name and a little menu shows up. One of the options is to send a message to that member.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#12 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

I missed this, rather exciting.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#13 pter moore

pter moore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

I think I should bring this thread to a conclusion by confirming that I have been in touch with J S Rowan by personal message and having been informed of the clients name on the label, the jacket is without doubt one I made Thirty one years ago. Such is the nature of work produced in Savile Row and I daresay there are many garments throughout the World in this condition still giving good service.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank SPOOKIETOO and MEASUREMAN for their help in guiding me through the processes of this forum 

Peter Moore

• Measure Man, Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#14 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:44 AM

Oh! I thought we might hear about some of your background, like where you trained and when you were in business. A bit of history.

• tombennett likes this

#15 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Mr. Moore, I agree with Mr. Hall. Sir, if you're willing, I'll wager there's quite a few here who'd benefit from even the most casual comments from yourself. Speaking only for myself as someone learning, that which is assumed by mastery is magic to newbies. Thanks for sharing.
  • tombennett likes this

#16 pter moore

pter moore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:43 PM

I appreciate the point being made by the last two posts and I will try and give some account of my life in the bespoke tailoring industry at sometime in the near future.

Peter Moore

• Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#17 pter moore

pter moore

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

Hope this is not too protracted and boring !!!     I began life in the tailoring industry in the second half of 1951, training to become a coatmaker. My main training was with a coatmaker working for Hogg and Sons of Hanover Square, one of the foremost tailors of the day.It was interupted at the age of 18 to do National Service in the Royal Air Force. I returned directly afterwards to complete my training and subsequently to start coatmaking in my own right. Fortunately the cutter that my boss worked for gave me the chance.

As I progressed with my coatmaking I realised that I wanted to Know how to cut, fit, and cater to my own customers. I attended Barratt Street College evening classes and attained my City and Guilds. Barrett Street College was, I think. the forerunner to The London College of Fashion, but I may be wrong. I worked along these lines combining coat making for Hoggs and gradually building a clientele of my own. All this took olace in Newburgh Street, a little street in the north west corner of Soho, London, which ran alongside Carnaby Street and this was before  Carnaby Street became famous. In the early 60s I took a shop in Newburgh Street at No12 and was there until 1974. I had been advised by more than one person that I was on the wrong side of Regent Street. For those not familiar with the geography the east side of Regent street is Soho, the west side is Mayfair and could fairly be described as the upmarket side and it is here that Savile Row is situated running parallel to and one block over from Regent Street and it is here the finest tailors had their premises. Obviously there were many other very excellent tailors operating in the area around Savile Row. I shared premises in Savile Row until 1982 when I took my own on the first floor of No10.I was here for 18 years  and when the lease ended coinciding with me being 65 I decided I didn't want the responsibility of another lease and so I managed to secure some space in a friends premises at No13 Savile Row. I stayed there until 2011 and retired at the age of 76. I have thoroughly enjoyed my life as a tailor and have been fortunate enough to have lived through an era of quality, service and value.                          It is very difficult to condense nearly sixty years of life in a few paragraphs, but I hope this is what you had in mind.    Regards,  Peter Moore.   

• cperry, Henry Hall, greenlake and 3 others like this

#18 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:16 AM

Sir, thank you Sir. More than I'd've ever known. How amazing I might be able to use google earth street view and look at the very areas and addresses on my phone.

Match that with a pile of books from the 50s and shears from earlier decades just feet away from me, and suffice that say I'm renewed and reinvigored to push past newbie-hack frustration.

Sir, thank you again, Sir!
AL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users