11 replies to this topic

#1 ALoni

ALoni

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

Hello, everyone. I have two books for sale that were purchased new by my elderly (96 years old) father R T Loni who was a Master Tailor by trade, based in Greenock (Scotland). I myself am based in Ledbury, Herefordshire.

They are as follows:

1. 'Cutting and Designing for Mens Tailoring', by J Cutler (New Era, 1st edition, c1950) 
  2. 'Ladies Garment Cutting and Making', by F R Morris (with photos/illustrations by Leonora Morris: New Era, 3rd edition, c1950)

The books, and the bindings, are in very nice condition; the second one comes with the original outer protective storage box and page tags. There are no tears/marks/damage/inscriptions.

I have only seen a few copies for sale over the last several years, so they appear to be quite rare - there are currently a couple for sale on ABEbooks, but these are not in as good a condition as these ones.

I have detailed photos showing the condition of each, but the file size is greater than the 150Kb limit allowed. If anyone is interested, I will send the photos by e-mail.

I am open to offers...... Hopefully someone can put these to good use!

Many thanks!

Armando Loni.

#2 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

Brother, keep 'em. Find a conservator to preserve them properly, and put them safely aside for grandkids. If nothing more than a trigger for fireside stories, it makes them priceless. I always think of such things when tools from former trades come my way. Best rgds, AL
  • MANSIE WAUCH, Alfye, cperry and 3 others like this

#3 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

You could scan them and send the scanned pages to someone who knows how to put it into a PDF for publishing and then on to a Internet site for public availability. That way it becomes a resource for thousands of people. 

Scan at 300 dpi. And, in color. Set adjustments so there is no letter or number or line loss. Photos also need adjustments during scans where what is hidden in the shadows are revealed. Many old photos can be greatly improved by adjusting when scanning. 

All of this is a lot of work. 10 minutes several times a week and eventually the books are done and many people can enjoy. 

If you do scan them, thank you. 

Edited by greger, 21 March 2017 - 09:20 AM.

• Alfye and Futura like this

#4 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:30 AM

Just to let you all now I have bought these to add to my library, if I find time Greger, I may scan them.

Thanks Armando,

Tom

• cperry, Schneiderfrei, Futura and 1 other like this

#5 Futura

Futura

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Dressmaking/designing, drafting methods and theory

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:47 AM

Just to let you all now I have bought these to add to my library, if I find time Greger, I may scan them.

Thanks Armando,

Tom

'Ladies Garment Cutting and Making' was available online through a now defunct webpage. (It appears to be the 3rd edition.) You can still access the text and scanned illustrations at: https://web.archive....m-toc-long.html

Glad to hear the books sold... otherwise I was tempted to own a second copy! ;)

Edited by Futura, 22 March 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#6 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:19 AM

I just can't turn them down, I am interested in Women's Cutting, keen to expand my knowledge of cutting. Yes, this is the 3rd edition, just wanted them both. :)

• Schneiderfrei, Futura and Zephyr like this

#7 ALoni

ALoni

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:28 AM

And they'll be on their way to a new home tomorrow..... My dad would appreciate that....

Thanks all 👍
  • tombennett likes this

#8 Futura

Futura

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:Dressmaking/designing, drafting methods and theory

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

I just can't turn them down, I am interested in Women's Cutting, keen to expand my knowledge of cutting. Yes, this is the 3rd edition, just wanted them both. :)

I know, I prefer the real thing versus online copies myself...! Now I am curious which edition I have of the book... I'll have to check when I resume packing.

#9 Steelmillal

Steelmillal

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

Mr. Bennett I'm very glad you're weaker than I, as no doubt you'll put them both to good use. Curiously, a book by Bertha Moulton, Garment Cutting and Tailoring, first printed 1949, looks amazingly similar to what Futura linked to.

Mr. Loni, thanks for putting them out there and I will raise a proper pint to your Dad this afternoon. Prost!

• tombennett likes this

#10 Measure Man

Measure Man

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:01 AM

These are both good books, J Cutler has varying degrees of drape and uses 1/8ths rather than 1/6ths in his jacket system. I also believe the trouser draft is the basis for the Mansie system??

My version of the F R Morris book is also the 3rd edition and again is very good reading, I have seen quit a few copies selling on ebay  for very little money considering the quality of this book!

So I am sure Tom will be very pleased with his purchase.

#11 Measure Man

Measure Man

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:30 AM

1st edition Morris on UK ebay just now

http://www.ebay.co.u...boAAOSw4YdY0rd7

#12 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:33 AM

Yes really looking forward to getting home to read them.  I have been playing with drape over the last couple of months along with degrees of openness through straightening/crookening the neck point.

• Measure Man and Zephyr like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users