#1 Notes

Notes

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:13 AM

Attached File  LAB Open Day (1).jpg   132.96KB   0 downloads

Just to let everyone know this coming Saturday (between midday and 4pm) in London there is an open day for an amazing tailoring hub/school called The London Academy of Bespoke. I describe it that way because I am currently attending the coat making section of the school and previously attended the pattern drafting one. It is led by teachers that were trained on and work on Savile Row and have a wealth of experience. As someone that is currently on an apprenticeship I’ve found that it complements my learning no end and helps me with my day to day work.  Having said that there are some on the course doing various apprenticeships, others looking for work and some for which it is merely an interest and/or hobby. I think if anyone has the time they should pop down and speak to the team (tried to upload a poster but check the instagram link below for an up to date poster with their address). What I find interesting about this school is that the teachers are really approachable, very open with information, really break down techniques and processes used and have so many future plans for the courses (eg day trips to fabric mills, master classes from different people in the industry covering specific topic such as pockets, sleeves).

https://www.instagra...ademyofbespoke/

https://www.thelondo...yofbespoke.com/

#2 Notes

Notes

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:14 AM

Attached File  LAB Poster.jpg   132.16KB   1 downloads

#3 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Don't know what Darren Beman is like today, and I think he can be an excellent teacher. In the past he took a lot of othe people's money for garments he was supposedly going to make. And last t heard he still owes. If he is paying these people off one by one, good! In the past he had a problem that may have over whelmed him. If he is honest with these classes, he is an excellent teacher.

One other thing, tailoring is not easy to learn. It is not hard, either. But it is a lot of work to get the skills. Therefore, some people don't keep up with the class. He has a short video of hand sewing, a partial lesson. It is wise to learn this before taking his class, because it might take a beginner 3 months to be efficient with this basic movement of stitch.

#4 Notes

Notes

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Sorry Greger there seems to be a misunderstanding. This isn't run by Darren Beaman (or have anything to do with him) and is based in London. I think Mr Beaman is based in Leeds

#5 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

Saw something like this on one of the pages and thought he was connected.

The first two lines here is copy and paste from the website. But, he is saying good luck.

My error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users