Photo

Yellowish cream gabardine, barathea, etc.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

Does anyone have any sources for 12 oz (or more) yellowish cream or light yellow gabardine, barathea, serge, plain weave, hopsack, or other smooth city-suiting-type woollens for dress trousers?

Something like: http://asuitableward...allment-vi.html

Scabal has 13 oz gab in white/gray creams, light beige, and light tan/almost wheat, but I can't tell from their web photos whether any of those fabrics has the yellow undertone of these pants. Has anyone seen them IRL?

John G. Hardy has 12 oz wheat gab, which looks like light tan on the web photo, and cream gab, which looks like standard gray cream. But their photos have a bad reputation for color accuracy. Any experience?

I know Dugdale's 16 oz ivory barathea, but I'm looking for something more towards yellow cream.

Anyone seen anything like this from Hainsworth?

Thanks for any help.

#2 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

William Halstead does a 360g yellow cream barathea, if you don't mind mohair content.

#3 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Excellent, thank you very much, rs. That is an interesting idea. I understand that most of Halstead's mohairs are more matte finish than standard mohair blends. Is that true of this one too?

Edited by Testudo_Aubreii, 09 April 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#4 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I don't really know, since I don't have any substantial experience in mohair. It is slightly shiny, but of probably greater importance is that it is somewhat translucent, so trousers may be a problem now that I think of it. Dugdale does a yellow cream barathea too - it's in one of Sator's Dugdale book reviews.

#5 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

Thanks, rs. Another question, if I may. I just noticed the post you did about your wedding last summer. Your whole ensemble is splendid, and your wife's dress is beautiful. You mention that the dress is 600 g all-wool venetian, made by Pendleton. I was thinking that might be an interesting option for trousers. Did you get the venetian direct from Pendleton, or from some cloth merchant? All I can find on their site is some blanket fabrics. Thanks for any help.

Update: Was it from their Woolen Mill Store?

Edited by Testudo_Aubreii, 13 April 2012 - 12:20 AM.

#6 Lewis Davies

Lewis Davies

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

smith woolens have an amazing one that i use frequently did one today for a fitting very lightweight ill get a cloth number for you tomorrow
there is an amazing cotton bunch from holland and sherry called "so cotton" with some great creams in there as well

#7 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

smith woolens have an amazing one that i use frequently did one today for a fitting very lightweight ill get a cloth number for you tomorrow
there is an amazing cotton bunch from holland and sherry called "so cotton" with some great creams in there as well

Thanks very much, Lewis. Smith's does gabardine/venetian? You can see how ignorant I am. I'd much appreciate any cloth numbers or book recommendations.

#8 Lewis Davies

Lewis Davies

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

smith woollens are overlooked so much
one of the only companies that still hold stock in central london made in england
call them up and ask what your after they might send you samples and will certainly be very helpful

#9 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Sorry, been away busy for a while. I know that your intended trousers are cream and hence have a shorter lifespan anyway, but I find that venetians weaves don't last in trousers. The weave requires the warps to skip too many wefts to be hardy, and it tends to pill at the seat due to the friction of chairs - though this is for day to day wear. If you only wear them occasionally, that's probably fine.

The Pendleton piece was a one-off ebay find that I sourced in a moment of luck after my intended length of cloth arrived from the merchant and turned out to be very different than the quoted specification. Gorgeous stuff, though I still had to fully line everything because it was still translucent in daylight.

#10 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Many thanks again, rs. Good to hear about your experience with venetian: I'd assumed it was one of the hard-wearing weaves, like gabardine or whipcord. I've never handled the stuff myself. I wonder what forum member yachtie's wear-and-tear experience has been with his 700g venetian trousers.

That was a great eBay find that wound up in skilled hands!

#11 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

HE Box in the UK also do a 14oz cream barathea if I recall correctly.

#12 Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

HE Box in the UK also do a 14oz cream barathea if I recall correctly.

Wow, thanks, ladhrann! Any idea if it's more toward cream and yellow than Dugdale's ivory 16 oz barathea?

Edited by Testudo_Aubreii, 12 May 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#13 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Wow, thanks, ladhrann! Any idea if it's more toward cream and yellow than Dugdale's ivory 16 oz barathea?

As far as I recall its towards the cream end of the spectrum.

#14 Nishijin

Nishijin

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • Interests:Mainly tailoring it seems, but my friends know better...

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Holland & Sherry, Force 10 Merino bunch (bunch HS1196)
Gabardine : ref 960013. Maybe not creamy enough, but may be of interest. 9oz only, though
Hopsack ref 960104. A yellow cream, I think quite what you're looking for. 11oz only, though.

Carnet :
Positano bunch, cotton cloth only
ref 7088, cotton gabardine, 13 oz. A yellow sand, may be too dark, but maybe not.
ref 7061, cotton gabardine (or something similar), 240g so lighter than who you're after, but in a nice yellow creamy shade.

Just say so if you want scans.
http://www.paulgrassart.com

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
Mark Twain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users