• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

These images show suggestions of wardrobes for the late 40's, but most of them could be easily worn today.

The coat on the right has a "fake" waistcoat underneath, which is actually part of the jacket. Does add a special touch.

to be continued...
  • Sator likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#2 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

• Sator likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:24 AM

Here is a nice bolero jacket and matching skirt from Jacques Fath-Racine, 1954:

While I love to study dress history and find there is as much to learn from the 1970s as there is from the 1870s, I get a bit nervous at the expression "timeless". Usually, it means that somebody wants to tell you that the style of their personal favourite period is Timeless Style but that everything else is "merely" fashion. Most commonly this happens to a particular well known writer who is obsessed with the drape era of tailoring.

#4 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Well, in my dictionary "timeless" (zeitlos) just means what it says: A basic style that can be worn for many years or even decades.
There might be some modernizations needed (for fashion, if you like), or else it will appear like period dress.
A tailored jacket with a slim cut or pleated skirt or even pants is as much "timeless" as it can get. I'm not obsessed with the style from this particular era, I just find it more interesting for all the variations and details the garments show. You won't find that in today's fashion.

As for that "well known" (really?) writer and his obsession: I'd say it is more like arrogance and ignorance towards other styles and other peoples likes. Going as far as saying that the drape cut is "the one to rule them all" is just silly.

Back to the original subject, although this might be a bit off track. These wedding dresses are sort of timeless, though.

• Sator likes this

#5 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Here is an ensemble that Hanna might want to add to her list:

The gloves might be a bit "too much", though.
  • Sator likes this

#6 Hanna

Hanna

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:47 AM

Here is an ensemble that Hanna might want to add to her list:

The gloves might be a bit "too much", though.

Dear man, you know me too well!

I do actually really like gloves, although only bespoke ones otherwise they just don't fit. I have a pattern from the 1950's for various styles...

#7 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

Dear man, you know me too well!

I do actually really like gloves, although only bespoke ones otherwise they just don't fit. I have a pattern from the 1950's for various styles...

I like gloves, too. They complete the look. It's just that today's people are not used to them.

Posted Image
  • Sator likes this

#8 JMB

JMB

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

Let me add a little something to the replies from Hanna and Schneidergott. It's not just gloves to which women are unused to today, which I suspect interferes with their use of cellphones and
Blackberries, but it's also proper shoes to complement a smart suit or a lovely gown. Whatever happened to the simple black dress, heels of a sensible height, a large-brimmed hat and big dark sunglasses? If your standard rig is geared for the gym, replete with stinky old sneakers, and your iphone is glued to your ear night and day, you're in danger of losing your femininity and attraction to others. More hardbodies we don't need. Dress up now and then and develop your own style.

JMB
  • Sator likes this

#9 Padme

Padme

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:44 AM

Gloves? A big hat? Lots of women have kids. It would be too hard to operate the CD player in the car while driving on the interstate. We'd be constantly pulling them off or you could not have a full view of your world with a big hat. I can understand dark sunglasses, a strong sun screen. The only people who have my cell number is my children and my husband. You will never see me chatting and out in public unless it's the aforementioned.

It's Saturday. I'm watching cartoons with children (recently lost an unborn child), and I'm wearing tartan plaid trousers that I made, a classic cream fine knit long sleeved sweater. Leather flats. No jewlery. Shoulder length hair, brushed. I would not be embarrased to run to the store.
  • Sator and cperry like this

#10 JMB

JMB

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 03:48 AM

Padme:

Wearing a big hat presumes you are walking, not driving. A large lid with a broad brim has two distinct advantages over, say, an artfully tied silk scarf: it protects your head, face and neck from the deleterious effects of sunlight far better than sunblock, which is ineffective against ultraviolet radiation regardless of how many times you smear on a new application. Like so many over-the-counter cosmetic products, it's just an overpriced tube of goo that is targeted at the vanity of women and men alike who want to stave off ageing. A big hat and sunglasses do a better job protecting you. Besides, they attract the curiosity of passersby who wonder who the wearer is and what she is hiding, ie, it's very alluring.

Of course, it you've got a herd of children in the backseat ("Are we there yet?") or tagging along behind you, neither hat nor sunglasses are of much help. It's just the wear and tear of motherhood. Make them listen to your music, not theirs, while fiddling with the CDs in the car. And contemplate the
sweet revenge you'll have later on in life when they're grown and schlepping their own kids around.
Granny and Freedom go hand-in-hand.

JMB
  • Sator and cperry like this

#11 Padme

Padme

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

Yes sir. I don't have a large hat. I'll look around. I know hats are for out of the car, but I am taking your advice. Even when we go into downtown Dallas for an art show, I'm usually better dressed than anyone around me. I already get looks. Our children are not really allowed too much freedom of speech, unless they are dying. I do love it when they are tagging along behind. The music is mine. My husband and I are late bloomers in some areas.
  • cperry likes this

#12 saveira

saveira

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

RE: TIMELESS WARDROBE:

I have spent hours trying to achieve this type of jacket and skirt fitting, sometimes I managed to achieve it, sometimes I don't, so I am still trying. They show slim models but what about the Plus Sizes? believe me, they like to be fitted just like the slim models they see in the magazines. I have recently tried a jacket pattern posted by Sator and I think that this pattern with help me in fitting plus size women just like the pictures above. These jackets and skirts fit all curves and yet look very professional. I will continue to strive towards a perfect fit for every shape and size. Thanks for posting these pictures.

#13 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

Yess, isn't it good to look at these ideal models for inspiration?

#14 Hot needle &

Hot needle &

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Needle skills - embroidery, tailoring, patchwork & quilting - not necessarily in that order.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

Whilst I am enjoying looking at these patterns and feel that no 13 062 will even work on my figure (minus waist feature),
most of the time I look at them and wonder if they would work on me? because I am
a)short,
b)short-waisted (4" between bust point to waist),
c)ample build,
d)my back pattern block resembles a pyramid on the side seam.

I have some wonderful cloth to make up for a jacket, but am so uncertain what would work on my body that I have yet to
touch it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users