4 replies to this topic

#1 NCGTailor

NCGTailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi, I am Peter NI, from NCG Tailor, an online men custom made clothing maker and seller. Just find this excellent forum. 

I have read the Guidelines carefully, but please allow me to explain something first: 

1. English is not my native language, I will try my best to express myself in English, but in case of grammar errors, please correct or forgive me :Cry:

2. By this little post, I am trying to present myself, so I add a link to our website above (NCG Tailor). If this is not allowed, dear moderator please delete that. 

3. In the Guidelines, I read that tailors are allowed to present themselves in Connoisseurs' Corner, that's why I am posting here. If I misunderstood, please move this post to the right place it should be, thanks again. 

And here is my little presentation. 

What we do? 

We make and sell online, men's custom made suits, jackets, waistcoats and pants. 

What we understand?

We think that most online tailors are not real tailors (including us). Asking a customer to take his own measurements, without proper fitting adjusting process, a so called custom made suit can hardly be a real custom suit. What we are try to do or to sell, is not a total replacement of local tailors (and to be honest, it is impossible to replace), but rather an "acceptable solution" for those who can hardly find any good fitting off-the-rack suits. 

What we offer that makes us a little different? 

because we understand the risk of "measurements errors", "bad fittings", we allow our new customers to choose an option called "remake". For example, if a new customer buy a suit from us, and it does not fit, he can choose a remake option $59: Which means, with $59, we will remake a complete new suit for him, same details, just with adjusted measurements. It all about reducing the risks of bad fitting. 

Thanks again. This is my first post here, and again, if I misunderstood and violated some guidelines, please tell me, I will change. 

Edited by NCGTailor, 12 December 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#2 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hi Peter. 

Real tailors have made clothes for people that they never saw, probably for hundreds of years. They didn't have photographs back then, either. Tailors have written about it. A few old books explain a few problems and how they dealt with these problems. Asking the right questions can reduce some problems. The books are more than a hundred years old. They were on the internet. Todays world is very different. In the old days there wasn't mtm. Go back even further there wasn't mass-produced clothing. Some places people lived there weren't any tailors, or they didn't like the local tailors. Sending out for clothes made because traveling was not possible or not worth it. Then, like now, some tailors have great skills and others don't, another reason for sending out to better tailors for clothes.

Some problems a local alterations tailor can fix, and maybe worth using. And be up front about it, or, as part of the program. If you can get information about the changes, that would allow you to update the pattern for that customer.

Some people don't fit into mass-produced clothing no matter what. Some tailors don't know how to make cheaper clothes, or, to busy. MTM maybe not workable. If you are doing a satisfactory job, then you are meeting the needs that some people need. Your work is more guessing, so the boundaries are a bit different than other methods.

Hope you do well. 

Edited by greger, 13 December 2017 - 06:37 AM.

#3 NCGTailor

NCGTailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Hi Peter. 

Real tailors have made clothes for people that they never saw, probably for hundreds of years. They didn't have photographs back then, either. Tailors have written about it. A few old books explain a few problems and how they dealt with these problems. Asking the right questions can reduce some problems. The books are more than a hundred years old. They were on the internet. Todays world is very different. In the old days there wasn't mtm. Go back even further there wasn't mass-produced clothing. Some places people lived there weren't any tailors, or they didn't like the local tailors. Sending out for clothes made because traveling was not possible or not worth it. Then, like now, some tailors have great skills and others don't, another reason for sending out to better tailors for clothes.

Some problems a local alterations tailor can fix, and maybe worth using. And be up front about it, or, as part of the program. If you can get information about the changes, that would allow you to update the pattern for that customer.

Some people don't fit into mass-produced clothing no matter what. Some tailors don't know how to make cheaper clothes, or, to busy. MTM maybe not workable. If you are doing a satisfactory job, then you are meeting the needs that some people need. Your work is more guessing, so the boundaries are a bit different than other methods.

Hope you do well. 

Thanks greger for your reply.

What we are trying to do is like giving a customer (and also give ourselves, too) a second chance. If the first suit does not work, then tell us which measurements are not correct, and we apply the changes, to make a better pattern; maybe still not perfect, but definitely much better than the first one. 

And I am totally agree with the word "guessing", I think too, that's almost all online tailors is doing (except those who can provide a local shop to take measurements for their customers). 

Anyway, happy to be here, and thanks for welcoming. 

Hoping my English will not give your guys headaches :hyper:

#4 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

So you are not "real tailors" who is responsible for making the changes necessary if the first suit does not fit?
How do you know that they are making corrections properly?
  • Schneiderfrei likes this

#5 NCGTailor

NCGTailor

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:49 AM

So you are not "real tailors" who is responsible for making the changes necessary if the first suit does not fit?
How do you know that they are making corrections properly?

Dear Terri, Actually your second question is excellent, that's actually the key. 

Maybe, "real tailor" is a poor choice of words, maybe "not true tailoring service" could be better to describe the online tailors. I mean:

1. Our tailors are good tailors, experienced and skilled. Its just their work are based on the measurements that our customers give us, no way to determine if these measurements are 100% truth-worthy; so like greger said, guessing is a big part of their job. And this creates big risks for the fit of the suits made. 

2. In order to reduce this risk, we allow our customers to choose an option called $59 remake. That means, you receive the package, you try your suit, find anything that bothers you, and tell us, we will update the pattern according to your feedbacks, and make a new one. For example, if the suit received is 2 inches too big at the waist, we will reduce the waist by 2 inches when we make the second suit. 

This method is like giving a student a second chance to pass the same exam:

Like I got a C- for a test, and the professor gives me back my paper, and told me: study tonight, I will give you the exact same test with exact same questions tomorrow. This will not guarantee I can answer every question correctly tomorrow, but the chance of getting a A is pretty big, because all I need is to focus on "what's wrong" and I don't need to re-study all the right answers. 

And to answer your second question which is actually excellent: 

No, we can not know this customer is making every correction properly. But the thing is, after 1 or 2 times of trying, 95% of problems can be detected. There is a pretty big chance that the second suit can be almost perfect. 

Thanks again for replying.  :yes:

Edited by NCGTailor, 14 December 2017 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users