3 replies to this topic

#1 Todd Hudson

Todd Hudson

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

I'm a shirtmaker in the USA. I'm considering ordering shirtings from Acorn in England but I'm not sure what kind of customs issues/charges I'll have to deal with. Does anyone have experience ordering cotton or cotton-blend shirtings direct from England? How about from Italy? Right now I'm ordering all my shirtings and worsteds through suppliers with US reps.

#2 JWaneck

JWaneck

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:08 AM

I have dealt with Acorn in the past and they were very pleasant to deal with and the price they quoted me in U.S. currency already included shipping cost. They had two shirting lines to choose from; one at 90' cm and one at 150' cm.

I was very pleased with the fabric.

#3 Zane

Zane

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:classic tailoring, tie making, pattern drafting theory

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:45 AM

Todd,

I think the general rule of thumb for importing to the states is that shipments valued under around $500 USD are not subject to duties etc. Some countries of origin charge Value Added Tax, though that is generally not a problem when importing from European Union Countries.
Please deal with reputable shippers that declare inbound shipments properly. Mis-labeling and intentional fraud are simply something you don't want to get caught up in. Make it clear to the shipper that you need to documentation to be accurate and match invoicing, payment arrangements etc.
Most inbounds from companies such as Dugdale and Acorn are FedEx or UPS. Those freight carriers have their own customs borkerage departments so it is unnecessary for you to post customs bonds or handle dock holdings or inspections. I know from experience that FedEx inbound shipments are held under a continuous bond and items usually go through a facility in TN before they are routed to you.
Since Acorn quotes at a price per meter delivered, try to take delivery of cut goods in a per project basis so any individual shipment will have a rather low value. If you have any specific questions, please advise and I will do my best to answer or help you find the answer.

Zane
  • Kimberly likes this
“My father used to say, 'Let them see you and not the suit. That should be secondary.'” -Cary Grant

#4 Todd Hudson

Todd Hudson

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:57 AM

Thank you for info Zane!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users