25 replies to this topic

#19 SPOOKIETOO

SPOOKIETOO

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:19 AM

I haven't seen any evidence of Hillary wearing anything bespoke during the entire campaign. Her clothing tends to fit her rather dreadfully - often drawing attention from what she is saying. Apparently "we Americans" are stupid enough to believe she always shops at the mall - just like a "regular person. I think if she'd put one or two bespoke makers to work it would 1) - employ a few people in this country that could use the work and 2) improve the fit of her clothing to the point that it would be less of a distraction......but apparently I'm supposed to be too stupid to realize she's "dressing down" for effect.

I looked up multiple photos of those shown above, I think its misleading to base opinions on one or two photos - with arms raised.

Ms. Thatcher's grey jacket screamed 1980's to me in that photo - the hair even looks it. For all we know, she may have needed to look a bit "on trend" at that moment for some reason. Politics is afterall a form of show business - funded with our tax dollars.

#20 posaune

posaune

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

I think, if I were in this position as these ladies I'd have not much time to spend thinking of my garments and how I'm looking.
Besides every one knows how difficult it is to stand besides yourself and judge how other see you.
And if your are in the papers with every move you do.........
I would choose a good advicer for this. That maybe (depending on my figur) a good sales person
(with an excellent alteration service) or a tailor.
But this means to give away a part of control. Difficult for one who is used to power.
See Angela Merkel. Her outfit is custom made. But you can discuss a bit about taste. For me it is a bit boring.
But she does nothing wrong.
And don't forget maybe politician should have 3 outfits because of their life styles - small - medium - large.

lg
posaune

Besides this discussion ist mostly about Ladies!
  • tailleuse likes this

#21 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

What do we make of it?  That in tailored clothing they see a way to look pulled together and project authority. I particularly hate the looks of the 1930s when men of all ages wore sharp, structured suits, while women wore soft dresses, that with more mature ladies revealed squishy flesh and made them look pathetic.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#22 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:43 PM

I think, if I were in this position as these ladies I'd have not much time to spend thinking of my garments and how I'm looking.
Besides every one knows how difficult it is to stand besides yourself and judge how other see you.
And if your are in the papers with every move you do.........

As long as it's appropriate (and I have a broad definition of "appropriate"), I don't care how politicians of either gender dress.  I even give them points for looking rumpled or frumpy if they seem dedicated to their job.

Edited by tailleuse, 11 August 2016 - 11:43 PM.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#23 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:17 PM

What do we make of it?  That in tailored clothing they see a way to look pulled together and project authority. I particularly hate the looks of the 1930s when men of all ages wore sharp, structured suits, while women wore soft dresses, that with more mature ladies revealed squishy flesh and made them look pathetic.

The structured suit with a skirt was quite widely worn in the 1930s. The thing about the 30s was that the silhouette ideal was long and sleek and that's going to challenge anyone not conforming to it, young or old.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#24 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:32 PM

Thatcher bought nearly all of her wardrobe from Aquascutum because she wanted to support British retailers (though was happy to destroy other parts of British industry). Then there was this suit in tweed boucle made by Francois Neckar Couture (a British fashion house despite the name) which she wore for the visit of Gorbachev:

d5968322a.jpg

It has a bit of a sloane ranger look to the skirt, but I rather like it. 

Edited by Henry Hall, 12 August 2016 - 07:33 PM.

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

#25 greger

greger

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:59 AM

Maybe Thatcher was interested in cutting out dead wood.

So many people claim to believe in macro-evolution, but they don't really believe in survival of the fittest.

#26 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:47 AM

Maybe Thatcher was interested in cutting out dead wood.

So many people claim to believe in macro-evolution, but they don't really believe in survival of the fittest.

"Survival of the fittest" is a concept for the natural world, not artificial societies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users