22 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

This is easily my favourite book from the entire Dugdale range. This is also the oldest of the established cloth ranges, and represents both the spirit of the company and even the essence of Huddersfield itself.

This cloth range has a reputation for being solidly woven. The designs are typically classical, and that means that there will be stiff competition from other rivals. However, I would urge any tailor who feels they have enough books in stock to take a look at this range. The reason is that even with simple designs, the colours stand out with crystal clarity. The silver pin stripe on a navy ground, looks more silvery rather than a vague light grey. Just that little extra bit of crispness goes a long way, and makes this range stand out from the crowd.

Rather than going on, I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Of course, there are many more cloths in the book, as I have only picked a few that show off the range to good effect. All the classic are there - the pinstripes in different widths, the solid designs, the pick-and-picks etc.

First, my favourite in the whole book, with fancy silver stripes on a charcoal background. I don't feel the picture does it full justice, as the fancy silver stripes really do have that glowing brilliance of freshly polished sterling silver to them.

The same in navy:

More stripes:

Here are a couple of interesting chalk stripes, with the characterful "fuzzy" stripe going through them:

A couple of Glenurquhart checks. The brown designs is in lovely mellow tones of brown.

A couple of puppy tooth designs:

A pick-and-pick with a strong two-tone "salt-and-pepper" design:

The hand of the cloths is soft, with a nice smooth finish and decent body. About two thirds of the cloths are 13/14 Oz with the rest being 14 Oz weight.

#2 Gruto

Gruto

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

I've just received the book for my tailor. Why haven't I heard about Dugdal before? The book is fabulous. I will order a suit in 9468 or 9465.
--
The Journal of Style

#3 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:47 AM

Yes, it's good stuff isn't it?

The reason there is little brand recognition is simply because it is a smaller family owned independent merchant. They are only now starting to move into the international market. They can't afford the marketing budgets of some of the large international players, which is part of the reason their prices are so good. In fact, it puts a lot of more recognised names to shame really.

#4 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

Got my length of 9431 from the English classics book today. Really nice cloth. It is a midnight blue with a very subtle sky blue pinstripe, which vanishes in 1m distance. Nice body, will be great to work with, I think, it's a bit heavier than most of the fabrics I have to deal with at work.
If you are looking for a solid cloth you'll find it in this book... Not to mention the reasonable prices, great contact and the speedy service.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#5 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

This is from the English & Town Classics book, having been worn a few times, travelled in and stuffed in a suitcase without being repressed.

Posted Image

#6 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:24 AM

Wow, for there being no tailors in Canada, you sure can piece together a coat with some credibility.

Besides the talent, the fabric looks wonderful, how was it to make up?
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#7 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Jason

It handles like the P&B Universal but does not ravel like the P&B does so is better for buttonholes. The P&B is a bit more fluid and perhaps a bit more forgiving, but then again, light colours show every last little shadow and impression so maybe it's a function of the colours. Obviously, it holds a shape pretty well despite some abuse. Definitely a lot of bang for the buck.

I'm about to cut 9465 and 9468 (alas, nether for me) which have a slightly firmer hand- I'll post my impressions as I get there.....

#8 hymo

hymo

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

This is from the English & Town Classics book, having been worn a few times, travelled in and stuffed in a suitcase without being repressed.

Posted Image

9433, I presume?

#9 jefferyd

jefferyd

Guru

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

9433, I presume?

#10 Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

I ordered a two-piece Double Breasted in ref. 9418 (blue with cable stripe) from Meyer & Mortimer only week before last.
Frog in Suit
Frog in Suit

#11 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

9418 looks like a good, classical choice. I look forward to seeing the results.

For those of you who are curious as to what it looks like here it is, along with a few more from the book:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Eventually, I hope to have images of the whole book available for you to peruse through.

#12 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:17 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

In case you can't see it clearly, 9408 is a dark (almost midnight) navy herringbone weave with a repeat of about 7mm. The difference between 9403 and 9504 lies in that 9404 is a shade darker in colour. The former is dark grey and the latter, charcoal grey.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

9418 looks like a good, classical choice. I look forward to seeing the results.

For those of you who are curious as to what it looks like here it is, along with a few more from the book:

Posted Image

Sator, you are quick! No longer do I post the reference than you come up with the picture Posted Image ! I was a bit worried that it might be too bold, because I chose it partly as a reaction against a previous suit, which turned out blander than anticipated.

Frog in Suit

#15 Frog in Suit

Frog in Suit

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

Sator, you are quick! No longer do I post the reference than you come up with the picture Posted Image ! I was a bit worried that it might be too bold, because I chose it partly as a reaction against a previous suit, which turned out blander than anticipated.

I should add that I was ably guided in my choice by Messrs Lewis and Jones of Meyer & Mortimer who humoured me in my time of indecision. Also, the lining will be bright red.
Frog in Suit

#16 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

I was a bit worried that it might be too bold, because I chose it partly as a reaction against a previous suit, which turned out blander than anticipated.

I think it will look good when made up, and not excessively bold at all. It was a good classical design to run with. I like the crispness of the stripes.

#17 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image