#1 Lewis Davies

Lewis Davies

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

the supplier i used to use has gone out of business
i wondered if there was another in the uk that people used that was of equal quality?

#2 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:45 AM

I use the stuff on e bay, but i think its parcel paper. The 90grm X 900mm wide will suffice 25 for 100 Metre roll. depends what you are used to.

#3 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

here in the usa there are high volume grocers walmart for instance. they receive shipments of sacks of sugar,flower, and such on pallets. the pallet loads of sacks are stabilized with large sheets of extra heavy paper between layers of sacks. these square sheets about 4 feet on a side are heavy enough to be used even for block patterns repeated use. you must get there late at night or very early in the morning when the shelves are being filled. the store will gladly give them to you. but if you are not there at the time to catch them, that valuable paper stock will be thrown in the trash, they cannot save them for you.

leonard adler & co.
3918 w. montrose ave.
chicago ill.
1-773-442-8700
i bought a roll of some very good heavy pattern paper from them. ninety pounds for $50.
used it for my ten students. on finishing the course gave each of them about ten yards of paper.
i still have left,what looks a life time supply. that was a bargain.

Edited by A TAILOR, 09 March 2011 - 07:13 AM.

• Linda likes this

#4 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:45 AM

Just curious: What are the advantages of using brown paper over white paper of a heavier weight?

FYI, in German it's called "Natronpapier". Being reinforced, it sometimes has a sort of "pinstripe" appearance.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#5 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:26 AM

We've been getting our paper from this company
You can buy different weights and widths of paper. The paper we currently have is a bit rough in texture for my liking, but it is less expensive which is why they buy it.
Brown or white? I guess the brown has been through less processing and maybe is less of an environmental issue perhaps.
These papers are not the same as pattern making papers used in the fashion biz, andneither is it oaktag, which is a much heavier weight for patterns that are used over and over like a block.
Just plain brown paper that can be used or thrown away after you are finished with it.

Edited by Terri, 09 March 2011 - 09:27 AM.

#6 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

I bought brown paper cause it was cheaper. But it was a mistake. You see the pencil draft better on white paper.
I have to use the brown paper until I die now or if I make money I buy a white paper roll an leave the brown paper alone.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#7 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

If I'm not mistaken, brown paper is slightly more environment friendly to produce. At least feel good about that.
Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#8 A TAILOR

A TAILOR

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just curious: What are the advantages of using brown paper over white paper of a heavier weight?

FYI, in German it's called "Natronpapier". Being reinforced, it sometimes has a sort of "pinstripe" appearance.

its heavier weight.

#9 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, brown paper is slightly more environment friendly to produce. At least feel good about that.

Actually, I'm quite pleased with my chlorine bleached white paper, made of rare rainforest trees. :thumbsup:
  • Jacob likes this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

#10 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

its heavier weight.

I have a roll of nice, white paper. Weight must be around 120 gr. per meter.
But I did find "Teerpapier". The description say it's water proof and highly resistant, meant for packing goods shipped overseas.

#11 J. Maclochlainn

J. Maclochlainn

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Brown, white, yellow... can't we all just get along? :spiteful:

Edited by J. Maclochlainn, 09 March 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Silly Cognoscenti, Drape is for windows!

#12 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

here in the usa there are high volume grocers walmart for instance. they receive shipments of sacks of sugar,flower, and such on pallets. the pallet loads of sacks are stabilized with large sheets of extra heavy paper between layers of sacks. these square sheets about 4 feet on a side are heavy enough to be used even for block patterns repeated use. you must get there late at night or very early in the morning when the shelves are being filled. the store will gladly give them to you. but if you are not there at the time to catch them, that valuable paper stock will be thrown in the trash, they cannot save them for you.

leonard adler & co.
3918 w. montrose ave.
chicago ill.
1-773-442-8700
i bought a roll of some very good heavy pattern paper from them. ninety pounds for $50.
used it for my ten students. on finishing the course gave each of them about ten yards of paper.
i still have left,what looks a life time supply. that was a bargain.

You dont know how lucky you are! When I made my first set of patterns, they were made out of old cardboard box's. One waistcoat back was cut from part of a hinged lid! I have still got it, it still hinges back and forth.
  • tailleuse likes this

#13 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:57 AM

I am also looking for some card in the UK to cut block patterns with, any idea,s.

#14 jcsprowls

jcsprowls

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

.020 HDPE plastic is cheaper than oaktag - try the yellow pages for industrial suppliers. I buy it by the sheet, min. 5 48" X 96" sheets - about $9 USD/sht
  • tailleuse likes this

Dir, Product Development

web: http://www.studio9apparel.com
portfolio: http://www.behance.net/studio9apparel

#15 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

In Germany: http://www.junghans-...sch/1244938.htm

#16 MANSIE WAUCH

MANSIE WAUCH

Pro

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

I am also looking for some card in the UK to cut block patterns with, any idea,s.

Are Staples still going, or Franks of London? They used to supply pattern card.

#17 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:31 AM

I will figure that out in Wal-Mart here, if I can get those white card boards.

In Houston, Texas Art Supply, you can get nice 50 yards rolls of white and heavy paper for 70$. The Brown Paper roll 50yard was 50$.
I should have bought the white paper nice and heavy and luxurious.
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#18 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

Here's another link for pattern paper and supplies, you can usually find a supplier of papers most places that have a fashion business or school.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users