115 replies to this topic

#19 Che Pasticcio

Che Pasticcio

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

The people I was talking about were discussing Bernina home models, not semi-industrials. People I know who are unimpressed by Berninas say the company is superior at marketing. I can't get over how much more expensive Bernina home sewing machine feet are compared with those for industrials.

I live in New York and have access to a shop that makes buttonholes for a reasonable price. Sample makers for places like Marc Jacobs take their stuff there. Unless I have an emergency, I'm going to continue having my buttonholes done there. I have neither the space nor the money for a professional buttonholer. I also trust the judgment of the operators. They do nothing else all day but create buttonholes.

How much do they charge?

#20 rs232

rs232

Journeyman

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

$1 per keyhole, I believe - a flat rate despite the first costing the most time for selecting matching thread and threading the machine.

Edited by rs232, 15 July 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#21 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

How much do they charge?

I don't remember. It was under $10.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#22 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

$1 per keyhole, I believe - a flat rate despite the first costing the most time for selecting matching thread and threading the machine.

That sounds right. I had keyhole buttonholes done on a jacket a couple of years ago.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#23 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

I have a singer 96k that I bought for less than €50. I got a singer 81k overlock for €10. Good deals are abound if you keep an eye out on the second hand market. I live in europe and have exchanged the three phase clutch motors for servos from college sewing machine parts. Can't recommend that company enough. They're inexpensive, insightful and very service minded, plus they stock parts and attachements for everything!

I added a japanese buttonhole attachment for industrials for shirts. It was very inexpensive too, and i can't fault it. Not close to a real buttonhole machine, but I have no room for another machine.

#24 OJD

OJD

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

Oh, forgot, the 96k class handles most fabrics well. Sewn garment leather and heavy cordura, wool, thin italian shirting cotton and never had a problem.

#25 Che Pasticcio

Che Pasticcio

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

I don't remember. It was under $10.

Uff, really late in replying. I'd like to be more present but have been busy lately. Do you have their number? I'm considering having some shirt buttonholes done.

Thanks, C

#26 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have the opportunity to buy an old Singer 20U (here is a picture http://www.leboncoin...049.htm?ca=26_s) and I plan to go try it next week-end. What should I pay attention to when testing it ?

From this thread it seems that Singer (especially zig-zag) is not the best choice but there are very few industrial machine to sell on Reunion Island and shipment from Europe is probably too expensive although there are a lot of rather cheap second hand machines to buy in France. BTW could someone tell me how heavy might an industrial machine be and what could be its dimensions ?

#27 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

I have the opportunity to buy an old Singer 20U (here is a picture http://www.leboncoin...049.htm?ca=26_s) and I plan to go try it next week-end. What should I pay attention to when testing it ?

From this thread it seems that Singer (especially zig-zag) is not the best choice but there are very few industrial machine to sell on Reunion Island and shipment from Europe is probably too expensive although there are a lot of rather cheap second hand machines to buy in France. BTW could someone tell me how heavy might an industrial machine be and what could be its dimensions ?

The dimensions of a typical industrial machine (head only) are about 50 cm long, 20 cm wide and 30 cm high. A stand is about 60 to 70 cm high and has a plate with sizes about 80 x 50 cm. So you are right, shipping will be very expensive. The original Singer isn't such a bad machine, if well maintained and set. Just make sure to have the right bobbin case and stitch plate (matching the biggest width of the zig-zag stitch) and one plate for straight stitches (finer fabrics).

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#28 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thanks SG (and Nish by PM). You're right it'll be expensive. It's heavy (expensive by flight) and takes place even taken apart(expensive by boat).

I'm just trying to sew a shirt but my little plastic singer is hard to handle for nice edge stitching. (I work with a basic presser foot...). I hope getting an industrial machine (and the adapted presser feet) will make the difference. BTW, do someone know if this Singer 20U machine can accommodate classical high shank feet ? Any good experience to share about an Internet feet seller ?

Oh and if I may insist, what should I check when trying it ?

Edited by gramountoto, 23 October 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#29 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Just the usual: Vibrations when sewing at higher speed (indicates a worn out machine), stitch quality at different lengths and on different materials. Use the same thread type, but in different colours, both in contrast to the fabric you use for testing.

The transport (bottom feeder) will be similar to that of your plastic Singer, so you might want to try edge stitching as well.

By direct comparison, a Pfaff 130 is better that the Singer 20U (I know both machines), and smaller, too. You can attach a normal motor to it (like that one built into your household machine) or you can put the machine into a self-made stand and use an industrial motor.

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#30 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Thanks SG (and Nish by PM). You're right it'll be expensive. It's heavy (expensive by flight) and takes place even taken apart(expensive by boat).

I'm just trying to sew a shirt but my little plastic singer is hard to handle for nice edge stitching. (I work with a basic presser foot...). I hope getting an industrial machine (and the adapted presser feet) will make the difference. BTW, do someone know if this Singer 20U machine can accommodate classical high shank feet ? Any good experience to share about an Internet feet seller ?

If you want to do edge stitching with a straight-stitch machine could you not get an old all-metal Singer domestic machine? Like a 201K or something like that? That would be a lot more durable than a modern plastic machine but a lot cheaper as there are a lot of them around. You might be able to get one from France cheaply enough as well though they are heavy c.12kg.

#31 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

If you want to do edge stitching with a straight-stitch machine could you not get an old all-metal Singer domestic machine? Like a 201K or something like that? That would be a lot more durable than a modern plastic machine but a lot cheaper as there are a lot of them around. You might be able to get one from France cheaply enough as well though they are heavy c.12kg.

thanks Ladhrann

Buying locally has several advantages: I can see and test before buying and it won't take weeks to reach Reunion Island, plus I won't have to pay local VAT and other taxes (even for used material, yes). I first thought I would do as recommended in this thread : buy a professional straight stitch machine and still use my plastic Singer for serging etc.
But with this zig-zag Singer 20U I can do both and resell my little machine to help me invest in the pro one.
There is around one second hand pro machine to sell per month here (mostly recent ones for 600-1000euros). This is a good occasion that I might wait for during months if I miss it (sorry for my horrible English.)

Edited by gramountoto, 25 October 2012 - 09:26 PM.

#32 ladhrann

ladhrann

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

No problem Gramountoto, one thing you could do as well is try out different models in Reunion and find them in France a bit cheaper. If you have the time, if not, vaut pas le peine!

#33 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to bother you all again with my machine questions.

The Singer 20U really wasn't worth the price and I have to face the facts: I have to buy a machine in France (someone can do it for me) and manage to make it delivered in pieces (table, motor, head).
Several people are about to come and visit me from France in the next months and each could bring a 20-30kg piece. Plus a 30 kg parcel is around 60euros by boat. I'm not on a hurry and machines are so much cheaper and choice bigger in Europe that it will be anyway a better deal...

I have seen three straight stitch machines that one could buy for me (200-250 euros):
Singer 196K
Pfaff 234 (built like a panzer, weights probably a ton)
Julki DDL 5530

Does anyone have anything to say about these machines ?

I've also seen this Pfaff zig zag:
http://www.leboncoin...297.htm?ca=22_s

The seller is unable to tell me what the model is (she read "type 200" but I couldn't find anything on the internet)

Do you know this machine ?

#34 Felix

Felix

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

The Pfaff zig-zag is a 260. In my opinion it's overpriced. It is a household sewing machine, frequently sold as an industrial or semi-industrial sewing machine. I've seen them in alteration ateliers mounted on tables like the one you are referring to.

The Pfaff 234 uses special feet with a very high shank, only very few special feet.
Do you mean this one? http://www.leboncoin...315.htm?ca=22_s Then it seems to have normal industrial feet.

What about this Pfaff 138: http://www.leboncoin...820.htm?ca=22_s
Maybee too expensive. These where originaly made for men's tailors. Same thing with the feet as the Pfaff 234. I have a treadle version, I really like it.

Or this, if it should be in the Rhône-Region, a Singer 591: http://cgi.ebay.fr/m...=item27cc763347
It has an electronic stop motor, motor running constantly with electronically controlled clutch. Big improvement over a normal clutch motor.

If you don't need zig-zag the Singer 591 might be the best deal.

Edited by Felix, 06 November 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#35 gramountoto

gramountoto

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Thank you Felix !

The Pfaff 234 uses special feet with a very high shank, only very few special feet.
Do you mean this one? http://www.leboncoin...315.htm?ca=22_s Then it seems to have normal industrial feet.

Indeed.
The two other machines are
http://www.leboncoin...769.htm?ca=22_s
with quite a lot of accessories (tons of spools, feet)

and
http://www.leboncoin...638.htm?ca=22_s

What about this Pfaff 138: http://www.leboncoin...820.htm?ca=22_s
Maybee too expensive. These where originaly made for men's tailors. Same thing with the feet as the Pfaff 234. I have a treadle version, I really like it.

Yes, you're right, too expensive for me I'm looking for 250 euros max.

Or this, if it should be in the Rhône-Region, a Singer 591: http://cgi.ebay.fr/m...=item27cc763347
It has an electronic stop motor, motor running constantly with electronically controlled clutch. Big improvement over a normal clutch motor.

If you don't need zig-zag the Singer 591 might be the best deal.

This one runs with 380V. This means my dad who lives in Lyon's vicinity won't be able to test it (the seller most probably doesn't have 380V as he/she wrote he/she never used this machine) plus I'll have to make the motor be modified and this is extra cost.

Do you know the two other machines I selected ? (I'd rather go for the Singer as it is perhaps easier to find spare parts)

#36 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

From the photos the Singer looks like it is in much better condition and better cared for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users