#1 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:03 AM

A question was raised in a forum to which I do not have access.

I've used this product in white.  As I recall, it worked well, but I used it only on the wrong side of the fabric or on a cutting line on the right side.  As always, a test should be conducted before using it on the garment.  

I do NOT recommend using this product in any color other than white on the face side or on any place that will not be covered by stitching or a cut.  I used a color on the right side and it did not come out.* Technically, the brand was "Allary", but I've seen this cartridge set sold under different names.

*I had to mark a decorative stitch on the front and thought I'd get confused if I used the white chalk there.  Never again.

Edited by tailleuse, 29 November 2015 - 05:20 AM.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#2 Nula

Nula

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

Thanks so much!  I was hoping technology was going to overtake sharpening chalk blocks every five minutes.  It's so messy and time consuming to keep the chalks sharp.  I'll give the pencil a try and see. 

• tailleuse likes this

#3 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Thanks so much!  I was hoping technology was going to overtake sharpening chalk blocks every five minutes.  It's so messy and time consuming to keep the chalks sharp.  I'll give the pencil a try and see. 

Nula,

You're very welcome.  How do you sharpen your chalk, with a knife or razor blade?  I like chalk for some purposes, but always suspect I haven't sharpened it enough.

#4 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

I use the back of a knife and try for about 45 degrees in total.  I wouldn't mind a better gadget like the ideas occasionally discussed in the forum.

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#5 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

For my two pennies worth, I use my paper scissors.  I keep them next to me on the board, a bit of sharpening gives me a second to step back and consider my work.  For me it is like cooking, whenever I'm in the kitchen my steel is on the counter next to me so I can keep my knives sharp, it just takes a couple of sweeps of the blade upon the diamond surface to keep the blades razor sharp.  If I leave them untilI I've washed up at the end it takes me longer to sharpen them, the same with chalk.  A couple of quick passes on the scissors whilst thinking keeps the edge sharp, taking out the chore of sharpening pieces of chalk.

• tailleuse and Henry Hall like this

#6 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:35 AM

I use scissors too. They're actually a pair of cheap things that don't cut cloth, but for paper and chalk they work fine.

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#7 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Paper scissors as well.
  • tailleuse likes this

#8 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

For my two pennies worth, I use my paper scissors.  I keep them next to me on the board, a bit of sharpening gives me a second to step back and consider my work.  For me it is like cooking, whenever I'm in the kitchen my steel is on the counter next to me so I can keep my knives sharp, it just takes a couple of sweeps of the blade upon the diamond surface to keep the blades razor sharp.  If I leave them untilI I've washed up at the end it takes me longer to sharpen them, the same with chalk.  A couple of quick passes on the scissors whilst thinking keeps the edge sharp, taking out the chore of sharpening pieces of chalk.

Do you use your main paper scissors? I'd be concerned about getting chalk stuck in the blades.

#9 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring (especially from the 1960s), Photography, DJing, House-Music, Northern Soul and, Life.

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

Any bits of chalk will fall away with a quick tap.  I use the edge of the blade and not the V, sorry about the appalling quality of this video I did it really quickly while doing some marking out.

I must do some proper videos.  :Thinking:

Edited by tombennett, 03 December 2015 - 04:18 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

#10 Henry Hall

Henry Hall

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:55 AM

I notice on your video that you move the chalk and keep the scissors stationary, whereas I do the opposite. Vive la différence.

Edited by Henry Hall, 03 December 2015 - 02:56 AM.

• tailleuse likes this

Each phenomenon which is taken up should be treated with as much thoroughness as possible at that standpoint... One thing at a time and that done well!

- Otto Jespersen (How to Teach a Foreign Language).

#11 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:15 AM

Any bits of chalk will fall away with a quick tap.  I use the edge of the blade and not the V, sorry about the appalling quality of this video I did it really quickly while doing some marking out.

Thanks.  :)

• tombennett likes this

#12 tombennett

tombennett

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 04:19 AM

I do, all depends on my mood, size of chalk and, whether I am filming it.  :thumbsup:  I get more control that way.

• tailleuse likes this

#13 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

I use scissors too. They're actually a pair of cheap things that don't cut cloth, but for paper and chalk they work fine.

Paper scissors as well.

I tried sharpening my Clover chalk with my paper scissors the other day and it worked well.  The chalk didn't  stick to the blades the way I feared.  I knocked them against the waste paper basket a few times to shake off the dust.

Thank you.

• Schneiderfrei likes this

#14 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

Nula,

You might want to order a chalk dressmaker's pencil from Bias Bespoke. I tried it yesterday. The brand is Signet.  It's apparently German or marketed to Germans because in addition to English it says "Schneider Kreider", tailor's chalk.

It is far creamier and "chalkier" and moves over fabric more smoothly than other dressmaker's pencils I've used in the past, which have been rather hard and failed to warm up, I think they contained a wax binder.  It can be sharpened to a fairly fine point, but nowhere near as fine as the chalk mechanical pencils like the Bohin, which are great on the right surface, but can be brittle.

I haven't tried to remove it from fabric and typically, have already lost the little brush that fits on the tip.  (One day.  That's not even a record.)  It does look as if it would sponge off without a problem.

Here's a photo of a pattern piece traced with the pencil:

Attached File  Cropped Traced Pattern copy.jpg   177.58KB   0 downloads

Edited by tailleuse, 15 December 2015 - 02:25 AM.

#15 Schneiderfrei

Schneiderfrei

Pro

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Interests:learning and imagination

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:45 AM

I like the scissor V method, having recently tried it after reading the posts above.

• tailleuse likes this

Shell made out of gold
Found on a beach picked up and you held so close

#16 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

I use the back of a knife and try for about 45 degrees in total.  I wouldn't mind a better gadget like the ideas occasionally discussed in the forum.

I bought a plastic chalk sharpener but mislaid it. I thought it worked pretty well, but I've read a lot of criticism of them.

#17 Nula

Nula

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

I sharpen my chalk on spare scissors too.  I think I'll give the mechanical pencil version a whirl and see how it goes, though I suspect it isn't going to mark my tweeds very well!

• tailleuse, Schneiderfrei and tombennett like this

#18 Nula

Nula

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the photo Tailleuse!  That looks pretty good.

• tailleuse likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users