36 replies to this topic

#1 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

For the tailors here, I'm planning on commissioning this in a 13 oz (or so) woollen flannel from Fox Bros:

the minimum run is 35 meters and I'm keeping about 10. I'm offering the rest at cost (45 pounds Sterling/meter plus shipping). I'll need prepaid subscriptions to cover the cloth cost before the run. If anyone would like to stock a length of this please contact me here.
Best,
Y

#2 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

This is a great idea, Yachtie. Fox, BTW in case you didn't know, is a maker of superb flannel, and it doesn't come better than this. The cloth should tailor very well. This one would make a nice ladies suit as well. The best thing is that if we all chip in for a group order, it is much cheaper as there isn't the usual merchant mark-up - you buy directly from the mill and cut out the middle man. When the order is complete you can just fax your credit details to the mill and arrange shipping directly to you.

So, do consider joining in on projects like this. I doubt you will be disappointed, whether you are a tailor, home sewer, or a bespoke tailoring customer looking for something special. The mill will usually provide a pre-production sample, which will be sent to whoever started the project, and a photo of this will be shown. You will get to provide feedback and input into the design as well.

I would certainly encourage people to use the list of contacts to mills in this forum to start similar projects. If you have an idea for a special cloth design that you just can't find anywhere, this could be your chance.

Other mills that take orders (with varying mininum orders) for bespoke cloth include Mill Lovat in Scotland, who make nice fresco type cloth as well as tweeds. Does anyone know of other mills that accept orders?

#3 Hanna

Hanna

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:22 AM

Butt of Lewis take orders - they're currently running me up a sample of a tweed I have requested. I'll post details once I've got them.

#4 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:36 AM

I'd be keen on that. Fox isn't set up for credit card orders but they do take wires. When all 35 meters are subscribed, that's it. I've talked to Moxon for another project but they only do full bolts on special order (65 meters).

#5 le.gentleman

le.gentleman

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (Hanna @ Jun 23 2009, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Butt of Lewis take orders - they're currently running me up a sample of a tweed I have requested. I'll post details once I've got them.

Hanna, I'd be interested in details - thanks for sharing in advance!

#6 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

BTW, for the ladies here, I think Yachtie's cloth design would look great on a suit like this:

If interested, add your reply here so we can all see if there is enough interest to fulfill the minimum order requirements.

#7 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

BTW Yachtie tells me that the cloth design is a striking crimson on grey. I thought it was a brown on grey, but I like the thought of a crimson chalk stripe a lot better. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

#8 Hanna

Hanna

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

The idea of crimson on charcoal grey is very appealing. I just can't get my head around the idea of wide chalkstripe (or any stripe) on a skirt suit. However, I've got a pattern at home similar to the one posted above - closer to the Dior New Look style though - so will have a look tonight and may reconsider.

I think I just have a hang up with stripes and skirts!

#9 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:17 AM

This seems pretty elegant:

I could actually picture it in crimson chalk stripes now.

#10 Hanna

Hanna

Apprentice

• Professional
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

It depends on how wide apart the stripes are. If they're like the picture above, about 1cm, then yes, it would look stunning. If it's more 1", I'm not sure sure.

Yachtie?

#11 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

Best look with a chalkstripe would be about 11/16 between the stripes with a 3/32 stripe size. 1cm would show no ground color at all (or it'd look like a Moire pattern). 1" would be too bold a spacing for this color combination.

#12 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:24 AM

About half subscribed- please consider ordering a length smile.gif

#13 culverwood

culverwood

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

Is this the colour of crimson?

#14 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

That's a good question isn't it. Colour can be rather subjective. This is what Wikipedia came up with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson

The other question is how such shades would look on a woollen cloth.

#15 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (culverwood @ Jul 7 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this the colour of crimson?

Think much darker red. Not so bold. The pic gives a pretty good level of contrast. Fox is doing a "crimson" on grey check for Alden on LL that's closer (but not as purpleish as his).

#16 culverwood

culverwood

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:42 AM

How many metres does one need for a double breasted suit? I have always bought through my tailor till now but I suspect such a cloth is not available elsewhere or you would not have commissioned it.

#17 yachtie

yachtie

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (culverwood @ Jul 7 2009, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many metres does one need for a double breasted suit? I have always bought through my tailor till now but I suspect such a cloth is not available elsewhere or you would not have commissioned it.

You're correct, it's completely unavailable. For me I need 4.5 meters for a 2 pc. DB. (I'm a US 48 in RTW)

#18 Naive Jr

Naive Jr

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:32 PM

Regarding Mr Culverwood's square of "crimson" above and in reply to his question: No, I don't think so - and if you compare it to the Wikipedia crimson, you can see a difference.
Scribimus indocti doctique poemata passim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users