39 replies to this topic

#1 Sator

Sator

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,998 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

I am sure others will add to the list. However, here are a few things to get the discussion started.

1. Never ask your sleeves or trouser hems to be shortened or lengthened by 1-2 mm. Even 3-4 mm is pushing the friendship. These amounts are not significant, and if you shift or move a little, it will change. If you noticed a difference after your tailor cringed and agreed to do it for you, it is probably imaginary.

2. Totally change your mind about the design you ordered at the first fitting. Then completely change your mind again at the second fitting. There are things you can change at the first fitting though eg lapel design can be finalised, coat lengthened or shortened, waist suppression added or removed. The more you progress along, the harder it gets to change things. Would you tell your builder to change the design of your house after it is half way done so things have to be undone and redone? - and expect it all to be done for free?

3. Wait until the garment is finished before complaining that something feels tight/uncomfortable or that you are unhappy about some design feature. Speak out at the fitting!

4. Lecture your tailor about how to cut and tailor after reading a thread or two in this or any other forum/blog

#2 Kerry

Kerry

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:17 PM

5. Turn up to a fitting without underpants.
  • ArgentAussi likes this

#3 JMB

JMB

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:34 PM

Unless you're prepared to supply a large tray of food, sweets and drinks to the cutters, seamstresses and pressers, stay out of the workrooms. When artisans are hard at work, breaking their concentration is an annoyance.

JMB

#4 trovatore

trovatore

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

When I first started in the business, a customer smoking a cigarette or cigar was the most annoying thing I could imagine. Now,that's been replaced by the cellphone. I don't know which is worse.

Trovatore
  • Torry Kratch and Suz like this

#5 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:23 AM

Straighten your back and puff out your chest whilst being measured, fitted or stood in front of a mirror. If you want to be a peacock do it at home.

Sator, If they want their trousers lengthened by 1 or 2 mm, take them in the workroom, put them on the suction table, iron on the bottoms - pull the waistband and hey presto your trousers will be 1 - 2mm longer. (not for long though)
works every time.
For really annoying customers that are a total pain, sew a tiny bit of canvas in the crutch of their trousers. Posted Image

Edited by jukes, 29 October 2011 - 03:28 AM.

• fronno likes this

#6 meiissi

meiissi

Umsie

• Professional
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:english jackets, haute couture

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

6) (Ladies only) Wear another bra at every fitting :Big Grin:
  • Suz likes this

#7 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Straighten your back and puff out your chest whilst being measured, fitted or stood in front of a mirror. If you want to be a peacock do it at home.

I read in a tailoring book (perhaps one suggested in this forum) that clients should not be placed in front of a mirror precisely because their posture will not be natural. Posted Image Maybe I'm a little generous because I would be a client, but a self-conscious person might be inclined overcompensate. It would take a truly self-accepting and fatuous person to stand in front of a mirror while being measured by a stranger with the attitude, "This is the real me. It doesn't get better than this." Posted Image

Posted Image

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#8 amateursarto

amateursarto

Pro

• Senior Apprentice
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:shirt and tie making, tailoring

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:08 AM

Really? Yikes!!!!!!

AMATEURSARTO

#9 tailleuse

tailleuse

Master

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • Interests:Tailoring and couture.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Really? Yikes!!!!!!

Commando Couture?

In almost a year of reading this forum, I think that was the most bizarre (and funniest) thing I've ever seen.

Dignity. Always, dignity. (Singin' in the Rain)

#10 James Williams

James Williams

Umsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:21 AM

Perhaps there is a market for bespoke underwear or codpieces? ;)

I had one of my first clients proceed to lecture me about how the armscye was not deep enough. No explanation or demonstration would convince him otherwise. I ended up cutting it probably 2 inches too deep just to make him happy and get rid of him.

#11 Terri

Terri

Pro

• Super Pro
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

yeah, been there too. At least in the theatre, you can get something for them to put on, since there are supplies of new and gently used. Always pick the used and worst looking pair when this happens.

#12 Measure Man

Measure Man

Umsie

• Super Pro
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

We have had this too!

Do you think we all have the same well travelled customer?

Edited by Measure Man, 29 October 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#13 jukes

jukes

Pro

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

This is from the 70s. A customer came into the shop for a fitting on his trousers, he took them in the changing room to change, after a while he came out without the trousers, when asked where they were he said "they are finished, no good". So we went into the fitting room and found the trousers on the floor full of mess. He was made to pay for them and told that's the most expensive crap you will ever have, and ejected from the premises.

#14 ACECAPS

ACECAPS

Apprentice

• Super Pro
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:patterns,cutting books-new&old,nice+big cutting shears
    tailortalk+c.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

this ever happend to you ?
geezer letting them down and showing their privates ?
nay ?

#15 Der Zuschneider

Der Zuschneider

Master

• Senior Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Interests:- German Cutting Systems
    - Modern Tailoring by German Semi-Traditional Standards

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I didn’t know there are so many weirdoes in this world of tailoring. The worst are overbearing customer maybe coming with the wife. You better raise the price so high that they go somewhere else.
  • Suz likes this
www.berlinbespokesuits.com

#16 jeffrey2117

jeffrey2117

Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and tailoring, numismatics, frustrating my assistant by forgetting where I put things when I move them.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

Hello All,

Your men clients should not insist on you to custom make a ladies garment based on his taking the measurements and bringing material that he calculated!

I viewed the measurements at his insistance and immediately notified him that his measurements would not fit any woman's figure that I had encountered.

I advised him that I would not be able to make the item based on his measurement.

The client then admitted the garment was for himself.

Regards,

Jeffrey P.
"An intelligent man knows he is ignorant, a ignorant man knows he is intelligent".

#17 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

The client then admitted the garment was for himself.

Which leaves us with the question: Did he get his garment?

Did we have showing up in a pullover/ sweater with nothing underneath but a flabby belly? And a sweaty one at that?

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

#18 Schneidergott

Schneidergott

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

this ever happend to you ?
geezer letting them down and showing their privates ?
nay ?

I had a couple of guys in worn out underwear, does that count? Not to forget those lovely "Zitronenfalter" (brimstone butterfly) at the front. :shock::no:
  • tailleuse and jeffrey2117 like this

"Nur der ist Meister seiner Kunst, der immer sucht, das Gute zu verbessern und niemals glaubt, das Beste schon zu haben."
"Only he is a master of his art who always seeks to improve the good and never believes to have the best already"

http://www.dressedwell.net/ It's snarky, but fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users